Renaissance/Turner Basses Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    mjm0 likes this.
  2. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie

Aug 21, 2013
    Cool licks! What was the clip with LaBella tapewounds?

I see another 6-string Renaissance fretless player in here... Welcome! That makes only 2 or 3 so far. Wonder if we'll see a Ren 7?

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Here is an original song of mine from Rare Blend's Stops Along The Way CD. :cool:

This is my RB4FL, recorded through a Raven Labs PHA-1 into a Korg D1600 Mk II.

4. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Three more, from Evolution Theory by Rare Blend. This is my former RB5FL, this time going through my old Avalon U5 into a Mackie D8B to a Tascam MX2424.

Track 1 - Little Mean Baby
    Track 3 - Catemaco
    Track 5 - Chillin'

:bassist:

For those interested, the other tracks I am on are with my old ZON fretted and fretless custom Sonus 5/1 basses.

5. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    @Jeff Scott... Excellent music and playing! Thanks for the links...what strings did you have on your Turner Rens for these recordings?

6. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Thanks! Rare Blend created some wonderful music over the years, check other vids, too. :cool:

Both basses had/have Acousticores.

The ZONS had D'Addario Half Rounds (40-95) on them.

On Destiny's Eyes I also played the main acoustic guitar (right channel).

richfirstbass likes this.
  7. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Sat in on bass with my Pop's Bluegrass band last night, using the fretless Renaissance 5. Used just a touch of MXR micro-chorus, rolled off some treble and punched up the low end.

Those guys play some pretty unusual tunes... very un-traditional, second/third generation of the genre, where many artists of the day were covering 60's folk-rock. Not much of that going around the mainstream anymore, but my ol' man and his buds get it done... and the fretless Ren 5 fits right in.

mjm0 likes this.
  8. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    :thumbup::thumbup: Rare Blend!

These things really do fit into a wide variety.

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Here is another Rare Blend song with the RB4FL. :cool:

10. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Something I've noticed... not sure when this change took place or if it's specific to different basses. Note the difference in placement of the scale between these two Renaissance basses... the mahogany bass' headstock is longer than the maple one, and the frets go further out over the body. The bridge placement on the top is also shifted.

Attached Files:

11. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Fingerboard extensions...

Attached Files:

12. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Bridge placement...

Attached Files:

13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Which one is the later one? I did notice that in a previous posting of that bass; are the scale lengths the same on the two basses?

14. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    The mahogany one is 2010, the quilted maple is 2013; both are 35" scale.

I noticed back on page 10, mimaz' two Ren 5's, a 2009 and 2011, are different in the same ways.

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    My guess is that Rick made them that way to provide a bit more access to the highest "frets".

16. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    That ^^^ makes sense... so based on the pictures here, the transition must have been sometime 2010-11. Not a big deal, just never noticed the difference before... Cool.

17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Moving the neck to the left, however, does make a neck diving bass even more so, unfortunately. That is my only gripe with both Rens I have/had.

18. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Yeah, I thought about that too Jeff, but (I'll measure to be sure) I think the total length is the same on both guitars, it's *only the playable area* that's moved. Like - imagine sliding the bridge, nut, and everything in between them, towards the peghead, without moving the peghead itself... but rather *shortening* the headstock by an inch or so. There would actually be less weight in the neck if I'm correct... probably an insignificant amout... an ounce or two. As you pointed out, yeah, the Dingus extender is a must, at least on the fiver's. I have often wondered where the name came from... there's gotta be a story.:p

19. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Rick? :) We're all ears (well, eyes in this case!)

20. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    The great guitar slinger Danny Gatton had an on-board effects controller (built with his dad) they called The Magic Dingus Box.

I've wondered where that name came from...