replacement speaker for Ashdown MAG 15 deep

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nysurf2772, Dec 14, 2005.

1. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    OK: my cheapo MAG 1-15 deep has developed an interesting but unwanted distortion effect......I assume it's the speaker......can anyone suggest a good replacement speaker for this cab?
  2. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    First, determine exactly what the problem is. Is the distortion at all volumes and all frequencies? Have you tried a different amp? If your bass is active, is the battery OK? In another thread a poster mentioned that he thought his speaker was blown, but it turned out a wire was touching the back of the speaker cone.

Second, if it is the driver, replace it with the exact same driver from an Ashdown dealer, or an OEM driver that has the exact same Thiele-Small parameters. As has been discussed in many other threads, a speaker cabinet and it's ports are designed to get the best out of the driver that's loaded into it.
  3. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    My MAG 307 C-115 has started to distort at volumes above half way. i thought it might be the speaker but plugged a ABM head in to the cab and the speaker is fine so yes, check everything first.

4. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    same head different cab=no distortion noise

so, I guess I'm going to have to take the speaker out and look around for any loose wires...

Ashdown does not post the speaker spec for their "blueline" speakers, so I'm not is a small box so I might have a go with a Legend CB-15