Rex from pantera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Always a big fan of pantera but all the talk is usaly always about vinnie, dime, or phil and never about rex. What do you think of him as a bass player?
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    his tone in "im broken" is sweet. i think thats a cool sound. i can never reproduce it, but then again who could but him. and not a bad player either.
  3. i saw his signature Spector "Rex" on auction on ebay once and bid on it, but... as I expected, got out-bidded. :/

I like his work on Far Beyond Driven. His bass also sounds nice live. I've seen Pantera a couple times in Toronto.
  4. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Totally underrated player. Rex was always in the shadows in Pantera but if you listen to most of his playing he was totally up on things in terms of speed and also doubling most of the awesome, and technical lines/riffs that The Dime hashed out.
    First class player in my book.
  5. Serg

Dec 22, 2004
    this might be a little bit off subject but what ever happened to rex since pantera broke up. Lately I haven't anything from him
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Last I heard he was producing bands somewhere...dunno exactly. After Pantera lost speed he dabbled playing for the band "Down" but I don't think that lasted very long.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Rex produced and played bass on Crowbar's most recent album. Very much in agreement - much like Dime and Vinnie he brought a "groove" to Pantera that's rare in most metal bassists.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He's a great bassist, a wonderful redneck, and of course had great tone.
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Well said :D
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    While "Far Beyond Driven" is far from my favorite Pantera album, Rex's bass work was much more prominent in the mix than in previous Pantera albums and his syncopation is tight.
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd actually submit that Rex's best recorded work is on the two studio tracks from the "Official Live: 101 Proof" CD. "Where You Come From" and "I Can't Hide" have him way up in the mix, and it suits the music more than well. :help:
  12. Rex is a good bassist. When Dimebag is soloing, he keeps the music flowing. He also has a classic Spector thumpy sound.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think Rex is under-rated. Some of my favorite work is off the "Far Beyond Driven" Cd. He fills things up pretty nicely durring the guitar solos with tastefull little metal grooves.
  14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I always thought that Rex had a great tone and did an awesome job filling out the songs. Pantera was a one guitar band and they rarely added rhythm parts during Dimebag's solos but Rex still kept the song full with just a bass part.
  15. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Excellent point...and it's not an easy thing to do well.