1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ridiculously tiny lightweight combos...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vin*tone, May 5, 2010.

1. Hey folks. I'm looking for opinions on the various mini combos out there. ATM I'm running a pretty modular gigging rig - Mesa WA, 2 x Aggy DB112's which covers pretty much any situation I've thrown at it so far. BUT - it'd be really cool to have a little light weight combo which is a walk in, plug-in & play for practicing, jams, and rehearsals; one trip to the car, can be taken on holidays etc...

So I'm after something lighter and smaller than a DB112 - 43lbs, 19"x19"x16", Gives a decent tone, small, doesn't necessarily need to be fully equipped for gigging but thats a bonus, preferably has a Headphone out.

*edit* Size, volume, tone, weight are all subjective. For the purposes of this exercise we want the best amp you can rock up to a barbecue with - with bass in one hand, amp in the other and hopefully a 6 pack and bag of sausages. I'm using my DB112 as a yardstick because it's borderline uncomfortable to carry in one hand - and if you're carrying it 50m or so you'd start breaking a sweat. We don't want to be mucking around with head/combo leads. Particularly after drinking the 6 pack. :D.

Power ratings given @ 4Ω and usually require an extension cab...

Candidates are:

Ibanez Promethean P5110
    12.8"W x 13.1"H x 14.2"D, Weight: 27.6lbs, 500W
    Looks interesting

GK MB150e
    13.5"W x 16"H x 8.5"D - Weight: 26lbs, 150W
    For me probably the cheapest option (there's a used one available). This seems to be the 'Ampeg SVT' of mini combos but I've played one a few times and found it pretty middy. Maybe technology has moved on from this? Maybe I expect DB112 tone much from a tiny 112?

*GK MB112 - not out till Aug?

Markbass CMD121H
    15.3"W x 23.6"H x18.3"D, Weight: 39.5 lbs, 400W

Markbass CMD121P
    15.3"W x 17"H x14.1"D, Weight: 29.3 lbs, 400W
    Packs a 1" compression driver vs. the CMD121P's Piezo tweeter

Markbass Minimark
    8.9"W x 17.24"H x 15.3"D, Weight: 20.72, 150W

3.0 Genz Shuttles
    8T --> 13 1/2" x 11 7/8" x 10 3/4", Weight: 13lbs, 300W
    10T --> 15 1/2" x 14" x 11 3/4", Weight: 18lbs, 300W

Probably ruled out:
    - Phil Jones Briefcase - gets a bad rap for being too quiet.
    - Roland Cube 100 - heavy, bulky. But amazing bang for buck.
    - Ashdown Perfect 10 - Sounds great but heavy/bulkier than other contenders

Thoughts, recommendations anyone?

2. what about the GK MB112

Nvm just realized it wont be released until august

3. Billy hyde brisbane is selling the GB shuttle 10 combo for $999 aus! killer deal and you can always pair it with your 112 if need be for "medium" sized gigs.

4. MB115 and MB210 are.

5. Hey. Looks interesting. I'll add to the OP

6. Yeah - forgot about the GB's too

7. I actually checked it out last week when i was in brisbane. Great amp, for what it is.

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    +1 on the Mb115. Surprisingly loud for 200 watts and great tone. And can be bought new for less than $360 delivered.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Thoughts, recommendations anyone?

With small amps you will need PA support.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have had my Minimark for a couple years now and unless the band is crazy loud it has worked great. People are dumbfounded by how loud it gets and how good it sounds. You can run it into a PA if needed and use it as a personal monitor, I have done this on occasion.

11. Although they are not ridiculously lite, I would say to give those Hartke kickbacks a shot. The one I have is more than enough for practice and rehearsal. They are not really heavy either.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Genz-Benz, GK, Markbass, Ibanez. Looks like you have most of the candidates covered. The Phil Jones Flightcase BG-150 is a great sounding combo, but yeah, it's not going to be as loud as some of the others.

Definitely don't write off that Promethean without giving it a listen! :D

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Tom...I have a Roland Cube 100 and agree with the OP's comment about weight. Great great little unit, but as small as it is, I can find myself three blocks from the car at 2 in the morning and it gets prgressively heavier.

I realize the Promethean is a different sounding and different configured amp. But, knowing that I'm using the Roland for small pub gigs with a drummer and a guitarist, do you believe that the Promethean would stand up nicely beside it? I have no way of A/B'ing the Promethean.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    OP...any consideration given to the TC Electronic RS210C?

I'm sure it's rediculously expensive down under.

Powerful, lightweight, wheels and telescopic handles. Looks interesting to me.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did used to own the Roland combo (personally, I sold it because of the noise/hiss), and I do own the 2x10 Promethean combo. I played the 1x10 Promethean at NAMM Shows only, so I can't make a real informed decision as to how the 1x10 combo would compare to the Roland. But my gut tells me that it would hang just fine. And it can drive another cab, if need be (4-ohm total load).

Tom.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks Tom

17. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Try the GK MB115 or the GK MB210, those are both available now and I guarantee you will blow you away.

I have an MB210 myself and it's simply incredible!

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    GB Shuttle 3x8, 13 lbs, full-featured, enough power to gig with on a larger cab. Park the combo on a 112 or 210 to rehears or even gig with. A superb piece of gear IME.

19. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I just scored an Acme B-1. Way smaller and about 10 lbs lighter than the Aguilar 1x12, but the low end is astonishing.

Paired with my micro-head, that's about as compact and portable as I could reasonably want and it kicks the snot out of my trusty old GK MB150S combo.

20. I recently bought the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 docked on the GB 12T speaker. It's a 36-pound combo kicking out 375W, and it has great full-range sound. Definitely worth looking into...with the head docked it's a combo, with the head off, you have versatility in using any other cabs.