RIP Robbie Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HotelX, Dec 8, 2021.

1. mankybass

mankybass

Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Phaidrus likes this.
  2. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    R.I.P. absolute legend of bass and will be greatly missed. I know a lot of the musicians and reggae fans in my area have always been full of admiration and respect for his playing.

Phaidrus likes this.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    The king of deep groove. RIP.

Phaidrus likes this.
  4. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    The deep minimal grooves of Robbie Shakespeare is probably the main reason I play bass. His tremendous contribution to reggae and dub as well as to bass playing in general is greatly appreciated.

A track from his Miles Davis inspired project Nordub with jazz trumpeter Nils Peter Molvaer, jazz guitarist Eivind Aarset and EDM producer Vladislav Delay.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    GregC likes this.
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Damn. RIP Robbie.

6. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Welllll……Crud.

A true virtuoso doesn’t need to play a lot of notes to get his message across. Robbie could say so much with so little. Every note and space in his bass lines has a purpose. I pity those who don’t appreciate his (style of) playing.

rickdog and jazzyvee like this.
  7. Sad day, RIP Robbie.

8. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Shocked!! I am crying as I read all these tributes

9. jjfret

jjfret

Apr 30, 2008
    Hyattsville Md.
    Earthstrong RIP Robbie

10. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    Another legend gone - dang.

11. LeMaartien

LeMaartien Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Arcachon, France

Tom McClintock, fig and HotelX like this.
  12. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Tragic. Gonna cool out to some Black Uhuru tracks tonight...

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

This happens when you’re ‘late to the party’ for music like this. Jealous of you folks who saw this bass-genius.

I was obsessed with ‘Concrete Jungle’, and only when I learned it was Robbie on this one track, whereas Family Man was on everything else, did I start to dig back into the Sly/Robbie impact. WOW. Compositionally … tonally … feel … everything … this one is on my ‘all time fave’ bass tracks list. RIP good sir.

Matthijs and mking like this.
  14. I know Robbie played on Stir It up. I never heard he played on Concrete Jungle.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    upload_2021-12-9_9-52-32.png

Also, on the ‘Catch a Fire’ making-of doc, they mention it on there. Robbie might even be interviewed for it, but it’s been a while since I’ve watched it.

16. yeah you're right, I just didn't know that. Weird they don't list him as playing on Stir It Up too

ElMon likes this.
  17. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Now, that's a fact I didn't have! One of my favorite tracks ever, on all levels, especially that fabulous guitar solo. It's funny - Many times I've listened to that album, and noted that the timefeel and definition of the bass playing on that particular track was different from the rest of the album - I figured it was compositional, and some difference in the recording technique. Well, compositional, indeed!!!!

ElMon likes this.
  18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    On this end I didn’t know about ‘Stir it Up’. Everything Family Man/Robbie play/played is just a master-class.

First time I heard it, I realized in that moment how much further feel/tone went than ‘chops’. In fact, ‘chops’ to me is ‘can you make my head bob and the hairs stand up on my neck with your playing’. IMO. If you can feel that good and play fast … I’ll totes subscribe to your Youtube page.

After I had Robbie on my radar, I went striaight to the Grace Jones stuff. Subscribed to this thread for the tracks/clips!

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022