1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ritter Trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hey Guys,

I need some advice. I have a pending deal on a Ritter Okon. I'm thinking of trading an Fbass BN5 and a MTD 635-24 for the Ritter plus cash. I tried it out the Ritter, and it's fabulous. Is this a good trade?

Bassconbeatz

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I wouldn't. It's not worth that much to me. However, only YOU can decide that! Do you like the Ritter that much? If so, go for it!

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Them F basses are nice!!! but then again so are Ritters.

4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Well, aside from cheeze's comment, which I'd say is the most important factor in the decision - is it worth it to you - for me it would depend on how much cash I'd be getting back with the Ritter. The BN5 and 635 are two MONSTER basses. I've never played a Ritter but I can't imagine that it (or anything else for that matter) is head and shoulders above either of those two beasts.

For what it's worth. . . :)

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never played a Ritter, but I can't fathom that it would be worth those two basses for me. Like everyone's saying, it's your opinion that counts, but you're giving up two amazing basses, and that's hard to replace. But then again, if I fell in love, I certainly wouldn't be above trading two basses for one, so it really is about simply what you value more.

6. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Were I in your place I wouldn't do it...

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I traded an F bass BNF5 plus cash for a Ritter, and believe me the cash amount was way less than the cost of an MTD 635 (but I got a great deal). I'm not an MTD fan, but just in terms of numbers, I think you're losing out on a used bass.

In other words, I'd rather have a Ritter than either of those two basses, but I think the two basses are worth a bit more. I certainly wouldn't add cash on top of those two! [EDIT: Oh, the Ritter + cash...I need to read more carefully! That makes more sense...seems fine to me value-wise. Details in PM.]

Marshall

8. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I just PMd you. Any pics of your Ritter?

Bassconbeatz

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Here are some:

IMG_8679.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:bassist: Marshall

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Marshall,

As always, you're killing me with your Ritter AND the PJB rig.

You, my friend, are a lucky, lucky man.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hayell Nawl! I think you'd be giving up too much.

12. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I definately like my Ritter more than any F or MTD I've played. You could probably find a better deal on one though.. As a matter of fact I think Brian Barrett just posted that hes getting a 5 string Roya in that has those same laminants, you might want to check him out.

13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Its not every day you come across a Ritter like that. Keep it!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Btw, I guess it depends on how much scratch is coming your way in this deal.

15. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Danke. I envy your 1.5 Dingwalls. I seriously want to get one sometime.

And - I tried to get you to pick up a PJB rig.

Marshall

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah, I hear you...But with that other .5 of the Dingwall coming my way, PJB will have to wait. When I get done, it's looking like about 5K worth of bass.

By the way, the guy who was selling that rig posts here as BigFatBass...He's moved on to a rig with two flite cabs (he lives about 4 blocks away from me). He's a Lakland player, but I'm tryin' to hook him up with some Dingwall time, it might cure that.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

OOOOF!!! Thats tough. As much as I like Ritters, and I do love them, I can't see trading an F and an MTD for one. Maybe if it were two other kinds of high end basses. but for their price range, F and MTD are the cream of the crop, and between the two, every tone you could ever want is there. Good luck on whatever you decide!!

18. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, and judging by most of the post, the answer is no. Thats what I have decided. Most likely I will keep the Fbass, but the MTD might be on the selling block down the road.

Bassconbeatz