Roger Waters has to be stupid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ric5, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Why on earth would anybody want to quit working with David Gilmour?

Dave is a great guitar player, and a great singer ...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Because you see yourself as the supreme master of the band and one guy doesn't want to go along with it.

jar240, Kice, Road Hat and 49 others like this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Why on Earth would Gilmour want to quit working with Waters, who is one of the most brilliant and important composer/lyricists in post-WWII British music?

Gilmour is undeniably a superb musician and a very special talent, but the two Floyd albums he helmed were weak, even after hiring legions of outside writers in an attempt to produce Waters-like material.

BurnOut, ColdEye, BigEarl and 37 others like this.
  4. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    This reminds me of Kyrie Erving...Oops wrong thread-sorry. (not really).

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Have you noticed that Pink Floyd continued to make a lot more money the Waters solo act

Smooth_bass88, Sixgunn and NoiseNinja like this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Why did John have enough with working with Paul?

7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Because he didn't want to keep performing songs about Waters' daddy issues and wanted to finally play with a bassist with a sense of rhythm and melody? :smug:

blue4, BAG, Commreman and 30 others like this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    It's dead, Jim.

fretter, Flooflox, PWRL and 20 others like this.
  9. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Yoko!:woot:

Kice, BostonJazz72, tubedude and 9 others like this.
  10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well he had his head too far stuck up his own rectum to ever get what Syd Barrett was doing, why should he ever acknowledge Gilmour's talent?

It doesn't come as any surprise to me.

I guess he was jealous of their talent.

He is and has always been a talent less hypocritical jerk who should have stuck to what he is good at, being a businessman.

He could probably had turned out a decent shoe salesman.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    aprod, tommyr01, Bass_Pounder and 2 others like this.
  11. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    The fact that they were using the name "Pink Floyd" may have played some role in that. Commercially, there was no way they weren't going to make more money than Roger on his own.

12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    You're telling me the Floyd albums' basslines didn't groove?

Kice, StuStu, Spectrum and 7 others like this.
  13. thebreakman

thebreakman \m/

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Have you ever been in a band? If so, enough said!!!!!

Flabass, el_Bajo_Verde, ahc and 12 others like this.
  14. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Admittedly Roger Waters somehow managed to lay down some pretty interesting both groovy and melodic bass lines on the first couple of releases by Pink Floyd, if that was even him, later though most of supposedly Roger's bass lines were actually recorded by Gilmour.

I know for a fact that when Pink Floyd started out he didn't even know how to tune his own bass.

And this video should be a proof of that whatever talent Roger possibly did use to posses on bass since has mysteriously disappeared:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  15. I refuse to play the "who's the greater villain?" game. I do know this. They were both better together than apart.

Personally, I know which one I would rather have lunch with.

Mugre

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    David Gilmour is a huge talent. His guitar work was instrumental in giving Pink Floyd their success, and he is a great singer, and he is a better bass player then Roger Waters,

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You know, it was so well liked the last time I used it, I thought... why not?

Here we go...

jamro217 likes this.
  18. Sink Pisser

Sink Pisser

Aug 21, 2017
    Yeah what a talentless jerk. He couldn't acknowledge Syd Barrett's talent but instead went on to write such crappy and talentless albums like Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Animals. Sounds like a shoe salesman wrote those albums.

Dasgre0g, smeet, Grumry and 23 others like this.
  19. This video is cringe worthy. Roger claimed he was drunk. He's decent with a pick but this horrible one finger technique is plain embarrassing. I'm a huge Roger Waters/Pink Floyd fan. I love his music and artistic vision but I can do away with all of his political and Anti Israel rants.

Tari, mikeyjm2, JMacBass65 and 10 others like this.
  20. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that you are clearly being sarcastic.

I guess Dark Side of the Moon is actually a great progressive pop album though, even if not exactly a piece of art, and that Roger Water's own the rest of Pink Floyd the honor as of why his concept turned out so great.

I actually do think it is not too far off to imagine a shoe salesman with some insight in the music industry backed up by talented musicians possibly could have come up with a similar concept in a strike of luck.

He even hired girl singers and a saxophone player for that album, even if he just laughed at Syd Barrett, writing his suggestion off as the words of a mad man, when Syd was suggesting Pink Floyd to do just that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
    ColdEye likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.