Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 25, 2003.

1. I know a lot of people around here have roscoe basses. I am looking at some LG3005's on the used market and it appears that you can pick up a used one in ecxellent shape for a good price these days. I have never played one before and would have to buy off the internet, and I don't have a place around me that sells them. so I am looking for any info you could give me on them. how do they sound, how is the playability, string spacing ect...

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I no longer have one but have had 4. They were all excellent. Wide spacing, think sound, the best B string(IMO), and well put together. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'd make it a point to find one with the 3 band eq, not the 2 band. Nothing to do with the mid control but the 2 band seemed very bright and "clacky" to me. Best of luck

Rob

3. Maybe you've seen mine?
    Roscoe page
    It's a great bass. I love the feel and look of it. The neck is great, very playable. Some people say they play like butter, but that sounds really messy to me. the workmanship is top notch. I don't have much to compare it to, but I don't know how it could get much better.

It has a 35" scale, so you need to stretch a little more compared to a 34", but I think that's part of why the B is so great on these basses. Wood selection is super too. The burl on mine is to die for. Much better in person than the pictures. I don't play it nearly enough, no gigs or bands right now.

Mine is actually an LG2005, looks the same but has passive controls, and EMG active pups, and doesn't have the carved top and glossy finish of the 3005s.

BTW it's for sale, PM me if your interested.

Also, there was a thread a while back called "show us your Roscoes" or something. Lots of Roscoe information. check out Keith's site too, there's some info there, and you could email him, he answered my questions right away.

They're great basses, I hope you find one you like.

BT

4. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I own a roscoe.. Has the best feel of any bass ive ever played, honestly. I found my dream bass pretty early into the game. You seriously wont be dissapointed if you decide to get one.

5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have an SKB-3006 and I love it. I chose it over may other high end basses. It's been a dream. I don't agree with the wide spacing Rob talked about. The MTD and some others have a wider spacing. But it's good for my small hands. I have the three band Bartolini EQ that Rob talked about and I can get many types of sounds from it. I've had two different guys tell me that it sounded like a P bass or a Jaco growl thing depending on how I've set the pickup selector control. It has a nice modern sound with the pickups blended.

Keith Roscoe is a great guy to deal with. I'll post a picture soon when I visited his shop while on vacation in NC this August. Just a real nice guy and great basses.

Good luck. Bob

6. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Roscoe basses are great and I am still saving for one. :D
    I personally like the shape and aesthetics of their basses, especially the carved top.

One thing though, and I may be wrong on this. Roscoes are excellent for fat finger tone but when come to slap and pop, they are not as equally impressive. Do you Roscoes owner out there feel the same way?

7. Wastegate

Wastegate

Sep 25, 2003
    Norcross, Ga
    Years and years ago I played a Roscoe 6 string and swore one day I'd have one. 2 years ago I bought an LG3006 and swear it's the best bass I've ever played. I've got the 3 band, 18 volt, Bartolinis and agree with the other guy that you can dial in any tone you want. Freakin amazing, hands down!

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have owned two of the LG 3005 basses and are top notch. Unfortunatly, I have to sell one of them to help finance my F Bass BN 5 I purchased. Like someone else mentioned "the best B-string around" and that is no joke. The B-string is so powerful that you have to be a little careful not to play it too hard as to keep the volume in line with the other strings.

The five string basses have 18mm string spacing so the spacing is close to the normal four string spacing of 19mm. Very good tone and every note comes out strong. Both my basses have the Bartolini 3-band preamp and is the way to go in my opinion although I have not played a Roscoe with the Aguilar 3-band.

You won't be dissapointed at all with one, matter of fact I have discussed with Keith about building me a four string.

Go for it!

Pictures of mine can be seen at the below link. I still have the Buckeye Burl and I very much miss the Afzelia Burl 3005 that I sold.

Shawn
    http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not even going to try to describe how amazing Roscoe basses are, because it has already been done above. However, if you like a little flash with your world-class tone, Keith has an amazing wood collection and has some of the greatest tops and fingerboards around. If you're looking for a bass that will really capture the collective eye of your audience (and take the spotlight away from that showboating guitarist! :D ), you will definately not be disappointed with a Roscoe. They are simply amazing sounding and playing instruments.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Did you really think they have wide spacing? Because I felt they didn't, that is why I decided against them as the bass I would use.

Other than that, great basses, and spacing is usually personal preference anyways. B string is usually out of hand on them!

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've never owned one, but have played several... All were TOP NOTCH instruments.. Unbelievable "MWAH" factor on the fretless models.. Hmmmmm.. might have to look into a 7 string..

12. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I have 2 SKB3006s'. Fretted and Fretless. The fretted string spacing is 19mm at the bridge and 11mm at the nut. A little tight, but I like it for a six string. The tone is PHAT, PHAT, PHAT! All the stuff already said about the B string is absolutely true. I have always contended that Keith's Basses are top shelf, boutique quality at 30-40% less cost. I have other fretted basses I will play, but the fretless was, is, and most likely will always be my first call fretless.I've had it for almost 3 years now and have yet to GAS for another one.

13. I've got a Roscoe SKB-3005 fretless and I LOVE IT!! Adrian will tell you I'm picky, but this instrument is awesome! Very expressive fretless and lots of tone possibilities. HUGE B string, which is pretty much Keith Roscoe's trademark.

For slap......it IS comfortable to slap on, but will not produce a Marcus Miller-type Fender tone. That's the one that's not in its vocabulary. The Jaco is there, the P bass is there, fretless Roscoes RULE!

I don't think you will be disappointed. If you are ready, give Adrian Garcia a call @ www.accessbass.com. Very nice guy and does great customer service.

Let us know what you decide!!:bassist:

BTW, here's my fretless!

14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

One thing about the B string. It can be a little over powering compared to the other strings. I spoke to Keith Roscoe about this. He said that if it is trouble to you, just tighten the neck pickup screw by the B string side. It will take some of the edge off the power to the B string. I have yet to do it, and may never do it, but it's something you can do if needed.

15. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Do you guys prefer the SKG (bigger) to the LG (Jimmy Haslip) models?
    WHY?

16. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I like my smaller roscoe.. I own a Stingray as well and Its nice having a light bass. It still feels and plays the same as the larger.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Roscoes are fantastic basses with the best and most responsive lo b's around - John is right- the slap sound is not Fendery but still effective- the fingerstyle sound is to die for- huge... i prefer the sbk body style for no particular reason and that's why its the model i carry -- Keith is a great guy and the basses are top notch and very reasonably priced...

18. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Lamar Jones said he found the string spacing at the bridge to be too narrow in the Roscoe.
    I'm looking for a bass that has 18mm.
    Does the Roscoe have a hipshot bridge that allows string spacing adjustment at the bridge?
    If it does have one of these, it should allow you to go from 18mm to 19mm if desired, right?

19. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    Both of my SKB's are 19mm at the bridge and 11mm at the nut. The SKB body style is larger and I like the way it sits. Very comfortable. The LG seems to neck dive a little bit more than the SKB.

20. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I checked on this before I bought my two LG 3005's, Keith at Roscoe told me it is 18mm at the bridge on the five string basses. I can't be comfortable with any less and am very happy. I do like the 19mm spacing on my F Bass BN 5 better though.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace