1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That's great, Joe! :thumbsup:

That's a great looking photo of Blondie and Candy, too! Very professional looking.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Joe BassPlayer likes this.
  2. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    Thanks! Yea I bet he could do slanted J Bartolini since alignment of poles aren’t an issue kinda like the old Warwick a thumb 5’s. Maybe close together towards the bridge who knows I bet he could as long as they weren’t traditional J pickups with poles

armybass, Fred312b and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  4. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Exhibition flamed ash

5. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So anybody compared the OEM Roscoe D’addario strings to the EB Slinky nickel RW’s?
    The EB Slinky’s sound good on my PJ but are quite polite unless I boost the upper mids.
    Maybe I just need to A/B them myself. I was hoping to forgo the inevitable string merry go round.

Nightman likes this.
  6. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    But it’s fun, right?

7. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I suppose it is Ray but it’s also expensive!:)

Fred312b likes this.
  8. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I know! :D I’m wanting to A/B two basses, but refuse to install a set of custom strings designed for bass (A) on bass (B) so that, at least, both will have the same type strings. I’m just going to install on bass (B) a set of new strings, which it does need, and go from there.
    That’s close enough, right? :)

Fred312b and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  9. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Not as scientific, but a lot easier :D

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Strings that have really surprised me recently are GHS Boomers. I put them on one of my basses and I love them. Less tension than the D'addarios and maybe less aggressive, but not polite.

11. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I know it's not the same instrument, but when I was playing guitar exclusively the GHS Boomers were the only strings I used. They just worked!

Skip Chucker and emjazz like this.
  12. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I haven’t tried GHS bass Boomers in years. I remember switching from Roto-sound Swing bass to those in the late (drum roll) 70’s!
    I know, showing my age!
    At any rate, I loved the feel of those (compared to the roughness of the Swing bass strings). And I remember that they still had the nice grand piano tone (just a bit warmer).
    I may have to give them a try if the Pressurewounds don’t do it for me.

emjazz and Skip Chucker like this.
  13. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Do boomers work on 35” scale? I remember before they were extra long (and trying to wrap the e string around my hipshot detuner), but now they look like the are just long scale...

14. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I used Boomers a lot in the late 70s and early 80s. Hadn’t used them in years but I recently had them on my franken-Fender PJ and they were great. Nice balanced tone, nice feel. I just switched that bass to Fender 9050 ML flats, which I also like. As a matter of fact I now have flats on 4 out of my 6 bass guitars - I think I’m being seduced to the dark side. Still have XLs on my Roscoe, though!

15. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    They work well for me.

Joe BassPlayer and Fred312b like this.
  16. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've heard good things about the Fender 9050 ML flats. I should probably give them a try too.
    Oh man! Here we go again! The string merry-go-round!:banghead:

oren likes this.
  17. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Need help finding a Tone control pot to put back into my Buckeye bass. I was told to find a 25k volume pot. The only one I can find like I need is this one. Would one like this work or does it have to be a 25k pot?

7E526BD3-C66B-4152-A502-1D705638DD93.png

18. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry! Can't help you much!! The only thing I know to do with pot is to cook in it or smoke it!

19. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Dang, I moss my Roscoe- not that I can play like him, but...

20. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    That's Byron Carter. He's plays with Eric Gales. I met him at Keith's shop while I was picking up my bass almost two years ago. He's a legit dude.

We need a post covid GTG. I'd love to trade stories and share basses with you guys.

Joe BassPlayer and armybass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021