1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running 2 Preamps simultaneously

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmusic17, May 12, 2011.

1. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Im sure this has been beat to death in one way or another and I have done plenty of searching. Maybe I am just to technically retarded to figure it out.

So ok here is the question.

I have a hartke lh1000 and bbe 383 preamp running bi-amped right now. I wanted to add a sansamp rbi. How do I run both preamps simultaneously into the power amp?

2. With a line mixer Dear Henry.....

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I use a Rane 42s line mixer.

I use 4 separate preamps and send the Rane into the Effects return of a G-K 700rb.

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    That will allow me to use both preamps at the same time without having to have an a/b switch that only allows me to use one at a time?

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Run them parallel. Split your signal, then run through the effects, then remix your signal.

I run 4 parallel signals. bass effects

6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Well... I'm not clear whether or not you are wanting to plug in ONE instrument simultaneously into two separate preamps.

If so, you might better off just getting a simple splitter. Check out the Radilal Tonebone - $350 retail.

There are probably cheaper devices out there that will do the same thing.

7. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Well my ultimate goal is to have the compressor in the 383 pre running while i use the sansamp rbi to control my tone.

8. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    so yes I guess that is what i want. is to plug one instrument into two preamps simultaneously. Now the big question. How the hell do I hook that all up? What cables do I run where to achieve that goal. assuming i am getting a tonebone.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Now that I am looking at the equipment you already have... why are you putting a preamp (BBE 383) before the preamp of the Hartke?

OR, are you plugging your bass into the BBE 383 preamp and then plugging that into the Return (on the back of the Hartke) to use ONLY the power amp? Effectively not using the preamp of the Hartke.

Here's what you could do:

1) Bass plugged into the Input of the Tonebone
    2) Each output of the Tonebone plugged into separate channels of a line mixer, such as the Rane 42s
    3) Output of the line mixer into the ‘Return’ of the Hartke

You would be using the Hartke ONLY as a power amp.

There are far less expensive devices instead of the Rane and Radial out there. These are top of the line pro gear pieces. There might even be some Behringer gear that would also work. :eek:

10. Doesn't every powered stomp count as a pre-amp too?

I cannot envision the flow of the OPs request - but I don't see any trouble with pre-amp'ing a pre and pre-amp'ing that signal to another pre-amp and so forth.

They all should be able to handle that pre-pre-pre-pre, etc., in their input - right?

11. Just to totally clarify your question, do you mean Bass into SansAmp, then from SansAmp into BBE, then BBE into your amp?

If so, you should have no problems if you watch your gain structure. Switch the output of the SansAmp to Instrument level.

You might want to check your terminology :) , I'm pretty sure the LH1000 doesn't do bi-amping (I could be wrong). It does have two power amps but I'm pretty sure there's no frequency crossover, i.e. low frequencies going through one amp and highs through the other. Looking at it, it appears the same full-range signal goes to both amps.

Hope this helps... :)

12. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Thank you for bearing with me. I know what I want to achieve. I guess I am just having a hard time explaining it. Yet it looks like you are starting to follow. As of right now I am plugging into the BBE then running that into the return of the Hartke bypassing the preamp on my Hartke power amp. So you are correct there.

What I am planning to do is add a Sansamp RBI. So I would have two preamps. So I would be plugging into the RBI and then BBE then my Hartke. So just to clarify. In doing this I would like to use the RBI for gain control and tone. At the same time I want the BBE running for the compressor. So both preamps are working together. While my Hartke is used solely as a power amp.

So then would it be something like this:

bass>input on tonebone>both outputs plugged into separate channels into line mixer>line mixer plugged into return of Hartke

Would that do what I explained above or can I just plug the outputs of tonebone into each input of the preamps and then the output of the preamp into the return on my Hartke?

I hope I didn't make this even more confusing.

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Just do what you said: "I would be plugging into the RBI and then BBE then my Hartke"

Simply 'daisy-chain' them.

Putting a line-mixer between wouldn't be needed, nor would the Tonebone - if I now understand the chain you want.

Before I thought you wanted to access the preamps separately, simultaneously and mix the two together.

But now ti appears that you simply want one to go into the next, then the next...

Bass >> RBI >> BBE >> Hartke Return.

Just get some good quality cables - keeping the connections short.

14. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks so much for the help. So just to summarize:

Bass>RBI>RBI send into BBE return>BBE send into Hartke return.

And if I do want to access the preamps separately just simply add the tonebone and plug the outputs of that into each input on the preamps? I wouldn't have to plug anything else up differently?

15. Hey Ric5, I've always loved the simplicity of your setup with the 2 rolls mixers. I would love to try that sometime. They're only $50 each so hopefully soon.

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Looks like you would need a mixer after the two preamps. This way you could select either pre, both, or mix the two.

Bass >> Tonebone >> (2) Preamps >> Mixer (at least 2 channels) >> Power amp.

17. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Sub'd.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The compressor on the BBE 383 is cruddy in comparison to the opto stomp. Buy the OptoStomp pedal and sell the 383. Problem solved :)