Rupert Neeve RNDI vs Radial JDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassworship1, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive Suspended

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Has anyone played both of these simple DI’s? Wanted to know your impressions of them and if there is a noticeable difference tonally between them. Which one would you prefer?

2. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    We’ve used both at church for the past 6 years. Initially it was the Radial DI, then JDI, then the J48, now we’re all on RNDI’s at all our locations. They just give the bass a better sound.

We’ve even researched and rented a system of 8 channel devices that can handle drums as well (same as 8 RNDI’s basically) I forget what they were called.

I’ve moved my studio into RNDI as well. I had the Noble twice and I think the RNDI is just as good without the EQ and power options, but waaaay cheaper and smaller.

It’s hard to describe the tone, maybe I’ll make a comparison video at some point. But after years of going back and forth with the church’s RNDI’s and my noble and various DI’s I’ve brought in, I finally am a firm believer that the RNDI is a solid choice. It just sounds growlier and warmer, still transparent but just has a richness to it that kills in a mix

Zbysek, tedsalt, speedball3 and 9 others like this.
  3. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive Suspended

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    You’ve got me wanting one now lol. Thank you for the feedback as this is exactly what I want it for all my church gigs.

Zbysek and adamaarts like this.
  4. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    RNDI is awesome.

Zbysek, jdwinva, tedsalt and 3 others like this.
  5. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The RNDI is a superior piece of gear.

The JDI may be "flatter" or "less colored", but the RNDI adds depth and richness to any source you plug into it: very much in the Neve wheelhouse of sound.

6. Both are excellent choices but are completely different devices.

The Radial JDI [Jensen DI] is a passive DI using the Jensen transformer that has become the industry standard, it is not the only box that offers that transformer but it is the best known. Jensen, Switchcraft and several other manufacturers do offer DI boxes with that transformer.

The RNDI [Rupert Neve Direct Interface] is an evolution in active direct boxes using a proprietary transformer and Class A circuitry associated with their world class microphone preamps. IMO the result rivals that of other top end DI boxes including very expensive tube DI boxes at a much more affordable price. There is an enhancement of plugging your instrument into a great old mixing board that most bass players will never get to experience but with a RNDI you will get that experience!

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Only phantom power though?

8. I am wondering about this as well. Let's say you're just playing a bass guitar through this piece of gear into an amp. Where does the phantom power come from if you're not using an XLR?

9. Mushroo

Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Huh? Why would you do that? Why not just plug your bass directly into the amp?

But to specifically answer your question, I don't think the parallel "thru" jack requires phantom power. (Can a RNDI owner please confirm?")

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    MDBass likes this.
  10. It is phantom power only, no battery or other power option.

@Mushroo you are correct the thru should pass signal w/o power

@chuck3 there are stand alone phantom power supplies Rolls PB23 for about $45 from Amazon

Mushroo likes this.
  11. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I can confirm. I do this regularly. I own the RNDI, JDI and the Noble in addition to a slew of pedal DI boxes. The RNDI is easily the best value DI out there. It sounds spectacular. The way it copes with high end frequencies is amazing. It makes fret noise sound "good".

Zbysek, JulienP., villis and 3 others like this.
  12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Any issues with the RNDI and basses with preamps (referring to what we call "active basses") or using a preamp pedal into the RNDI? Since it is not a passive DI I'm wondering about noise.

halech54 likes this.
  13. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I just received a RNDI last night. Played with it a little. I can tell you that a passive bass into the RNDI by itself is awesome. It just adds a Neve vibe and gives it an airy and slightly driven character, and seems to be very even all across the neck.

I can't tell you about actives, but I have a Trickfish Minnow pre that I can stick in front of it and try. I'll let you know.

When I put the LA-1A in front of it I don't like that combo quite as much but I haven't put much time into it yet. Seems to lose a little off the top.

Of course I don't get any real world experience until December sometime (maybe, if my church schedules me; my work schedule sucks), so it's just home trials at this point.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Zbysek likes this.
  14. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I ran a Squier VMP5 into the LA-1A into a Trickfish Minnow Preamp, which they claim is low noise, and in my limited experience so far, it's pretty darned good, then into the RNDI to a Xenyx 1204 mixer into Sony MDR-7506 studio phones, and it sounds marvelous. (sorry about the run on sentence). Clean, tubey. a little Neve special sauce throughout.

I wouldn't expect you'd have any issues running active basses thru the RNDI whatsoever. I do think you'd probably like it.

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Fantastic. Thank you.

16. Jordi Guardia

Jordi Guardia

Apr 6, 2020
    Hello.
    I play an active fodera stndard

which one do you recomend me for clean and brigth slap tone?
    Thanks!!!

17. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    the RNDI is super quiet too . I compared it against a Avalon U5, and it was noticeably quieter (not that the U5 is noisy). the U5 has that massive low end that is super deep, the RNDI seems more "puts out whats put in" type DI.

the radial class A active DI is another excellent choice.

tedsalt likes this.
  18. Bartok

Bartok

Jan 6, 2009
    Murcia (SPAIN)
    Hello!

I own a clone of the Neve 1073 Preamp, the SoundSkulptor MP573 & EQ573 Custom (I spend a lot of money in upgrading electronic components on it).

I own a Radial JDI (passive), Radial JDV mk3 (active) and an Avalon U5.

What could offer me the RNDI compared with those DI’s or the Neve clone preamp?

Best!!

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    RNDI is active, JDI is passive. As a rule of thumb, active bass ? use passive DI. Passive bass ? use active DI. The difference between good DI's are pretty subtle - subtle enough that for live use it just isn't noticible out front. Unless of course they are 'color' machines which is sort of a different thing...

For live, for me nothing beats a Radial or a countryman... they all sound fine and are indestructible. In my sound co I carried a U5 for a couple of years, I about had to beg people to use it... sold it bought more JDI's...

and of course, my interest is up for trying an RNDI. I just don't expect it to stick...

Zbysek likes this.
  20. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, I'm a happy RNDI owner. Use it to record active & passive basses alike, plus some direct guitar, piezo mic'd instruments, etc. Wish I had others against which to compare it, but I also feel very comfortably that my search is done.

@Bartok , I own a Black Lion B173, also a 1073 clone, and it's got a Hi-Z input essentially for DI. The thing is, that input bypasses the input transformer, and the RNDI lets me access it with superb sound and also deliver consistent DI in live recording/mix settings. Dunno if that sells it enough to warrant switching to it, but if you happened to end up with one, I'm certain you'd enjoy it.

Zbysek likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 21, 2021