1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SBL: Quitting

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Whatever the endeavor, quitting is guaranteed failure.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Gotta quit while you're ahead.

sonojono, jkazam, andruca and 4 others like this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nah, (mostly) quitting YouTube and Facebook has actually been a very positive experience.;)

4. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Amen. Nuked Facebook a few years ago, and I'm over a week into disabling, but not nuking, my Instagram account. I don't miss Facebook at all and never did, but I'm a little jittery regarding IG. It's been very useful for getting to know like-minded synth folk and I'm missing that community.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :D

teh-slb likes this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It took three tries for me with Facebook, peer pressure was very strong, and only retiring from gigging completely made it really work. I pretty much got told I needed a FB account if I wanted a NAMM badge one year, even. So I went with accepting no friends and just having a business page, which IMEis pretty worthless if you're not willing to buy into FB's pay for clicks model. I still managed to get more than 1800 hits in less than a day with one particular new bass day post though, and it was just an in-progress pic.

@Dr. Cheese: no sniping at your viewing habits intended, it seems to make you quite happy beyond the GAS inducing aspect.

teh-slb and TerribleTim68 like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I took nothing personally. I tend to restrict my use of Facebook myself.

8. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I found Jaron Lanier's book Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now pretty compelling, on top of my own experience.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Many years ago, I was watching Soul Train, and the host, Don Cornelius, asked a vocal group why they were successful. A member’s answer was “we never quit singing.” He explained that there were lots of groups in the neighborhood, but all the others eventually broke up, but they kept on singing. I have often told my I my kids that I cannot guarantee their success, but if they quit, I can guarantee their failure.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    I watched this last night. It is a nice message to pick yourself up.

11. Hahaha, I haven't watched it yet, because I actually quit SBL last November! :roflmao:

In all honesty, I actually really enjoyed SBL and found it helpful....for me (YMMV). But in my current climate I just couldn't afford it anymore.
    As for quitting social media, meh. I use it how I want and that's it. I won't use it how others think I need to and that's their problem. Once you reach that point, it's a lot easier. :thumbsup:
    But at the end of the day, I need certain social media for some of the things I'm involved in.

kodiakblair, five7 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Yes, I can relate. Not a cruise ship gig, but it was a "thanks, we'll maybe call you "

Guess what? They called me a few weeks later when they were somewhat desperate, because there was no one else and they knew bass was in my heart.... I declined because I was not willing to attempt a 40 song set list with one days' notice. Too bad we couldn't have worked things out sooner.

Dr. Cheese and JoshS like this.
  13. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Never heard of SBL, should be easy for me to quit while I'm ahead. :)

thabassmon, Helix and Sparuto like this.
  14. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    So much honesty... sips coffee...

I've been playing bass for 35 years. I have never had anything that remotely looks like success. Not financial, not in respect from any peer group, not in notoriety anywhere. In fact I feel as though most of my local bass playing community thinks I am insane or they have never heard of me. No one knows who I am. I couldn't get a gig today if you put a gun to my head... Does this sound like something I should continue to dump hours of my life and thousands of dollars into? I've been in some bands, but that is kinda behind me at this point. I play in my living room for myself and occasionally stream to my 6 friends on facebook. I put videos on YouTube that no one watches. I have albums on Spotify that no one listens too. Distrokid owes me 9 bucks. I have 30 grand in basses, pedals, and recording gear and 35 years of experience. What do I have to show for it? A closet full of gear I paid way too much for and will never be able to get my money out of. How Icarus falls...

I play for me. Always have. But the effort to put it out there for anyone and everyone to ignore is getting tired.

The big takeaway unfortunately is that I have been wasting time chasing faeries in my backyard.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It all depends on what it is you are quitting, I'd say...and why.

DirtDog, Jon McBass and lfmn16 like this.
  16. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Regarding the OP, I never quit, but I did walk away for awhile, more than once. I think breaks are healthy. Of course, the difference is I've never made music my way to make a living. As Damien Erskine brilliantly put it, I'm an enthusiast.

BurtMacklinFBI and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. I never joined any social media. I own no business, didn't have a job that required a lot of instant messaging or an online social media presence, etc.

It seems a great shame that with the advent of instant global communication, where I could instantly correspond with anyone around the world, has degenerated into an expensive, aggressive, and abusive gossip box where people are so unbelievably mean and uncivil. The Digital Tower of Babble. And for this I pay a wireless plan and carry around a thousand-dollar device I'll sit on and lose ? Nope.

I do get a sinister satisfaction at the comments when I pull out my flip-phone. I'm my own influencer, I don't know what's trending, and things stay . . . . pretty quiet. As I prefer. I get to have a few published comments as a curmudgeon here on TB and over at the Alembic Club, and that's enough for me.

J_Bass, Jeff Elkins, 20GLJazz and 3 others like this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True, I gave up sprinting in sixth grade, when I realized I was fast for a really big guy, not fast in absolute terms.

Timmy Liam, cnltb and JoshS like this.
  19. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    FB is an utter black hole and I don't miss it one bit. Plus, F that Zuck guy.

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    And why.

This whole "never quit" is just bos taurus excrement. I was in sales for 10 years. I was a mediocre salesman (too honest) and I should have quit long before I did. I went into IT and in about three years I doubled my salary. I went on to become a technical director and was exponentially more successful than I every could have been as a salesman. My first instrument was drums - boring; then trombone - hated it; then piano - liked it but not passionately; then bass - I couldn't put it down.

Despite the motivational regurgitation, you SHOULD reassess your situation and quit and change course if necessary. Everybody can't be good at everything.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021