1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Hellcat VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Showdown, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just bought this Schecter Hellcat VI. It is really fun to play, and sounds great.

SchecterHellcatVI.

I would really recommend one for anyone looking for a Fender Bass VI type of bass. I use it as a bass, not as a baritone guitar/solo instrument. It has plenty of low end, and sits in the mix really well. For those of you who say "it's not a bass, it's a baritone guitar, you can't use it as a bass" (you know who you are) listen to this clip and tell me it's not a bass.

2. Glider

Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I love my schector elite 4!

In case ya havn't seen it there is a Schector mega thread here...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220001

3. Wow, that came from a guitar? Cool. But, its still a guitar.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    This is where I sigh heavily and shake my head. :rollno:

5. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

It's NOT a guitar, it is a 6 string bass, tuned like a guitar but an octave lower. The EADG strings are exactly the same as on a 4 string bass. Jack Bruce used one the first two Cream albums (Fender Bass VI on the first one and Danelectro bass VI on the second).
    It is a bass, not a guitar. 30" scale.

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    :D I knew someone would say that, that is why I posted the sound clip. I guess it didn't work.

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's okay man- we VI-ers gotta stick together.

I was really considering the Hellcat for a while- the three hums with coil-tapping seems like a big plus to me- but the Gretsch I have now popped up for a nice price, and it's all sparkly...I can't resist sparkles.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Got a picture of it? They look nice, but I've never played one.

I have a Danelectro VI, but there are some issues. It won't intonate and if I add any distortion the pickups hum like crazy. The Schecter doesn't have those problems, and the neck is more comfortable. I'm going to play it on our gig tomorrow night. Should be cool.

9. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The only pics I have were taken by the seller, but here you go:

2nu3r45.
    2akeqh0.

Aside from the nice sparklies, and the sheer cool factor of the Gretsch name (at least for me), the big draw was the Bigsby. Maybe not the most useful thing in the world, but it's sure as hell fun to play with- which sort of sums up the whole instrument, actually.

10. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Bigsby is cool. Nice looking bass. How does it sound?

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    It has a fairly balanced response from the pickups- though kinda quiet. So a lot of it is up to EQ and your attack. My favorite sound is with the neck pickup soloed, and the tone dimed- with boosted bass and treble, rolled off mids, palm-muted with a pick. Nice, thick thump, but with that sort of tic-tac click.

But you can make it sound like a baritone, playing chords on the upper strings and all that. It can even get that sort of midrangey P-bass grind.

Overall pretty neat.

12. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Oh, it's one of those. :meh: :ninja: :D

13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Cool.

14. One of these is next on my list as soon as I get done assembling my 8 string.

15. Sweet! I'm lusting for a bass VI of some kind, and have considered both a Schecter and a Gretsch. Sadly enough, I haven't had a chance to try either. I have played a Jaguar Bass VI, though, and loved it. So now I'm saving up for one.

The poster who thinks that the Schecter is a guitar is absolutely right, BTW. In fact, all bass guitars, no matter how many strings they have, are guitars, innit?

16. Schecter has it listed as a guitar.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp
    Have a look for yourself.

17. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't care. It is a bass, copied from the Fender BASS VI. If you were familiar with the Fender Bass VI you would understand that it is a bass. It is tuned an octave below a guitar, just like any bass. You heard the clip, does it sound like a guitar or a bass? It sounds like a bass, so it is a bass.

Here is a little history of the Bass VI:

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

Here is a picture of Jack Bruce playing one in Cream (as a bass).

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The Fender is the only 6-string bass Jack played with Cream, the Dano Longhorn was a 4-string.

I've bee playing 6-string bass since 1990. Started on a Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass VI, then got a Fender VI. Those were all I played for a few years, then sold them and didn't play VI for a while, now I have another JJ Longhorn VI and a Gretsch like above.

19. Thats cool. So yours is tuned BEADGC?

20. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    EADGBE