1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sennheiser HD-280 or Sony MDR-7506

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by needmoney, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Both get good comments here. I'll mainly be using them for practice with my headphone amp, and some small recording here and there.

Cheers!

2. Sony MDR-7506. I use it for practicing and actually prefer it over the beyerdynamic DT250-80's I have which are twice as expensive.

I think the 7506 would sound a little better than the HD280, but admittedly I haven't tried the sennheiser.

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    The HD280's have fabulous bass response, way down there. Perhaps not ideal for reference mixing, but for practicing they're great!

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I don't know how the response of the 7506 compares to the 7505, but I love the 7505.

5. 7506 start at 10Hz, the 7505 at 60Hz.

6. Also, comfort is a big factor. I'm gonna be wearing these for loooong practice sessions so I need some comfortable ones.

7. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I have the Sony 7506 headphones. They are very comfortable and sound great.

When I was looking at headphones I compared these two also. Ultimately, I chose the Sony's over the Senn's because I heard the Senn's weren't as comfortable. I have never used the Senn's though, so I can't really say if that's true or not.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been using the Sennheisers for about 500 years now, love 'em. If they completely broke I'd get another set.

...hmm, not a particularly helpful comment...

Well, they're comfortable anyway. I don't have problems wearing them for hours on end.

9. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Haven't tried the Sony, but I'm quite happy with my Sennheiser HD-280 for practice. I drive mine with a Line6 Bass PODxt plugged into a low-end 6-channel mixer.

All things being equal, you may care to check how they fit on your head. Different styles/designs really make a difference based on size of your ears, size of your head, etc.

Unless you're looking for professional studio/mixing gear, comfort may be more of a factor.

10. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Both are good products. I think you'll be happy with the sound quality of either. dbcandle had a great suggestion to try them for fit and comfort. That might be the deciding factor.

That's being said, I used to work for Sony and still have stock. So please buy the Sony product. lol.

11. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have used 7506's for years. I really like them, and I find them very comfortable.

12. Don't know about the HD 280, but the 7506 I've tried were very uncomfortable for me, the cup is too small and is pressing on my ears so wearing them for any length of time was impossible without getting headache. Best is to try them for yourself.

13. mantekka

mantekka

Nov 21, 2006
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have the HD 280s, haven't tried the Sonys.
    Love the bass from the Sennheisers, and very comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

14. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Sony is going to retest the 2006 lows, using stops and recognizing end of move patterns will keep you from holding thru sell offs

use DOW theory for stop placement when price accelerates

15. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The Sonys that I had-- I believe they were the ones that you mention-- the big swivel cup silver DJ ones were the ones I used. They were stolen, and I now have the HD 180's. I lked them both, but the Sonys, due I think to lower ohm rating, were insanely loud when plugged into my rane mixer. That might be a selling point for you if your headophone amp-fu is weak.

16. I was just about to create a thread about headphones. I'm looking to purchase a set that will be good for ipod, pc, and bass monitoring and costs in the $100-175 range. The names that keep coming up are the Sony 7506 and the Senn HD-180's. I'm still doing more research but it looks like these are my best bets. Any different headphones you guys recommend in the price range I'm looking at for my purposes?

I'm archiving all my Chili Peppers music and today went out and bought all their cd's again because all mine were scratched and didn't rip right. I also have their Stadium Arcadium vinyl (different master) pro ripped and would like to hear it in full glory. I have been using my iphone headphones and my painful shure e2c's but I need something that sounds great with accurate bass.

17. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Full glory= Sick audiophile system in a treated room.

18. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I have the 280s and I'd say they're hands down the best bass response from headphones that I've heard. I've worn them for upwards of 4 hours without them being too uncomfortable, aside from the pressure on my eardrums, since they're closed back headphones. I haven't tried those specific Sony headphones, so I couldn't compare, but I've tried a good handful of headphones from Sony, AKG, AT, Beyer, Yamaha and Senn, and have to say that the Sennheisers get my vote for overall response while the Beyers get my vote for truth to the original mix.

19. I used to be a Sennheiser devotee until I heard the Sonys.
    Recommend'd.

20. Heh, you got me there. For me right now, full glory (compact/portable) = lossless rips with mid-range headphones. For home use, lossless + soundblaster x-fi + logitech z-5500 is good enough. I haven't been busy at work all week and I have gone from knowing very little about audio to knowing a lot. Been reading hydrogen audio forums and audiophile forums and wikipedia all week learning audio encoding, decoding, ripping, tagging, organizing...and now I'm at headphones :p

I'm kind of leaning towards the Sony's right now. I want bass in headphones but not overwhelming where it muddys the mix. I need to go find a place to test some headphones. What kind of places carry these? I'm thinking of going to guitar center later to see if they have these models.