Sennheiser HD 380 Pro studio headphones replacement recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, May 15, 2021.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    My Sennheiser HD 380 Pro studio headphones that I have been extremely satisfied with both as monitor when tracking/recording, for mixing purposes and for my "ampless" bass and guitar rigs when practicing at home, are sadly giving up after many years faithful service, so I am looking for something that can fill their void, of similar high, but still fairly affordable, quality.

Requirements:

- As close as possible to the tonal profile of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, that is an approximation to completely neutral, flat frequency response, recreation of sound sources (to be reliable for mixing purposes)

- Closed design (to work as a reliable monitor source for recording/tracking, to not bleed into the recordings via mics, when for example doing vocals and acoustic instruments)

- Comfortable

- Budget limit: Around 250$, but preferably a bit cheaper.

The Sennheiser HD 300 Pro looks like the obvious candidate, but are there any better in that kind of price range, and how would they differ from the discontinued HD 380 Pro model that I own currently?

What would you recommend?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Why not buy a replacement cable? Probably around $20

byacey likes this.
  3. The 380 pro is easy to change the cable on too; it's on a plug in the side of the ear piece.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022