Serial Number Help....Is this a lacquer 50's P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StudioGC, Mar 17, 2017.

1. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Just purchased this slightly abused 50's P Bass on ebay (UK). The seller states it's a lacquer P bass. When I questioned how he could tell this was lacquer instead of the lower end urethane model....he said he didn't know.

I took a chance on it anyway as even if it's urethane I got it for a nice price.

Question is, is there a way to tell via the serial number more details on the bass other then year and which plant it was made?

Thanks for any help!

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 07.38.03.png Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 07.38.17.png Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 07.38.28.png

2. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Well, the serial number dates the bass as a 2008 model. The nitro-finish version of the MIM Classic '50s P wasn't introduced until several years later.

Currently, new Classic '50s P's with a black finish are all nitro. The poly finishes are Sunburst, Fiesta Red and Honey Blonde (Black is no longer available in poly, AFAIK). The Road Worn versions of this model are, however, all nitro finished as this finish is better suited as a basis for the relic-ing process.

But based on the serial, I'm fairly certain your bass has a polyurethane finish.

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021