Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Set-Up/Repair Shop in NJ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JJD, Dec 13, 2005.

1. JJD

JJD

Dec 13, 2005
    Bergen Co, New Jersey
    I live in northern New Jersey, and I was wondering where I can get my bass re-strung, and set-up?

Thanks for any leads!

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    If you live in NJ theres a good chance you live somewhere close to a train station. If you live anywhere where it is possible to go into NY then you'll double your options.

Bill Merchant and David Gage are easy to find from penn station. For my bass, I'll pay the extra 40 bucks for train and subway tickets to have it done right.

3. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    This is the truth. I've yet to find anyone that can compare to David Gage in NYC, and in my opinion, no one does a better job at setting up a bass than that shop.

However for bow rehairing and maintenance, I highly recommend Ron Forrester in New Jersey. David Gage actually send their bows to an outside source to do work.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well, I haven't had work done at Gage's but Arnold (AES) has done about 4 restorations for me so far (set-ups included) and he's doing #5 for me now (Prescott) with #6 in the wings (Gilkes). I like his work and approach so much that it seems as if I go out and find Basses just so I can have him restore them and bring them back to life. I on the other hand usually do my personal 'tweek' at the Bridge and sometimes Nut until it melts in my hands but that's just my thing.

So, mapquest your favorite route and hit the road. No NYC traffic to deal with at Arnolds. Even though he is an hour further for me than NYC, I prefer the quiet drive to the city traffic.

5. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Ken, I've never heard of this place to be honest. Do they have a website?

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  7. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Good call KSB.

I've never taken a bass to Arnold but I've seen his work (in fellow TBer Tbeer's bass among others) and would highly reccomend him.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually, good as Gage is-- and he is good-- I think Upton's setups meet or exceed Gage's work and for a whole bunch less $$$. Just my 2 cents. Mystic, CT would make a nice place for a weekend getaway for a NJ resident. :)