1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short scale custom

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Grant Bass, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    i was quite excited about this build because the customer knew every aspect he wants done, and that made my life real easy, and she is gonna be a beaut!
    006.jpg
    this is the top he picked, spalted maple
    this is the neck, 3 pc. birdseye center with hard rock outer lams, scarf joint accents of maple and black veneer, with a birdseye headstock block
    006-1.jpg

2. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    some specs on this guy;
    gold hardware-hipshot
    a stlye bridge; ultralite tuners
    31" scale
    string thru
    audere custom pre-amp
    SGD soapbars(cant remember the exact pickups; not infront of me)
    spalted maple top
    curly spanish cedar body
    3 pc. neck w/scarf
    weight is big issue; so we're doing everything we can to make it featherlite;
    im literaly guesing a weight of 3.5lbs w/o hardware based on the weight of the rough cedar 004-1.jpg
    heres a shot of the macassar board

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Nice! That fingerboard is awesome!

4. That's such a wicked body design! Funky yet ergonomic- everything a bass should be.
    Good luck with the build and I hope the customer likes it! (no doubt he will tho)

5. Spas

Spas

Jul 19, 2010
    Finland, Turku
    +1, gotta love those stripes!

6. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    The body shape is beautiful... but it could be a bit annoying for slap when played sitting as your right hand would be right on your leg. Anyway, I LOVE small waist shapes :D

7. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    hey thanks!
    im sure this shape has certain aspects that would make some playing styles difficult, its the complete brain child of the client, who did a great job designing the layout himself to optomize his style.
    i havnt cut out the body yet but i beleieve it will feel like a hofner in most respects to the lower bouts contact with the player

8. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    As I said, I really like it. It's very close in shape to a custom bass I bought back in 2004.

9. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Subbed! Nice wood choices.

10. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    004-2.jpg
    spanish cedar (curly) body blank;
    glued with the angle for 2 reasons; the chevron effect is just a beautiful thing; and i wanted that long horn to have as straight of grain i could running length wise
    005-2.jpg
    of course these are the front shots, whereas the back is what you'll actually see, but you get the point!

11. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    rough cut body
    006-3.jpg
    by the graces of all the gods combined this top has not exploded yet thru the process
    007-4.jpg

12. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Well done! :D

13. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    008-2.jpg
    quick mockup of wood
    009-4.jpg
    it is of the utmost importance to make this bass as light as possible, it will be for the most part contoured in all the normal areas but ontop of that hogging out any solid sections of the body; this circle identifies my one window for any hollowing;due to the wrist area releif; and i can only go 1/2" deep in the area where the belly cut will go, and 3/4" further away

14. This is looking so cool!
    I cant wait to see the finished product! :hyper:

15. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    011-4.jpg
    forstner bits make a quick cavity;2 other holes were made between the bottom 3 on the outer side creating a 'D' shape; but forgot to take another photo before gluing; this combined with the electronics cavity (which will be oversized for even more material removed) should be quite light; the body now is at 3.5 lbs

and a clamp or two to glue the top on; black veneer has been laminated between
    012-2.jpg

16. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    alright; body out of the clamps,cut and given a perimeter sanding; heres a shot with the fingerboard
    001-5.jpg
    3/4
    002-5.jpg

17. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    wetted photos(mineral spirits)
    005-6.jpg
    007-6.jpg
    009-6.jpg

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Niiiiice!

19. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    I'm likin wat i'm seein!!

20. yczi

yczi

Jul 1, 2010
    Boston
    CEO: Madhat®
    i LOVE the shape of that body! :eek:

tell me youre keeping it with that nature finish and not throwing any dark stains/transparent hues over it??