1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    2k for a shorty....that'll count me out sadly. Too many other things on the hit list

mjmeche and GregC like this.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm going to grab one because they might be rare

HD007 likes this.
  3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    What colors? Sure would love a honeyburst/roasted maple...

4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I like them. Always wanted a shorty ray. But for $2000 they could’ve at least roasted the neck or had nicer color options.

Akami likes this.
  5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    01D20B4E-1669-45B3-AF82-387CEBB60B75.
    B6AE4B81-F19A-42F8-92D2-BCCC4FF773E0.
    7FA5BC3B-D97C-43F3-B568-6380B97407BA.
    5E33DF89-29DE-4D97-95C5-9FC2D75258B1.

6. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Try a Berger, you'll love it!

7. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    At that price point I would be going for a Birdsong Corto

8. don't need. absolutely want.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I had a ‘Ray a long time ago that was that blue color with a rosewood board. Now that I see it with maple, I like it even more. That’s the one.

HD007 likes this.
  10. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Warwick Streamer CV is fully passive but has both Bass and Treble knobs. I don't know how they work but I agree that on paper there's no such thing as a passive boost.

11. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Why should being a shorty effect the price? Do you expect to pay by the inch?

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    At that price point you can also have a Cliff Bordwell made for you. But if you don't like wood-centric basses the Stingray is a good option.

13. 521EACB4-1EDB-4389-9C0E-2A3E282DD8B0. 93195579-6C4E-4C5C-A7C5-1F3A4771EAB4. Seems it’s been covered from all angles but here is A few I got.

HD007 likes this.
  14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    check it out. Music Man is now making a 30 inch scale Ray.

If only it were a 5er. GLWTS Music Man.

outoftune likes this.
  15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I love the idea but will wait for the Sterling version for about $200.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  16. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Hmm. I like both colors. Not as much as Honeyburst, but that's a personal thing. Maybe the burgundy, but the blue and maple is classic nice too.

HD007 likes this.
  17. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I'm simply saying I wouldnt spend that much for a shorty.

matante and alack like this.
  18. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I wonder if that's part of why short scales are less popular: people sometimes give up build quality for cheap and then the pile of cheap gadgets wind up giving the the whole population a reputation.

But usually the advice is usually not to cheap out because you'll wind up upgrading later. I think it's cheaper to buy something great that you'll love, own for longer and get more mileage out of.

Heavy Blue, HD007 and matante like this.
  19. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I agree 100% my biggest regrets on my early years I buying a bunch of MIM and import doodoo. I've picked up a few Shorty's before and I'm not the biggest fan. But I'm a massive EBMM fan. If I'm going to shell out 2k I'd rather pick up a Cutlass, a slo special or a classic sterling/ray. Also gassing for a new American jazz. And a new 410 rig. If I HAD to have a short, please believe I'd be all over one of these for 2k

HD007 and philthygeezer like this.
  20. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think short scales are less popular because people expect a bass to be certain size and they equate size with quality. It's also easy to convince people that because 99% of albums over the years used a long scale bass, it must be more professional to play a long scale. Most people don't use their ears and don't trust their own ability to make a decision as to what's right for them. Also, as you said, most short scales over the years have been hampered by their makers with funny looking pickups, inferior bridges, or corners cut somehow.

Thinking about this new EMBB shortscale, there is really no reason for them to use different electronics other than to take away the ability of people to do a direct A/B comparison with the longscale version. It looks like they're using the full scale body here too. It would be a direct apples to apples comparison and I suspect EBMM doesn't want that.

CapnSev likes this.