Should I Lend out my Rig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I`ve read all the horror stories, but I figured I`d just ask to see if I`m over thinking this or not.

Basically, my guitarist just called and was telling me all about some band he knows back from Memphis who`s playing a gig up here in Knoxville tomorrow for a frat party around 3pm (early party). Apparently, neither their drummer or bassist could fit their gear in their cars so they asked my guitarist if our drummer and I minded if they used our gear.

Our drummer has already dealt with theirs before and says he`s a good guy and that he has no problem lending out his set to him, but I`ve honestly never met their bassist (or any of those guys) before so I`m pretty hesitant to say yes. Supposedly these guys are professionals (according to my drummer and guitarist) and have played with bands like North Mississippi All Stars, but I`m hesitant to agree when this band comes up to a gig without all the gear needed to pull off a show :eyebrow:

My guitarist says their bassist will have a sit down with me tonight to discuss this situation if I want to, but I almost feel like just giving them the number to the local music rental shop. I just don`t find it fair or cool for someone who I don`t know to expect me to do them a favor in the name of music - especially without even offering compensation upfront (albeit, all communication so far has been through my guitarist).

I dunno :(

Do you think it`s worth taking the risk of lending out nearly $3,000 worth of gear just to keep face with my band?

:help::help::help:

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I go with no. He may be a trustworthy guy, but you never know what accident could happen. Or, how they may treat your gear. Music is great, but do you want to take chances with a stranger handling your rig? I wouldn't.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    NO.

Absolutely not.

The only way I let anyone use my gear is if I *know* them - and I mean *know* that they will replace it if the screw it up - someone I trust.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    #1 NO
    #2 NO NO NO for a frat party.

5. Hayseed

Hayseed

Feb 18, 2010
    Oregon
    A "frat party".... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy could be Mr. Rogers for all I care. The gig is the determining factor on this one.

6. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    NO. If you knew the guy maybe. But I'd still go with no. THe dude should travel with gear or rent. If he is flying it would be another story, but that's an issue for his band to figure out. And the mention of frat party just makes it a no brainer.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Absolutely not. Have you ever been to a frat party? Your gear will definitely get beer spilled on it.

Besides that, if these guys really are pros they'd have figured out a way to get their gear there on their own. The only time I've ever used someone else's gear is when the gear is backlined for everyone, or if I'm asked to by the headliner to make changeover faster. I've NEVER asked to borrow someone else's gear in 20 years of playing.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    What's in it for you?

That answer needs to be extremely compelling given the frat party aspect. Ask for three grand and two hot coeds up front. Keep the coeds and don't sweat it if you never see the gear again.

9. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    What everyone else said.

no.
    No.
    NO!

I have lent basses out to close friends on a few occasions, and one of them even bought me a case of Boulevard in return because he kept it longer than expected (it was my backup bass at the time). But the one time my amp/cab setup was lent out to some friend, it never sounded quite the same way. Plus it was lent out without my consent by my idiot band at the time.

Don't do it, especially with that much invested into it! If they can't get their gear to their shows they shouldn't be playing.

10. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Let your band rent him a rig if it is a matter of keeping face.

11. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I like your thinking.

12. +1 "Ask for three grand and two hot coeds up front. Keep the coeds and don't sweat it if you never see the gear again."

13. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    no

14. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    When people ask me stuff like that I just say "I'm annoyed that you actually even asked me." Also why should their transportation problem become yours? Why can't they just rent a van if their collective gear is too big for their cars? Why is this now your problem? Guess what -- it's not. Don't even talk to them.

And what's this about a frat party? Do you really want beer poured all over your stuff?

15. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No. You don't know him and even if he is fine it's the frat boys I worry about. I lent out a PA system once. One monitor was lost and the lead singer threw a PA speaker across the stage.

16. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    I have no problem loading out my backup rig - I have a MIM J bass that I've loaned to friends. I pickup up a Peavey Fury for $100 for that same purpose. That and a smallish Hartke combo on which the direct out works just fine...

If someone is too proud to play those, they can just bring their own gear...

17. Been there, paid the cost to repair the head myself.. Won't do it again.

18. No, I don't.

I'm terribly clutchy and protective of my gear. I guess I'd rather be labelled a jerk than have to deal with someone breaking my stuff. Let's face it, that is a very real possibility. No one knows your gear as well and is going to give it the same TLC as you do.

I caught my singer parking her arse on my cab one night. As soon as I got home from the gig, I made signs that say "NO SIT ZONE" and taped them to the tops of all my cabs. Yes, I know cabs are made very sturdy, but over time, heavy loads will loosen the joints. Next thing you know there's a mystery rattle that you have to pay someone to locate and fix. All because you were too shy to say something and protect your gear when you had the chance.

My guitarist wanted to have his old bass player stand in for a few songs last gig. I said sure no problem, just have him bring his own bass and let me monitor the levels on the amp with strict instructions to the other bass player not to touch my rig.

It's your gear, and your call. Just sayin'...

19. insanitycalls

insanitycalls

Jan 24, 2010
    +1 "Ask for three grand and two hot coeds up front. Keep the coeds and don't sweat it if you never see the gear again."

20. No. Don't do it. Guys in the band will just have to understand.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021