Simple question are we moving back to combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jun 9, 2021.

1. sokolasty

sokolasty

Dec 11, 2006
    Poland
    After years of not playing I came back (covid, of course)
    If I start to band reaherse again, I will get Rumble stage 800 210 combo sized as 210 cab and one, perhaps two 210 matching cabs
    I have a 110 combo for home use and it's more than enough. Actually for home use a decent 1x6 is enough, but no company makes good sounding 1W 6" combos.
    Decent sound starts at 30W 1x10.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have done small rehearsals and gigs with my Fender Rumble 100, a 1x12 combo. That amp was not on my radar until I used one at a friend's garage jam. I have heard good things about the bigger/larger Rumble combos, so that might be my choice (along with extension cab - I sometimes play really loud gigs :() if I switched to combos full time.

That said: I appreciate the simplicity of combo amps, but right now I love my class D heads and various cabinets (mostly lightweight neo) that provide excellent modularity, so IMO simplicity alone is no reason to flip all that gear. I bring two class D heads to every gig, mostly for peace of mind (even though it's been decades since an amp failed on me). Another aspect is that one of my heads has onboard distortion, and I use that when I don't have time or stage space to set up distortion pedals. Yes, I could replicate all this modularity and versatility with the right combo(s)... but it would require a lot of research, and then a lot of gear flipping (I don't have the budget or storage space to keep all I own plus more).

But I'm definitely not trying to talk YOU out of it. Best of luck... and don't overlook Fender! :)

RColie likes this.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If Mesa came out with a new Walkabout Scout, I would move back to combos immediately.

It wouldn't need to be a WD-800 head, a D-800 would be fine. The appeal of the combo over just a head and 112 or 115 cab would be convenience. I have a Genzler 350 112 vertical combo that does well, but isn't quite "Subway good". It's downfall is that the you can't keep the speakon cable connected to the cab, so I roll up the speakon with the power cable and I can't leave the power cable connected with the cover on. I did forget the cables once, but fortunately it was a close to home gig.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I thought they did, this time with a micro amp.

5. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    I tried going back to a combo. Fender Rumble 100, 40, GK MB-200 - They all sounded too colored to me. Boxy. I got tired of them.

So I went back to a separate small head plus a Trace 2x8 cab. Even for home practice, I appreciate the features of the amp and sound of the better cab.

I could be happy with a combo provided it sounded as good as separates.

6. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    Others may be. I will not. I’ve been using (2) Orange OBC 112’s at 26 lbs each for years. I almost always use both. My current live head is an Ashdown ABM 600 which is not available in a combo.

7. DJS

DJS Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I've tried it, but like the flexibility of different cabinets and heads. My Ampeg SVT3 really has a sound I can't get with much else. Also, people compliment my Fender Neo 4x10 after shows. It adds a nice look to the stage even if it's not more than a monitor at most shows.

8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    not that I’ve seen. Someone put a WD-800 into an old Scout cab, so that’s a possibility but I would also need to swap out connectors.

DrMole and JimmyM like this.
  9. Markyo

Markyo

Jul 24, 2018
    I have always ended up using combos without really thinking through why. At the moment in a rehearsal studio, I use my Fender stage 800 combo switched to 4 ohms to match the line out to the resident old peavy 8x10 cab. At small gigs I use my stage 800 or rumble 500. For a bit more oomph I connect the rumble 2x10 extention cab or use the rumble 500 as an extention. That way still leaves me a combo if one stops working. I just don't think separates would suit me better.

Johnny Fingers likes this.
  10. i'm definitely more open to using one than i would have been years ago. don't really need one since i have cabs and heads that i dig

11. Combos are versatile stage monitors, practice amps and for performing in a combo.
    (a small jazz, rock, or pop band)
    Good to have as many options as possible though.

DrMole likes this.
  12. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    With enough Velcro and/or tape, anything is a combo.

13. wheelsup247

wheelsup247 Wherever You Go, There You Are. Wear it low. Gold Supporting Member

God I hope so. A small bass amp (combo or not) on stage is so much better than those god-awful “IEM only” scenarios- at least for bass.

DJ Bebop and DrMole like this.
  14. bassandboy

bassandboy

Aug 24, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    Take my money!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I am.

The last show I was privileged enough to play was an IEM only situation. We were the last act up and they had me only going through the subs for some reason. Subs thermal protection kicked in on song 2. Ok, I’ll just play along and pretend I can be heard. Song 5 my IEM system has a critical failure, so now I am basically just trying to finish the gig.

If I would have had my Markbass AC combo I could have still been a part of the show. I’ll never be without it again, not even by accident. If the gig goes perfectly and I don’t need it for sound it will still make a great stool. A 38# insurance policy.

DrMole and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I would go to a combo pretty quickly if I could convince the other guys in my band to do the same.

17. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have 3 amps and 3 cabs... that makes for many combos:thumbsup:

DrMole and MegaSwing like this.
  18. Thanks again people for your continuing answers to the question.
    I respect everyone's opinion on this subject. :)

19. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Are we moving to pedalboard DI's, running direct and a small amp (combo) for our monitoring if IEMs not used and for the big stage, whatever is supplied for the back line? Point being that instead of needing a big rig, most of us just need a smaller combo to cover the acoustic trios up through the 100-150 seat bars.

DrMole and MegaSwing like this.
  20. BSatt

BSatt

Jun 22, 2019
    Southern California
    I did.

From Eden WT-405 + Eden D112-XLT
    IMG_0232.jpg

To Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
    IMG_1906.jpg

However, as RichSnyder said..."If Mesa came out with a new Walkabout Scout, I would move back to combos immediately."

I would be very interested in a lighter Walkabout Scout. At 51 pounds, its a tad cumbersome.

RichSnyder likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021