Simple question are we moving back to combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics

Simple answer: no, I can't move back to something I've never owned. :cool:

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've owned and gigged several combo amps, including an old Vox with its chrome cart back in the sixties, an Acoustic 136, and a Polytone Minibrute. All were heavy.

I believe that Bergantino has been ahead of the curve creating powered cabs with integral DSP to optimize the performance of each cabinet. I like the idea of using cabs that are optimized to operate at their best with an internal amp, but I don't own any. I also like the idea of selecting a pre-amp that best suits my tastes to use with such a cab; I do own a few of those!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Still own my MESA SCOUT 4 ohm 12” combo.
    It’s such a great amp but has it’s limitations.
    I always thought MESA would have a Class D type combo in their line but as of today that has not happened. The new AMPEG combos look interesting.

donhank likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I have both, combo for studio and components
    for gigs. Also considering a power amp mounted
    internally in the cab then use a pedal for pre-amp
    Most of my gigs do not require any big rigs.

5. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

6. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, I haven't gigged anywhere in the last 20 years where the Hartke Kickback combo wouldn't have worked. It covers the stage well with and has a line out for FOH support.

If I had a rehearsal spot, I'd buy a 70's Peavey or Acoustic combo, set up an online camera, and enjoy some live action karma if anyone tried to make off with it.

Jjacks651 likes this.
  7. about41hz

about41hz

Jul 11, 2020
    Warsaw, Poland
    Few years ago I moved back from heads (Eden, EA) + cabs (Eden, Epifani, EA) to my old combo - 1988 GK 200MB. It’s really loud for it’s size, when needed I pair it with EA Wizzy12M and then it’s louder than it should be.
    But… Maybe I’m in privileged position, because 90% of places where I play or rehearse already have an amp+cab and PA. If not, than the place is usually so small that combo is enough. And because of that I’m considering replacing my old GK not with amp+cab, but with another, even louder combo - made by GR Bass.
    Different needs, different solutions.

8. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Indeed! I have the Shuttle 6.2 speakers, with a 9.2 in the saddle. I have to be careful with volume when only using one cabinet, but the improvement in authority and ease, that came with going the larger amp, was not trivial. I get a huge amount of mileage out of this rig, mostly on situations in which the one cabinet will do. But because I am insane, and in love with Audiokinesis cabinets, I also have a 4-ohm original Thunderchild 115, and keep a Hathor 1533 in my other space...and use Mesa, Trickfish, or a beastly old GBE600 amp with each. However, if Mesa were to make a Subway combo, with the 800WT in place, I'd probably sell the modular stuff...and have also been thinking about the GK Legacy series as an alternative.

Yo, Mesa (and Aged Horse) - given the Walkabout legacy, doesn't an 800WT combo make a LOT of sense? Pair it with the 1-12 cabinet, let buyers decide whether to add a 1-12 or 1-15 second cabinet, and prepare to enjoy the fruits of continuing a chain that reaches back across the Walkabout, to the great Roland and Acoustic combos of 80's and 70's, and back to the revered Ampeg B-15...

agedhorse and Max Bogosity like this.
  9. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I prefer a head and a 2x10, having the head separate opens up the option for a cab share if there's multiple bands playing and I could potentially get away with just needing the 5lb head.

agedhorse likes this.
  10. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I recently picked up in trade an old Genz Benz Intro 50 1x12 combo, and it's proven to be plenty for the gigs I've been doing. In fact, have a gig this Saturday, outside, probably will be close to a thousand people there, and the GB will be the amp for that. Of course, the PA will be pretty large, with monitors, too. I think I'm done carrying anything bigger!

agedhorse likes this.
  11. I've had both in the past.

However, my next piece of amplification, following a break from playing, will be a combo.

Probably another Rumble 500. Had one before with a 1x15 cab. TBH, the cab never saw much action....a properly cranked-up combo did the job.

When I did add the cab, volume was only on about a quarter, so not really needed.

Rumble puts out 350w.....any more than that, and I want to be DI'd out!

12. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    nope, depending on the venue, I'll be using my 7lb Genz-Benz head with my 135lb 410.

13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I thought we were going IEM.

WillyWonka and DrThumpenstein like this.
  14. I play a combo but I think the days of combos or head/cabs are limited.

15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    no

16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    depends on the gig.
    if my little 1x12 Roland combo can handle it, then great!
    if not, I bring something else with more firepower.
    good example is this weekend I have an outdoor gig, but the PA will be plenty enough, so combo amp for stage monitoring and DI to the FOH FTW !

17. Modder

Modder

Jan 2, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    I use a Markbass CMD121 with 12” extension, works well against 2 guitars and a drummer

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    No - I'm moving away from amps altogether - the one gig I do regularly where I need an amp is probably going to go away in 6 months (long story) leaving me without a need for an amp at ANY gigs. I have plenty of gigs, but most at this point (and probably all soon) are ampless.

19. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I gigged with combo amps with ext speakers for years and now Agui TH350 and 1x12" works great for me.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've gone back and forth several times over the years. Big Combo, then 1st Gen Lightweight separates,then Big Separates, and then I gigged an old-school not-lightweight combo (B100R Rocketbass) for a few years until just recently.

Unless a windfall allows me to afford a Milkman Half and Half 700 (which is still fairly lightweight), the next time I buy an amp it will be separate lightweight head and cab.
    -Lightweight heads are so cheap that it makes no sense to me to buy a combo where you have to replace the whole thing if something breaks
    -There's also the flexibility of being able to use that head to power either my 410 Neo cab, 2x10 neo cab or some as-yet-to-be purchased mini cab
    -Mini heads are so small that they can fit in my gear bag or gig bag so there's not really much convenience gained by going with a combo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021