1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

167 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

160 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

84 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

120 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

238 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I've only had one gig so far, and this bass did not disappoint. I also have a P7 5 that has been my #1 gigging bass the past couple years. 20190817_173455.

TB24, bholder, gscroggin and 2 others like this.
  2. I’m gigging this weekend and will probably bring the V10 for a first realistic run. I’ll bring some of my trusty old Fenders as well for safety and for comparison. Will be interesting.

mexicant and jlepre like this.
  3. I usually bring a fender as a backup!

Attached Files:

mickebas likes this.
  4. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    As i stated in another post.
    Hipshot HB14, they don’t fit, you have to drill new holes next to the ‘old’ ones.

But, a big improvement!

4BAAD011-CE11-42E1-A775-1738A7AAA1D5. BC0FF0FE-4D4B-4D1B-8DAF-052F2F3C7852.

Livewire, jbassjosh, bholder and 2 others like this.
  5. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    That is really nice
    I love the look of black tuners

Well done!

roogbass likes this.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Just picked up my first Sire, a Gen 1 V7 5-string, gloss natural ash, maple board bound & blocked with white pearl blocks and white pearl board. Previous owner changed the tuners to Hipshots, which I understand is a Good Thing! I'm a big EQ guy (been adding John East mid-shifts to my fretless basses), and what lit me up about these things was the preamp. I definitely love it! Will post pics soon but youse know what this looks like!

7. Snibborwocky

Snibborwocky

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    That's interesting because I ordered the same tuners but in chrome and they lined up just fine. However, two things to note: 1. I put them on my V7 1st Generation 4-string, and 2. the screws that the HB14 tuners come with ARE a tad bigger (wider) than the stock Sire screws. I just ended up using the stock Sire screws with the HB14's and it turned out solid and stable. Sounds like there is a big difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2 tuners that Hipshot was not aware of.

mexicant, roogbass and generalduncan like this.
  8. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    5FCEA852-9186-4F66-AFE3-157523AA6EE2.
    I sent an e-mail with pics to Hipshot.

Snibborwocky likes this.
  9. Got a local deal on a 1st Gen p7 5 string,already had a nice pearloid pickguard on it. Fairly light with a nice straight neck. 20190824_165057.

TB24, bholder, Livewire and 11 others like this.
  10. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OK, so here's mine. V7 gen 1. Nice pearloid guard, and chrome knobs. Done a couple of rehearsals and I'm sold! Can make pretty much any sound I have ever gotten out of a fretted bass. One thing: Swamp ash this ain't -- this girl is *heavy*. Her name is Marcus!

ash Sire.

TB24, bholder, MuttThud and 5 others like this.
  11. Ok, here’s my first live gig impressions/report of the V10.

First of all it performed great. Light and resonant but still with a deep sound.
    I have a small problem (not a dealbreaker) with the part where my right arm rests on the body. It’s too sharp and almost like a slab body bass. This problem is less significant depending on what right hand technique I’m using but I would have preferred a smoother body shape as on the V7s or a regular J-bass.

Other than that the E-strings output compared to the other strings is kind of overwhelming. This is the common J-bass problem and believe me, I know all the tricks in the book as far as trying to come to terms with this issue after 40+ years playing J-style basses and the only thing that works is pickups with different levels on the pole pieces.
    So this is not really a complaint it’s just a thing I kind of knew in advance and have learnt to live with.

The neck is fantastic and I’m thinking of letting a good luthier smooth-out the body contour and also I’ll might eventually do something about the pickups (string to string balance).

All this aside, it’s a great bass and it’s price-level is more than justified.

Looking forward to playing it more and having it as a part of my arsenal.
    It’s a keeper for sure. :):bassist:

bholder and mexicant like this.
  12. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You could try the EliSlope(tm). I do this with *all* my basses for exactly the reason you describe. 1235 pickup 002.

Here's a piece of history: When electric basses were first invented, amplifiers were woefully inadequate in low-frequency reproduction. So E strings were purposefully made floppier (lower tension) than the others, so the larger amplitude vibration would boost the low end output to make up for the shortcomings of the amps. Even now that amplifier technology has caught up, string makers have decided that bassists are used to the string tension differences and stick with the traditional tension profiles. One or two string makers have introduced "balanced tension" sets, but only in a couple of styles so not that many bassists are using them.

You might try one of those sets to see if it reduces the problem.

bholder and mickebas like this.
  13. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    What's the average price shipped for a 2017 Sire V7 Five String now a days? Seen a couple on Reverb for $500 + $75 shipping and one for $520 with free shipping. Both come w the gig bag.

14. I bought a 2017 p7 5 string for 525 last week with extra pickguard and case. Local pick up

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I shipped my Vintage V7 5 a couple weeks ago. With insurance it cost me $40 to ship from NJ to IN USPS.

HarveyRobertson likes this.
  16. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    184C465E-C195-4103-B308-39587174C77E. Just got my new 2nd gen V7 and have to say it looks, feels and sounds pretty darn good right out of the box! No Neck dive, not too heavy; I’m liking it!

bholder, TB24, Snibborwocky and 6 others like this.
  17. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    Just got a 1st gen P7-5 and all seems well, except for the stacked knobs are too tight and one turns the other. I have tried to work them in a little but they still both turn. Is there something I can do to loosen them?

bholder likes this.
  18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    The knobs are a weak point on Sire 1st and 2nd gen basses, expect the V10. You will need to replace them with after market.

Brainy0 likes this.
  19. I really agree with this review so far. The only complaint I have is the sharper edge on the body that hurts my right arm, but I will have that taken care of next week
    Sire V10 – Second Generation Review

jbassjosh likes this.
  20. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi Papuzzo,

The tops and bottoms of the knobs are touching. If you can raise the top, or lower the bottom slightly that should correct it.

Bob