1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

16 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

31 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Natural/ Ash

167 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

160 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. White/ Ash

84 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

118 vote(s)
    11.6%
  8. Black/ Alder

102 vote(s)
    10.1%
  9. M3

27 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

82 vote(s)
    8.1%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

238 vote(s)
    23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I tried that and it didn't fix the issue.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, jlepre, all I can say is it did for me. Using the recommendation to use fabric with a slit in it to raise the knobs worked really well in my case. I've got newer Gen 1 J7 and P7 basses.

Bob

jlepre likes this.
  3. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    OK, I gave them some good separation and it cured the mid freq knob, but the volume/tone still moves a little, but its acceptable now. Thanks a lot!

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Has anyone upgraded the pickups in their M basses?

5. There’s a screw on the lower part of the knob. Try loosening that, and then try moving the bottom knob down instead of trying to raise the top knob. Just be careful you don’t over tighten the set screw when you tighten it up again or you can crack the knob.

Papuzzo and generalduncan like this.
  6. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    20190828_002125. 20190828_001314. 20190828_013044. Delivered from Sire Direct... Very Impressed with the rolled fretboard and quality. Get these basses before Guitar Center starts stocking them and jacking the prices up!!!

bholder, SunByrne and mexicant like this.
  7. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Just received a brand new first gen fretless V7 today. There's a noticeable hum as soon as i turn the pickup blending pot to either side. In the middle position it's totally quiet. This happens in both passive and active mode. Is this expected and can it be easily fixed? I haven't noticed anything like this on my first gen P7.

8. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Just ordered a black M2 direct from Sire, hope it looks as good as that one!

Downlowsince81 likes this.
  9. P7 has precision style pickups which cancel each other's hum. The single J on P7 does not hum when on its own. V7's pair of jazz pickups are in original jazz bass configuration. I think their opposite polarities cause the hum, or something like that.

onestone likes this.
  10. Yes, this is how jazz basses work

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Lift just the top knob only just a smidgen - the press they use at the factory jams them on too hard, causing friction with the lower knob. Even just a sixteenth of an inch or less will do. Replacing the knobs can do it too of course, but be careful not to wreck the pots doing it, or you'll need to replace the preamp.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Can't be helped with non-humbucking single coils - the pair, when evenly balanced, make one humbucker, so there's no hum at the center detente, but change the balance and they all hum. Virtually all J basses have this issue. The optimal solution is replacement hum-cancelling pickups, which exist, but aren't so cheap.

13. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    My V7 is fairly quiet, yes it has a slight him but I really have to turn up the amp to hear it. Be sure to use good cables, not those bargain unbranded jacketed cables that GC pushes at the register. I use Monster©, Mogami© and Planetwave© brands..

Plus you can usually play with the treble tone knob on and get it to an acceptable level, if you need more highs, then use your amp to adjust.

Single coil basses.. are prone to hums just like a strat or a P90 guitar would be.

These are things I do.
    Good luck...

onestone likes this.
  14. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    My 1st Generation Sire had a tuner that was loose, & besides a quick tightening, was set up nicely. The Generation 2 Sire I posted on, had a superior set up, & it looks like they used a thicker matte finish! The awesome rolled neck and fretwork has to be played to understand how good it is. A very fast neck indeed. Enjoy, & make sure to post a quick review and images after it arrives to play!

15. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    UPS says it should be here Thursday, so hopefully I'll get pics and impressions up over the weekend.

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I have to say that my new V10 doesn't have that issue at all. Totally quiet.

bholder likes this.
  17. Its more to do with cables, outlets, other lighting than anything else.

18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I gig many different places. Plus I've owned a few V7 and a VV7. This V10 is dead quiet.

Machiavelli likes this.
  19. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    OK, now I have a more serious problem!

Today I was practicing with my new P7-5 in passive mode and there was a sudden volume drop. It seemed like just the P pickup lost some, maybe half power. Next time it happens I will dive in deeper to see if the J pickup loses oomph at the same time. Disconnecting and reinserting the cord brought it back to normal. Any ideas?

20. I wonder if anyone here can help me with my dilemma (from my own thread):

I'm looking at getting myself a Sire V7 5-string next month for my 30th :hyper:

They do the V7 model and the V7 vintage. As far as I can tell, there are two primary differences - a high mass bridge as opposed to what I consider to be a fender bridge, and the bridge pickup being closer to the bridge on the vintage model.

I think I want the best of both worlds - high mass bridge with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. As far as the pickup goes, what sort of difference can I expect by having it in that position? I've always had a P bass, so no bridge pickup and when I tried the bass over the weekend, the shop had none of the vintage models, so it's hard for me to know what to think.

What I do know is that I like a high mass bridge. I have one on my P bass and I wouldn't change it.

I was just browsing this thread and there's a couple of picture of a Geddy Lee signature bass, that has exactly that configuration. In changing to a jazz bass I'm trying to get a bit more of that Geddy tone, so that makes me think even more that I want the combo above! But I can't afford the Geddy Lee signature bass.

I suppose that at the worst I could get the V7 vintage, and change the bridge...