Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarztekMilita, Feb 24, 2005.

1. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    catchy title aint it!
    if anyone hasnt heard any ska they need to despertly!
    there is a really "BIG" ska tour coming to around my town with streetlight manifesto voodoo glow skulls and some others. ska is one of the funnist things ive ever listend to in my life (is 17 long?). its also extremly fun/hard to play, but its just so fun. i even broke my foot skanking. dont noe if i should be proud of that last bit, of well. just posting this for anyone to show your checkered colors and what have you.
  2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I loved it for about a month, and then got tired of the vocals and the same guitar riffs over and over.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's only as hard to play as you make it. It's definately not hard to make a mediocre power pop-punk band with horns and pass it off as ska. I saw both legs of the Ska is Dead tour. The venue I saw them in was kind of ****** but I still had a pretty good time.

On the 2nd leg, I was only going to see MU330, who are great. Unfortunately I got sandwiched between two fat guys and spent most of their set trying to fight for breathing room, so I couldn't enjoy them as much as I would have liked. Still, they put on an incredible show.

Voodoo Glow Skulls weren't all that interesting. I was impressed with Streetlight Manifesto, I was never a fan of Catch-22, and their CD wasn't that great. Despite this, their live show was actually pretty good, they're all very talented musicians and seemed to be having a lot of fun, depsite obviously being on the road for 3 weeks.

If you ever get the chance, go see the Slackers. Hands down one of the best live band's I've ever seen.
  4. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    I saw the tour last year with Catch 22 and the Planet Smashers but they aren't coming to Canada this year. :( They were amazing. I love Catch 22! I guess they aren't big in Canada. They played at a small bar here and there was plenty of room for skanking.

The Frostbite Tour is on now! I'm going to see Guttermouth and Planet Smashers (again) in 8 days! :hyper:
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw the title and wondered when ska was alive?
  6. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    well it never was that alive but its kinda big at my school cuz theres this ska band called skanonymus. there alright but the lead singer is kind of sucky. they go to my schooll PVHS. but theres a better band there called SOCIETYS EDGE and there f**king awsome! but if you want to see either of them just go to imusicast. they usally play there. that place is in oakland on telegraph and is pretty decent. but ska is just fun, comin from a fat metal head who loves the misfits!
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ska, I dig, in small doses. I dig Fishbone because they manage to ska it up, but it's not a non stop barrage of "Horray We are Happy!" and "Pick it up." I will pick a lot of things up, one of which is most certainly not "it."
  8. I'm not a huge ska fan either, but I did see Mighty Mighty Bosstones about three years ago in Milwaukee and thought they were really great. I was surprised by how much the lead singer swore, not that I minded though.
  9. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I am a self admitted Reel Big Fish fan myself. Their ability to bring "it" live is a great time. I always dug how some of the less pop-punk ska bass players could make 1/8 notes interesting... sometimes...

Yea, I'm a skank.
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny." - Frank Zappa
  11. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    suburan legends. live show. f**king crazy.
  12. Streetlight Manifesto is nuts though.

The rest are probably just boring. Oh, Zox too, Zox rules.
  13. Its a shame the Bosstones called it quits last year. I saw them live down in PA and it was an amazing show.
  14. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hm.. I love ska.. I really want to see the Mad Caddies in concert. I heard that they put out AMAZING concerts.
  15. I like some of the ska stuff that's around. Listen to a lot of Less Than Jake (who are my faves), Reel Big Fish, Dropkick Murphy's (They're technically ska, bagpipes count as horns), and some of the ska-ish stuff that NOFX does when El Hefe plays trumpet.

Love swing music, love punk, and when you put the two tegether, can't go wrong.
  16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think you need to look up what ska really is.
  17. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I used to be a big Bosstones and RBF fan. I still listen to them nwo and then, but not as big into them as I was years ago. Good stuff on the whole.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  19. That website actually proves what I said.

"Although structurally simple, ska has a bevy of influences, synthesizing American R&B, jump blues, Jamaican mento, calypso and other Caribbean styles, big-band
    swing, Afro-Cuban jazz, pocomania and other local religious folk music, and European ballroom dances."

"A more rock-oriented take on ska became popular in the U.S. during the '90s, although it was much farther removed from the music's Jamaican origins than the
    British version had been."

Most people who you ask, they would describe the type of punk that is popular mostly in the US right now as a cross between Punk and Ska. If you say that Ska has nothing to do with Punk rock, then why are ska bands (such as the Bosstones, LTJ, etc..) on the Warped Tour?