Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small/practice amp with nice sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bos_mindwarp, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I wonder what amps out there are suitable to bedroom practice that have nice sound. I have a behringer thunderbird which is ok, but sounds like cardboard.

Preferable with headphone out and decent controls.

So if you know of something above the average 30W Peavey, post here plz :D

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Old School:
    SWR Baby Blue 2x8 combo. You see them on ebay sometimes still. They still make a baby blue combo, but it's 1x10 now...

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have an Ampeg BA112 which I really like.

4. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    Fender Rumble 100
    SWR LA15

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are headphones an option?

I like the headphone amp I got. The Pocket Rocket is nice. The Cafe Walter HP-1 rules them all, to me at least.

-Mike

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like a Vox T-60 is up your alley. 60W through a 12" driver, vintage vibe, great tone, Bassilator circuit to really make things rumble, headphone out and can be used with an external 4ohm speaker.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ampeg B-50R Rocket Bass Combo--12" combo, 50w, very simple, discontinued, won BP's Combo Shootout.

SWR Workingman's 12. 12", more wattage, look for the older ones, but most are good.

Raven Labs PHA-1. Headphone amp/preamp. Amazing sound, must find used.

Peavey Microbass. Cheap, 8" speaker, 20 watts. Surprisingly nice tone...great for bedroom.

Fender Bassman 25. Lots of features, good sound, pretty cheap.

Ampeg B-100. 15" combo..a little heavier, but small-gigable.

I'd think any of these would serve you well.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My Phil Jones Briefcase makes for a fantastic practice amp, but at $600, it's on the pricey side to be sure (though fairly priced for what it is, IMHO).

On the more affordable end, I have an old Fender RAD Bass, and from a tonal prespective, it keeps up with some of my much more expensive rigs. It just doesn't get very loud. I believe that the Fender Bassman 25 (or something like that) is functionally the same as the RAD Bass.

Tom.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    yorkville 50w 10" combo

10. Hartke B30 - paper coned, 30 watts into 10 inch speaker. nice tone.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I've played through to vox that tplyons is talking about, and I own and b60. Both are great, but Id say that the hartke b60 sounds better, imo.

12. +1 for the Fender Rumble series - very good value for money IMO

13. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    i will vote for my Phil Jones Bass buddy, which you can use with or with out speaker..

14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've had both the 2x8" and the newer 1x10" SWR Baby Baby Blue and I prefer the 10" version. Incredible tone! Much more portable. It sounds like a small Demeter rig.

15. I checked Cafe Walker site and some of the reviews, it looks nice except for the fact that it eats batteries (2x9V) which I don't like. I don't plan on practicing on airplane or anything.

Otherwise some great suggestions in here, time to hit the stores I'd say :D

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It is a really superb little unit. Overpriced, yes, and unfortunately overshadowed by the BA-115 which is only $100 more MSRP and a whole lot more amp. It may a heretical thing to say, but I actually prefer the BA-112's sound to that of my B-100R. Workmanship and QC are a lot better now that Ampeg has its Yellville facility separate from the SLM/Crate factory.

Here's what I had to say about the BA-112 on another forum (includes picture).

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I just picked up a GK backline 112 (1x12 100 watts at 8ohms) combo amp.I was really surprised this little amp has a lot of bang for the buck. Nice deep punchy sound small size about 50lbs. The amp will also tilt back like a monitor.

18. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    You spoke of a bedroom sized practice amp, so I expecdt you do not need a whole lot of power---got to keep the peace, right?

Find yourself a Fender BXR 25. It'll be the end of your problems, sound absolutely wonderful, not cost a fortune. They sound more than decent for 5'ers and 6'ers, too...

RC a/k/a "notrt"

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's the one I was thinking of which is the same amp, with slightly different cosmetic touches, as the RAD Bass combo. Great practice amp!

Tom.

20. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    +1 phill jones briefcase , i've seen people play outdoor koncerts with them , and the sound was amazing ;)