Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, Ariel Castro is dead...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hover, Sep 4, 2013.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/ariel-castro-dead-cleveland-kidnapper_n_3863597.html

Thoughts? I'll share mine.

I am on the fence with this. I take no joy in anyone's death, but I am however glad he's not breathing on my dime, as cold as I realize that can sound. Hope no one thinks less of me for that...but, what doesn't sit well with me though is that he plead guilty to get the death penalty off the table, yet he does this? It makes me feel that he learned absolutely nothing, was a sadistic sociopath, and was too much of a pussy to truly "pay" for his misdoings... had he truly learned the err of his ways, he would have accepted the consequences of his actions and served just punishment (I will stop short of an eye for an eye / death penalty debate).

Had he not been caught, he'd keep on doin it all, he had no intention of ever stopping.

2. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    I kind of look at it as poetic justice, and in a small way a win for his victims, It's apparent he couldn't handle, for what, about a week or so?, what his victims endured for ten years and survived. That makes those women way stronger than him, even though he had power over them for ten years.

3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    He could have at least had the courtesy to hang himself before the trial so the tax dollars would not have been wasted.

Alternatively, he could have done it at least 11 years ago so those three women would not have gone through that hell.

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    One does tend to preclude the other. At least in matters of self reflection and accountability.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Meh....

I kinda wish he could have lived long enough to truly appreciate the act of showering in prison long enough so that "Most of the sex was consensual" like the article claimed he said.

6. I don't care one way or the other TBH...as long as the 3 victims can find a way to be happy I'm happy. The guy was bound to die soon one way or the other

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Same here, but I would have spelled out three instead of using 3. :D

-Mike

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    One less A hole we have to support for years to come. Maybe his victems will have some peace now knowing he's gone from this world

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im with Mac/Chris.

10. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Life sentence completed in record time.

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Giving people this option, pre-trial, might save everyone a lot of pain and aggravation.

12. brothersdavis

brothersdavis

Aug 25, 2013
    Missouri
    Im with you on not wishing ill will upon anyone. But its ridiculous how much our government will support dictators and their family.
    I'm not educated enough on the subject to make a valid point. But disgust with hosting dictators needs is my opinion.
    I just hope his family is recovering from their loss.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    [​IMG]

14. That's exactly what I thought when I read the news.

He clearly can couldn't handle what he was dishing out, and I'll bet his conditions were a damn sight better than those of his victims.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :eyebrow:
    Interesting perspective on a man who held three women captive for 10 years, was convicted, and recently hung himself in his prison cell.

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It would have been nice for him to have suffered a bit more first, but...c'est la mort.

17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    His crimes were about control, and he continued to accomplish that by killing himself to remove the victims sense of justice. They can no longer back in the glory that he is getting his.

AFA wasting tax dollars to house him - I think money should be a non issue. It costs far more in court costs to put someone to death than to house them for 40 years. The punishment IMO is about society's demand for retribution and it's significance to the people as a whole - money is secondary. That's why we have the death penalty despite it's higher costs.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    True, true...

19. “I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    well...bye.