1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So how do i keep my rack from falling?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oi_pride, Jul 26, 2012.

1. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    Endorsing Artist: Knucklehead Strings
    So here's the deal. I was at a gig jamming right along when my bass suddenly got quiet, i turn and look back and my rack has fallen to the ground. I only managed to mess up a cable, and scratch the edges of the case. So, what i need to know is how to prevent this from happening again, outside of setting it on the ground.

Alright, both my cabs are covered in carpet, my rack is 6u and goes in order; amp,tuner, power conditioner, open, wireless.

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    .... Why is it not on the ground

3. Brazziere.

But seriously, get a proper rack-mount, the weight of it should stop it from moving around, if the low-frequency viibrations are contributing to the current problem.

4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    2 words: duct tape :p

5. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Rubber feet?

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Check it for stability, then find a different way to configure it.

7. Maybe some heavy duty velcro.

8. Square

Square

Apr 9, 2012
    Fresno
    bra.

9. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    I have been putting on the ground since then. The problem is i can't see my tuner, as i don't wear my glasses on stage.

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Maybe you should start wearing them, you might also see the fans laughing at you when the rig is falling. :D

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Use your wireless would be best.

Put your cord through a cab handle a couple of times.

12. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    I do use my wireless. The rack just vibrated off.

13. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Is it on wheels? Get locking ones.

X8

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Then maybe you need better cabs. There shouldn't be that much vibration from properly constructed cabs.

15. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Ohh I see. Rearrange the rack w the tuner up top?

16. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    A pic of your rig might be helpful :)

17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    +1

Your cabs need more internal bracing. Take a look at the fEARful site for pics of what proper bracing should look like. I have a full stack of fEARful 15/6 cabs powered with a Crest CA9. I'm running close to a couple thousand watts. Never had anything vibrate off the top.

18. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I have a 6-space rack that sits on top of my cabs - but my cabs don't vibrate nearly enough for the rack to move. If you have THAT much vibration, you might consider putting your rack on a separate stand - or at a minimum, put some high density foam between your rack and cabs, secured with velcro. Your racked equipment is also being subject to an unusually high (IMHO) amount of vibration - which is likely not good for your gear. I built an "H" frame out of scrap wood, covered with foam and carpet to match my cab rat fur - that my rack sits on - a buffer between rack and cabs.

19. I have a 4U rack case with very light power and pre amp components in it, so the case also moves around when the drivers pound away. Depending on what kind of cab I have under the case (8x10, 2x10, etc) I run a nylon strap with the nylon buckles and adjusters around the cab and the case, adjusting the length of the strap so it'll be snug. You'll find these things in military surplus stores or camping equipment outlets. No problems whatsoever. First tried Velcro, but it has a tendency to "fur ball" (in the absence of a better term) the portion of the cab cover it clings to if the cab cover is that rug-like material. If it's Tolex, the case becomes more slippery. So far, the strap seems to do the trick. Given the thickness of the strap, it doesn't matter if the cab has feet or not.

20. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Re-arrange it so the heavy stuff is on the bottom. If I'm understanding right, the power amp is on top? this would most likely make it top-heavy and more prone to tipping over. Put the power amp on the bottom, lighter stuff on top.