Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I finally pulled the trigger...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    After months of budgeting frustration and many "almost" situations that end up sending bass money to other needs, I've finally done the deed. My very first bass its on its way home!

Thanks to Beaver, K.C., and the awesome folks at Bass Central, a brand new MTD Kingston 5'er (Active, Trans Red, Rosewood FB) as well as other accessories in a sweet deal shall soon be in my clutches! I've also manage to snatch up a Korg Pandora PX4B from ebay, and that's on its way too.

HAPPY DAY! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. congrats! i love the kingstons, though i never tried an active model. they still have the most comfortably wide necks in my opinion. (i have the black/maple 5 string combo)

nice choice and enjoy!

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You bet your rear I'll have some pics going as soon as I get it!

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    That's great MJ - congrats!

BTW I love the avatar LOL!!! :D

6. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey, its here! I wasn't even expecting it until tomorrow or Monday, but once I saw that box being brought to my desk I was grinning like a mofo. Its been busy here at work and we're moving this weekend... but I'm gonna hafta make time to break her in!

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

7. Sweet deal man, pics as soon as possible!

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ive played one of the new active ones.
    A great bass for the money.
    Wonderful neck.

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Cool :cool:

Have fun!!!!!!! :bassist:

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    wait... FIRST bass and you get a Kingston? Dang dude.. beats the crap out of the plywood POS I started on! You are a fortunate man.

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I know, I'm grateful too. I wanted to get a good five that I could keep around for a while, so I figured better to be patient and wait until I could get a really good mid-range bass instead of settling for a low-end Ibanez or "bass pak". I couldn't be happier with my decision.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You'll be playing that thing forever I bet. I still play my fist bass at gigs. In fact, it's my main bass still. I was like you: fortunate enough to get something worthwhile for my first bass. Rock on.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    great score! I really have GAS for an MTD Kingston for some reason. I want a white one with either maple fretted or with fretless board. I wonder how the active models compare to the passives.

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Well they all go to Mike Tobias first to be inspected and set up before being shipped, so I wouldnt be too worried about the sound, hell, the passive ones sound active!!!! Yeah those are nice basses. Mike is working on designing a six!!! as soon as he can get them to design a decent p'up. Great catch, enjoy, I envy you :bassist: :meh: :bassist:

15. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    LOL, no kidding? That would be a fantastic starting point for those looking to start playing a 6'er, and then some... heck, that might even be me after a while!

Hopefully I'll have pics ready by Monday, lots of stuff going on at work and at home keeping me busy.

16. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I still haven't had a chance to take my own pics, but here are pics of the same model bass from a local shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm trippin' over here, because I still haven't had time to sit down and work with it because of the weekend moving madness, and it looks like things won't let up until next week before I can finally put in some quality time with it. :bawl: I've kept it boxed and out of sight to avoid torturing myself. Patience, man...