1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So many threads on this, HYSTERIA!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MichaelJessen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I've got the ussr big muff and the akai deep impact, but i cant get close to this sound, its so massive.

Any ideas?

2. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yup. You have to be Chris Wolstenholme, and you're not.

3. Ok. Thank you for telling me the obvious.

I can play it like he does, so that can't be it ;).

Is it because he might be running 2 amps?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you read through all of those threads, you'd know the answer to your question; and no I don't mean "the obvious". He uses a massive amount of gear, and it all contributes to his tone.

5. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    If there were so many threads about it, why didn't you just bump one of those?

6. Its actually just clean. What you need is a fire engine red jazz bass. Done.

7. He uses two rigs. one clean, and one dirty. (It has been reported he runs one big muff into another for really thick fuzz.)

So, the massive tone he gets is from two massive marshall bass amps anyway.

On the recording on Absolution (from what I can hear) there are actually 4 lines being played simultaneously, one playin the riff distorted, one playing it clean, one playing just the distorted root notes and letting them ring, and a square wave synth also playing the riff.

The closest I would guess you can get would be some heavy distortion (i.e. your muff) but blended with your clean tone.

I hope my rambling helps!

8. Jimbob Jones, thank you.

9. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I thought he ran three amps... but maybe just two.
    I know he uses a Big Muff and a Human Gear Animato Distortion. He also uses the Deep Impact, and the only song I know for sure he uses it on is, "Time Is Running Out". He also has a Digitech BSW. He used to have a SYB-3, but not anymore. He also uses the Line 6 FM4, Boss OC-2 Octave, Boss DD-3, and a Boss PS-3. He runs a couple of different loops with these. One for Big fat bottom, one for fuzz, one for over the top distortion.

10. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    This was taken during Absolution..
    Chrisabsolutionrack.
    Chrisabsolutionpedalboard.
    Chrisabsolutionpedalboard2.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Gear schmear - the tone is in the hands. . .

12. Its the red damnit!

13. ben1787

ben1787

Sep 21, 2008
    Ok he runs 3 amps:

1) Clean
    2) 2 muffs 1 russian and 1 USA I think
    3) Distortion (not sure what he uses)

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You're absolutely right. Use your hands to turn the knobs on your amps and effects exactly the right way, and - presto - there's the tone!

15. Sounds like a synth....no thanks.

16. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    i don't know this is exactly what he does but this shold be able to get it pretty close
    it must be possible with less gear than that. not exactly the same but its gotta possible to get pretty close
    get two outputs happening from your bass somewhere along the line
    get one and set the deep impact to have a very low almost bubbly tone i dont wanna say farty but oh i just did.. next EQ it to sound like his i'd say make a bit of a scoop of the mids... lots of very deep bass and a bit of mid-high treble
    take the other output and feed it into some kind of fuzz set the tone relatively low
    get them both to different amps and on the akai one and do a bit more EQing
    let me know how it works out

17. Ok.. interesting proposal. At the moment I don't have the gear to do that, but since I'm not looking to copy his tone, but simply achieving one that is close and can be used in some passages I will try it out at some point.

18. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I run a Jazz, clean into a LMII through a Trace 2x10 and i get his exact tone. His tone obviously must be running through my veins.

:meh:

19. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    While it's not necessarily going the same route, a ZVex Woolly Mammoth will handle that buzzy fuzz with no problem.

Even better if you build one yourself, since they are very simple and cost WAAAAAAY too much.

20. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    My head does a marvelous job at copping his distorted sound. The overdrive circuit is based on a Mesa Bottle Rocket pedal. You might want to try one of those out.

Can't help you with the simultaneous parts you hear on the album though :p.