1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So this happened.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    After our gig last night I let my guitarist play my bass with a girl we know who is in another band. It was her party/tailgate at her sisters house. So I was watching the game not really paying attention. This morning I unpack everything and I noticed this burn mark. I'm not mad, honestly it's ok. I am however mad at the lack of care and attention with my gear. So I'm trying to figure out how I feel about this. Would you be pissed?

2. beobass

beobass

Nov 26, 2005
    CT
    Yup.

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Huh? Be mad!

4. RBellavance

RBellavance

Apr 17, 2013
    Very much so.

5. So he pinched a cigarette behind one string of your bass.
    A simple way to make it easier for him to smoke cigarettes: smash his teeth.
    What an ***hole!

6. So are you mad or not? I can't tell.

It's your gear, you have a right to be upset that is was damaged. But it's your gear. You had a responsibility to ensure its well being.

I bet watching the game isn't more important than watching your bass now.

C'est la vie.

7. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah. This is why I don't let people touch my stuff. I'm going to call him tomorrow and tell him what happened and that I'm pissed.

8. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    That's just wrong. I would be furious. Think about it for a second. He burns your headstock then packs it up and doesn't say anything? In my opinion, it shows a lack of respect for you and your gear. It also speaks of his character or lack thereof.

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Even though the damage is minimal and won't affect the playability at all, its still pretty disrespectful.

I can just picture someone trying to be oh-so-cool with a cigarette tucked behind the strings....and not even with their own bass.

I didn't know people still did that kind of lame stuff.

10. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I would. I was playing at a friends 4th of July party several years ago (I was playing guitar at the time) and the guys sister in law was trying to throw a glass of water on him but guess where all of that water went. Yep, all over my Fender Telecaster. The guy could never figure out why my band refused to play at any more of his parties, but that was why. People should have a little more respect than that. Although, with all of these reliced basses being all the rage and having fake cigarette burns on them, you my friend have the real thing. Years from now when that bass is beaten and battered from being played people will look at it and wonder how the burn got there. You'll have a story to tell.

11. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Was she hot?

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This isn't an accidental bang against something. That would be one thing. This is just douchey.

13. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I didn't think these new cigarettes could even do this anymore since they are made to go out now.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ^ Right on the money...

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    If it was one of my Fenders or Squires I wouldn't care. If it was my Pentabuzz I'd be absolutely furious. I don't know if that's weird or not, but I guess I'm used to the aesthetic of a beat up Precision or Jazz, but a tatty looking 'high end' bass just bugs me no end.

16. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Bummer. Play it.

17. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I wouldn't mind the burn but I'd be pissed at him for not telling you about it. Actually, I'd be pissed at the burn.

18. manghu67

manghu67

Jun 13, 2011
    Omaha NE
    You can't be afraid to tell people no.

Just because I'm a nice guy does not mean that I'm under any obligation to allow people to utilize my gear. I've worked very hard to be able to afford what I consider to be some really nice stuff, and I intend to keep it that way. You can't hand someone your instrument and just expect that they're going to respect it as much as you do, because they didn't pay for it. I would probably let a guy play through my rig if I already had it set up onstage, as long as he didn't mess with my settings. But play my bass as well? Aw HELL no. You say you didn't bring an instrument to the gig? Guess you're not playing, then.

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That was my first thought as well ... feels like wanna-be rock star to me ...

But maybe people actually do this, I don't smoke so what do I know?

20. I'd punch him in the head for being such an idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.