Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some good funk albums???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Knavery, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone know of any good funk albums new or old? I've done a search and gotten a pretty extensive list. I'm looking for straight up rocken funk in the vein of Stevie Wonder's song Superstition or similar--not really R & B. I love the heavy, nasty, smelly funk. ;)

2. Anything by Parliment.

One nation under a groove by Funkadelic, or anything by Funkadelic is good.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sly & The Family Stone-Stand!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree, Josh.

That debut album by GCS is almost like another Sly & the Family Stone record.
    ...hard to beat the Bro-Js in their youthful heyday, too!

5. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Cool... Thanks for the recommendations. Would you guys suggest anything by James Brown or The Meters?

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Tower of Power

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Just about ANYTHING by Tower of Power is a sure fire winner (however, stay away from "Back On The Streets", a very disastrous attempt at disco, not much horns either)

James Brown: There's tons of good compilations, his 70's stuff with the JB's is the best and funkiest (albums like Super Bad, Reality, There It Is, Black Caesar soundtrack album, Hell, Payback and more)

I also recommend Mandrill and Osibisa for even more adventurous musical tastes.

Stevie Wonder: Music of My Mind, Inner Visions, Songs In The Key of Life, Talking Book are all classics too!

I also ditto the Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station and Parliament/Funkadelic recommendations too!

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Check out Best of the Meters and any James Brown best of or greatest hits. You can't go wrong.

9. Defiantly check out some Maceo Parker.

Live on Planet Earth is a popular one for him, I also have one called Southern Exposure I really like.

Live on Planet Earth has got some heavy, nasty, greasy, smelly funk on it! All I can say is Kenwood Dennard is the man!

10. I think it doesn't get much funkier than Herbie Hancock's Headhunters' cds - Thrust and Headhunters. Paul Jackson is simply one of the funkiest bass players to walk the earth.
    Spank-A-Lee on Thrust just smokes.

Other groups to recommend: Isely Brothers and Graham Central Station; Tower of Power (all 70's era stuff).

Have fun.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    this one recently released. A name from the past, new members, pretty good ole' funk.

Attached Files:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People might get on me for this, but I thought the Commodores were absolutely brilliant when Lionel Richie wasn't singing sappy ballads. "Machine Gun" is a highlight.

The Ohio Players were cool...check out "Skin Tight" and "Fire."

War had a lot of simple bass parts, but they grooved so sweet that it didn't matter.

Billy Preston...I got to see Billy Preston this summer when he played with Bowzer's Rock and Roll Party at the Mohegan Sun in Ct. That dude serves up some serious funk.

13. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Bootsy...The One Giveth, And The Count Taketh Away.

Shine-O-Mite!

:D

14. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Don't leave out Prince. The little guy could grind it out as nasty as anyone. Check his Black Album for some oozing cuts.

15. Check out Quincy Jones finest hour in MJs "Off The Wall" a whole slab of it....

try playin "Get on the floor" and see how you go....

The greatest funk album of all time? :bag:

16. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Stinky funk? Meters, Meters, Meters . . . .

17. Lol! :D I love Bootsyisms...

18. I've just picked up the Bootsy Collins Anthology (Glory B, da funk's on me!) and I love Parliament's greatest hits.

19. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yabadaba-Dooza Baboon!

Worth the price just for the live cut of "Psychoticbumpschool"

[​IMG]

20. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    There's some scorching funk on this one:

[​IMG]

This was around the time he was taking some of his older hits and re-arranging them with his new band (Bootsy and Phelps Collins, Clyde Stubblefield et al.)The first time I heard "Give it Up or Turn it A Loose" I nearly cried. You gotta buy this CD and check it out.

Also check out the box set Star Time