1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOMEONE BUILD ME MY IDEAL BASS!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chriscisme, Jan 26, 2012.

1. chriscisme

chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    Hey All,

Im a left handed bassist searching for the holy grail. The retail market selection is VERY sparse, so im looking towards luthiers to help me build one.

Specs

- 5-6 string
    - Preferably Bartolinis

trying to get a look like a carvin/lecompte bass.

anyone out there who i can go into more detail with let me know.

thanks

2. chriscisme

chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    also, looking for around 1500 dollar budget.

3. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    cant solicate on this board....unfortuanatly.
    email some builders directly; the price range is a litlle low imo

4. chriscisme

chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    if i knew builders to email, i wouldnt put up this post in the first place

if anyone could give me a bunch of names of builders, thatd be fantastic.

5. +1 on both remarks.. raw material of a 5 string easily gets you up to 1200 dollars on the retail market

find build threads of builders that suit your style and PM them

6. gb_bassclef

gb_bassclef

Oct 26, 2007
    Paris France
  7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Carvin doesn't make a left-handed model?

8. Builders generally aren't paying retail price for hardware, sometimes electronics, and it all matters where you live and what you want for wood. In my experience the material cost for a bass is more like $300-600 on average not that it can't go as high as you want!

And to the OP, support your local luthier! Ask around music stores, and musicians on your scene and you'll find one within driving distance for sure.

9. LeCompte basses look fantastic! Why don't you just have him make one for you? He does everything you mentioned and it's in your price range!

10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Winner!

11. + infinity.

There is no "ideal bass"

There is however, such a thing as contentment. People prefer GAS for some reasons tho...

12. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

May 12, 2011

The truth of the matter is the end product is only as good as the quality of the products and craftsmanship it's made from.

13. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    build a kit bass! if you are close to PA, I will help you. My five string warmoth is a very decent bass for $800 in parts.

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Just so there isn't any confusion, I just speced and bought materials for a customer, the specs were;

5 string neck through Single Cut,
    Wenge and purpleheart neck, Mac ebony fretboard 26 fret
    Walnut body with a very good grade top
    Bartolini pickups, Aguilar OBP3, and black hipshot hardware
    Cost to me for all materials, hardware, and electronics?
    $929, and that includes shipping and Case

People do not get what it costs just for the materials to build a bass, then the amount of time in doing all of the wood milling and prep before you can start building. Then the 50-60 hours of build and finish time.
    You can buy parts from the parts manufacturers, parts off ebay, and build a parts bass cheap, but for most small builders to build an instrument for under 2K can sometimes be tough. When they get into the $3500+ range it starts getting to be a different world of business model.

This is just so you have an understanding that we as builders don't make a lot on instruments after time, materials, and overhead.

As for Builders, Check out these TB'ers:
    Regenerate Guitar works(Rodent here on TB)
    FBB Custom
    Drake Custom
    Grantbass
    Rickett Custom
    BassCycle

All could be capable of building what you want, but price is a different story

15. I'd be saving double that for a real custom bass.

real hands + real timber + real components = real $$$$.

Alternatively, build your own like I am. However, you will spend $3k on tools and timbers so it all adds up the same really.

16. The retail prices were for reference. I'm not a professional builder and that's what I have to pay. Also, in my country things are a bit more expensive then in the US. If you look at MusicLogic's post, you see that I'm not far off. Building a quality bass for $300 is impossible, let alone an 'ideal' bass. And if you'd assume you could to it for $600, you have $900 left in the OP's budget. If you would be able to finish the instrument in 60 hours, that would be $15 per hour, minus the cost for maintaining your equipment, electricity etc. But since a five string is probably going to cost more in parts and there's more involved than only parts I think you'd be making one for free...

+1

17. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Pretty sure Carvin makes left handed basses.

18. chriscisme

chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    they do, im just trying to weigh my options and find a better custom shop bass before biting the bullet on the carvin

unless it really is just the way to go.

19. I'm just in the process of building something for a family member and in Australia things are also more exy than the US. However, I could put all the hardware/timber together for about AU$300. However, that is chinese hardware and pickups. I don't think that's a drama since everything we buy for under $1k retail has all this hardware anyway, but for something custom with name brand hardware and electronics, the price will literally be 10 times the price of the chinese stuff...before shipping.

P.s. The AU$300 is BEFORE any labour.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    SOMEONE BUILD ME MY IDEAL BASS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you pay them they will build it.