1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sonic maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 77mmstingray, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    does anyone use a sonic maximizer in their rig?

2. Fixed that for you.... :bag:

3. I bought into that a long time ago thinking it was some magical tone enhancer... didn't do anything really.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My whole rig is a sonic maximizer.

5. Helluvatim

Helluvatim

Sep 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yup, i have one in my rack setup and a stop box version when i am running without my rack setup. Love it! Worlds of diffrence!

6. The worst your rig sounds, the better they work. A good rig shouldn't need one.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why was this posted in the "Amps" forum - of all places? :rolleyes:

MM

8. "its like taking a blanket off your speakers" - its MAGIC!

9. In theory it is a great tool, in practice it sounds pretty much like a mid scoop IMO/E

10. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've found with certain cabs it makes a positive difference because it boosts bass at a slightly higher point than the typical 40 Hz (Eden, MB, Ampeg, etc.), and it doesn't mud things out below that point. I've had the best results with cabs that don't have a mid-bass hump, and have good low-end extension.

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Sonic Maximizer is a high-frequency expander - the louder the sound, the more it boosts the highs. It can add a huge 26 dB of boost, so you have to watch out for clipping.

To compensate for the super high boost, there is a fixed low boost as well. The combination of HF and LF boost leaves the mids scooped.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1

It's like salt on food; if the meal is terrible, a bunch of salt makes it OK.

If the food is good, dumping salt on it ruins it.

13. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I used to use one, got rid of it not too long ago. My favorite description of the sound is that it's like really big b**b implants on a really skinny girl.

14. So fun for a while but completely unnatural, and once you mature you realize you want the real thing? :ninja:

15. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I know a guy that swears by his. Frankly, I've never heard much difference with his on or off. I don't know, but if it works for you, go for it!

16. 77mmstingray

77mmstingray

Jan 29, 2012
    thanks. looks like general consensus is dont bother
    btw, who really cares what forum its posted on

17. I bought a rack unit off eBay and eBayed it right back out of my rack. Love the way these get compared to girls. Mine probably had 100 owners all of whom used it just once.

18. There is a dedicated Effects section - which this would fall under as its not an amp.

Its always best to post under the appropriate section for best responses.

19. People with more experience with effects read and post in that forum, likewise those with more experience with amps here.

20. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Sonic Maximizers are way misunderstood and mostly over-used when they are used. If they are still true to the original BBE designs, they are a dynamic high-frequency eq, meaning they boost highs when there are highs present to be boosted, but they do not boost highs when there are no highs, or no signal, so they don't enhance hi-end noise like a 'static' hi frequency eq would. They also react dynamically, meaning they boost highs more or less depending on much high frequency action there is in the signal. If you are already using your amp or an outboard eq to boost your highs, then you should set the maximizer so it is just slightly brightening things overall, and pull back on your other eq so things don't get too bright. But if it is making a night-and-day difference when you switch it on and off, I promise you are WAY over-using it and you will wear your and the audiences ears out with it. They are a MAJOR source of listening fatigue. I personally agreee with CL400Peavey - they suck - but if some people get what they want from them, then it's all good.