1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

source audio c4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Forscore looks pretty darned cool. I'd have to upgrade my lyrics machine and migrate all my charts and lyric sheets from Good Reader. Maybe a task for a rainy week... Looks like I need a camera kit ? I wonder if it works with the midi over bluetooth gizmo. I've heard that some stuff does, some doesn't... No cable is more appealing than more cable to me...

2. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Sweet will do thanks!

Standalone likes this.
  3. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Forgot to mention the wife sings but played acordian in her younger years and have been doing blues/ska together with me setting rythm and layering through my looper. She surprised me and pulled it out blew the dust off as its been a while but shes knocking out harmonica type licks so weve been experimenting..gonna give your recording a listen now

Standalone likes this.
  4. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    That was great man I listened to it shaving my head lol were you using c4 around th 40 min mark 2nd last song? Also some stellar bass plaing throughout. Fav song i think was the last one at around 43 min in..Great bass playing in that one!! Rock on man!

PS your organ player is killer,, Loved his style and chops

Standalone likes this.
  5. If Good reader can export PDFs, it's really slick to add them in ForScore. I put all my charts in Dropbox, link to that in the Services menu of ForScore, and then it's just a matter of pointing FS to the right folder... You just click on the PDFs and have them all imported in a matter of seconds.

I've thought about a bluetooth MIDI, but the one I was looking at (the Yamaha) is powered off the out port of your device. In the case of my main board, I go into the HXFX first, and then out to the Neuro Hub, so that wouldn't work in my particular case unfortunately.

If that doesn't work for you, you're correct. You'll need the Camera Connector, not just a Lightning > USB adapter.

5sg.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Thanks so much, man. I'm stoked you checked it out!

This is kind of a pickup supergroup of local Connecticut jam band musicians. Steve Provost of Jeremiah Hazed (and the excellent Max Creek tribute Something Is Forming) is the keys player. I always dig his playing.

The guitar player, John Spignesi, is the leader and songwriter in the band I regularly play in, JSB. There's a cool Jam scene here in southern New England.

The effect that was happening in the run up to that 40 minute mark is an EHX Hot Tubes. I switch from the C4 to straight tone to the Hot tubes from 37m to 40m. As it rings out at the end of that build, it's that Hot Tubes and I'm just on my volume knob going "wowwowwowwow...."

fivestringgecko likes this.
  7. It's a great sound!

Curiosity has the best of me... HT Nano, or one of the original ones with actual tubes?

(thinking out loud, as I hope to have an Ultrawave on it's way to me in the not too distant future, and would love to cop a sound like that. And I've been kinda infatuated with Tubes lately)

5sg.

Standalone likes this.
  8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It's a nano! (did the old ones REALLY have real tubes???)
    Great pedal -- 100% worth trying. My bass has hot passive pickups and it drives it really well. I don't have it on an extreme setting. It just does that late sixties sound so well, and doesn't make my bass disappear in the mix.

Edit: part of the tone is my Gk700RB and my two Bag End 15's -- there is a little natural grind to the tone.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    JackMinion and fivestringgecko like this.
  9. They did indeed, a pair of 12AX7s. Coincidentally, not sure on how long my willpower will last on also checking out a Tube Zipper, since I'm an envelope filter junkie.

Sorry... /thread derail! lol

5sg.

Standalone and JackMinion like this.
  10. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Ya man dont mention it!! Awww ya ivw seen demos of the hot tubes.. cool pedal!

Standalone likes this.
  11. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Will do. Have a rehearsal tonight. I did a factory reset on the C4 after posting last night, and then reloaded my 6 presets from the cloud. Will see if it acts up and I can email your support team either way. Appreciate the response!

12. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    That’s fairly straightforward: when browsing community patches, swipe left on an item in the list and you get the option to burn, edit, add to library or share. Either edit there then press “save”, or add it to your library then from within the “library” tab, swipe left to bring up options, click “edit”, make your changes then hit “save”. In either case, pressing “save” will add the preset to your library.

After making the edits and saving your required patches, you can simply click on the item in the list to load it into the buffer of the pedal to hear it. Or you could swipe left and press “burn” to write it to an internal preset memory slot.

AlexanderB and jkazam like this.
  13. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Well, here is a bit of random history:

I was born in New Haven and lived there until about age 19. In about 1973 (age 13), I took an electronic music class at the Community Music School (still there) using the Electrocomp 200 Synth. About a year earlier I took apart a Heathkit record player and turned it into a guitar amp to impress a bass-ass guitar player 2 classes ahead of me at the Foote School in New Haven (it did not work very well, so he got a Fender Twin). During this era I as deeply influenced by the jam music flowing from WPLR and the funk/soul from WAVZ. I purchased Headhunters at release from Cutler's records, expecting jazz piano. Herbie blew my mind wide open!!

This is all to say that without my formative years in New Haven and the exposure to all kinds of progressive and interesting music, Source Audio and the C4 would not exist.

AlexanderB, GMC, bassbrad and 10 others like this.
  14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Right on -- an electronic music class in 1973 must have been a real trip! Cutler's is gone, but Toad's is still there around the corner; pending the reopening of planet earth.

Roots and experience mean so much -- New Haven is a great community, and it's little wonder that it played a part in the great products Source Audio is putting out and the cool interactive community that is happening around sharing user designed sounds.

I was influenced by Philly rock radio and oldies stations that my father had on in the early and mid eighties. My parents were also born in New Haven, though!

(It's cool that you attended Foote! My eldest is an eleventh grader at nearby Hopkins; both boys went to New Haven Public Schools K-8.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    AlexanderB, bassbrad and rsmith601 like this.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, after a few months without one, I had to break down and buy a C4 again. Thought I could live without having one, but I thought wrong. So Sweetwater got more of my money tonight.

16. Nightmara

Nightmara

Oct 28, 2020
    I cant get input to clip at all with yamaha trbx 504 playing passive is this normal? Gainstaging seems pretty hard sometimes. I just use input 100 cause it doesn't turn red?
    Also usb not working, hopefully it's my cable. Well, back it goes if it's faulty.
    Soundwise it's a cool little box

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  17. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    New C4 user here... so far, super cool pedal. Way too many options, but I really dig it. One thing I'm having a really hard time doing - balancing the output volume of the patches from the cloud and new ones I make. I have read the manual, I understand the input calibration - but is there any easy way to balance the output? I keep having to back and forth from my PC to my amp, trying to make adjustments - each time it comes out more screwy than before.

I noted the input level where the pedal flashes, I tried to stick with that. I noted the output volume on a patch that works well and tried to use that as a base. Not a lot of luck with the others. Is there any type of metering system to use to balance the output levels? It's becoming quite the PITA to get my output for live use sorted out.

18. Welcome to the C4, there is always a bit of a rocky honeymoon period with this pedal due to the complexity, once you get more familiar it will become second nature to see what the settings are in Neuro and make adjustments for unity volume. Be patient, watch all the demos and videos, if you are like me repeated viewings may be necessary until you finally grok the C4. Admittedly I still struggle but am enjoying the discovery process.

gustobassman likes this.
  19. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Unfortunately, there isn't a nice simple way to just make all your patches come out at the same volume. You'll need to edit each patch to taste and then save it. Not a deficiency of the C4; just the nature of the synthesizer beast in general.

DrColossus68 and gustobassman like this.
  20. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Thanks for the replies! I've had it for a few days, Ive tried a few things and just got a little frustrated, lol. I just discovered the preset mode in the last hour or so. It's made some of the volume balancing easier.

Just rough it on the Editor and then fine tune vol levels at the amp and save to the pedal. It seems to work in theory, so far... Lol.

bassbrad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021