1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

source audio c4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    he does this starting at 7:30 on pretty much, again he doesn't do the calibration thing, but he burns a preset onto the pedal then edits it (Input Gain and Master Volume) and saves it. As @Gibs210 said, you can figure out the best Input Gain for a particular bass and just write the numeric value down for that parameter then you can do that with every preset you want to use with that bass rather than recalibrating every time.

If you want to edit a preset then save it to your Library instead of onto the pedal, you just find the preset> click on the right of it> hit edit> edit the preset to taste> hit "save". You should get a menu where you can choose the instrument type and give it a name and save to library> Hit Save. Now you have an edited preset in your library to load on the pedal whenever

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    No way that would work in my band... band leader calls from the book or he just launches... I might need a 4 or a 5 or a fretless... I'm adept a very quick changes but being able to step on a footswitch is mandatory for me.

3. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    Sounds good will give it a shot. Thanks

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    We're talking about saving presets, so I suppose you can have multiple versions of a patch saved as necessary. Or just know the knob position and use the pedal in a WYSIWYG mode where the knob on the pedal sets your Input Gain regardless of when you switch presets (and still know where to quickly move the knob in case of bass changes, or use the Volume on your basses to keep them consistent).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Pre efx chain gain balancing for the win... (in my opinion anyway).

I'm also mixing from stage, selecting the mixer efx patch for a song sometimes setting a lighting scene, maybe looking for a chart on my ipad... things have to be very streamlined.Gain balancing my basses is just common sense ...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    sunbeast likes this.
  6. Sounds like you would benefit from some MIDI in your life. :thumbsup:

5sg.

jasonmitsch and DrColossus68 like this.
  7. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Hey gents. I've been using my C4 for some synth interlude stuff and as an octaver in a project I'm in now. Sadly, I'm having a weird issue where the pedal will get 'stuck' in the engaged state. So I will randomly be unable to turn it off, change between red/green preset modes, or even change between the 3 presets on the toggle switch. My only solution is to pull the power and restart my board, which means its more or less unusable right now.

For some context/details, I know it's getting ample, clean power. I'm using a Strymon Zuma, and it has its own isolated 500mA jack. Have swapped the power cable, and even tried a one spot by itself from a separate power outlet. I've loaded a bunch of patches into the Neuro app from when I was using a midi controller last year, but as of now it's just the 6 patches the pedal can hold between red/green modes. Kind of at a loss for what else I can do. So any suggestions would be great!

@voodoobassist - I noticed you posted about a similar issue in the past. Any clue how you resolved it or did it just seem to stop happening?

8. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    I don't really like the sound of this. Please send a note to contact@sourceaudio.net. We will get you fixed up one way or the other!

AlexanderB and JackMinion like this.
  9. I never truly resolved this issue with the Nuero app. I now use the midi pad pro app, $2.99 I think, to access the presets from my phone. I use the apple camera dongle and access via the usb on the C4. Works like a charm with zero glitches for the past month or so.

AlexanderB and JackMinion like this.
  10. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    So just with an apple camera dongle and the midi pad pro app what features does this increase from just plugging my android pee say connected to neuro app. Sorry im a noob and still dont fully get my c4 pedal. Mind you i havent had allot of editing time period with the pedal software.

AlexanderB likes this.
  11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven

I shared this in the Source Audio Sorcerers thread, but I thought y’all would dig this track from a Jam this past December.

First time really using the pedal live.

equill, rsmith601 and JackMinion like this.
  12. First let me say, I'm the last person to come to for midi/ techy type stuff for advice! ;) The biggest, I guess, advantage to going the midi pad app route is, You're sending midi commands directly to the C4 rather than relying on your library on the Nuero cloud. At least thats what I THINK is the advantage. I'm an old guy and what I know about midi could fit on a pin head with room to spare.

What I've done is burn my most used patches to the C4 and use the simple midi editor on the midi pad app to trigger them. Once again, what I THINK this does, is cut out relying on pulling patches from the cloud library. I may be completely wrong on that assumption , but whatever is actually happening, I haven't had the problem of patches getting stuck or not loading at all like I did with the Neuro app on my phone.

I think there's an android version of the midi pad app, but not positive on that. Here's a pic of the app screen on my phone and a quick vid of how to set it up for the HX stomp, which is what I originally got the app for. IMG_5651.PNG

DrColossus68, Andy V. and JackMinion like this.
  13. Voodoo beat me to it, and I haven't done a video (yet?), but I also use Midipad on my iPad (and ForScore) for MIDI control. Just plugging your phone in and using the Neuro app lets you edit a patch on the fly, but it only allows you to manage/upload one patch at a time. Something like Midipad is more of a controller. It doesn't allow you to edit patches, but it allows you to switch patches much easier and more immediately.

Here's a screenshot of the Midipad page I have set up for my main board. Each box sends a PC and/or CC command to do different things, and I can color code them as well. Dark grey for C4/Synth patches, purple for filter patches, the top two rows are for patches/snapshots in my HX Effects, and the tuner is a toggle that turns the tuner on my HXFX on/off. Very slick. It's customizable with number of blocks, too. (See below for a couple examples)

And in ForScore, I can program each chart to send commands automatically. Just by pulling up/changing charts, ForScore can control my board automatically. It can call up a specific patch for the song, turn things on/off. @4Mal, this would probably benefit you a lot... I often find myself in situations where the BL is calling up tunes at random as well, and it works great. To get more nerdy, I have a bluetooth page turner, so I can change charts with a footswitch.

I wanted a Morningstar MC6 for quite a while, but I always have my iPad with me at gigs anyway and this total package is roughly $50 for all the apps and cables, and it's been a HUGE quality of life upgrade in a fast paced stage environment. Well... when there were gigs. lol

5sg.

Midipad lets me control patches on the fly in situations where I'm not using charts.

MIDIPad_HXFX.jpg

I set up this one for a band audition where I was only using my HX Stomp, just a couple snapshots and a little dirt.

midipad_JRB.jpg

ForScore...

ForScore_MIDI.jpg

122320_MP.jpg

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    For ages... like a decade, maybe more I've been using a Bassbone for gain balancing. An HX Stomp arrives today (UPS willing) and my plan is using the EQ2 for that 2 in, 1 out to the HX. New board I expect to be Eq2 HX Stomp with C4 and Future Impact in the efx loops.

Scenes wil be organized in Soleman lists and lists I'll bank through using The HX Command Center. Soleman will talk to the c4 through Neural hub.

So I have some midi in my life... unfortunately the mixer does not talk midi and that is where I tend to spend the most time between songs.

Lighting scene changes are pretty easy. I'm working mostly with washes and LED sticks and I have pre built chases I can fire off the controller via a click. Pretty much static stuff, not tied to any particular song. Just trying to vary the look when I have to do it all... I have a lighting company partner for events where we need a more active look.

JackMinion likes this.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    @fivestringgecko I notice you have the C4 and Spectrum on your board. Given the C4 is able to run Spectrum patches, what utility does that give you ? I have both as well beginnng to wonder why...

16. There's definitely overlap, but having both on the board lets me always have a killer filter patch loaded and ready based on mood. Sometimes I'll kick on a filter in the Spectrum just to add a little additional seasoning to a song where I might not have a patch added to a chart, for example, or for a filter on a solo. That leaves the C4 for the heavy lifting for programmed patches.

I do also sometimes swap out the Spectrum for my Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser, too... my all time favorite filter. I've got a patch for it on Spectrum/C4 that's darn close, but there's some kind of magic (analog phatness?) in the BEP that nothing has ever matched for me. But the Spectrum is nice for the versatility.

5sg.

17. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Really dig what you guys are doing, sounds great and your solo rocked! Could listen to this all night! Altough i know its not you through the c4 the one thing i wish the c4 could do would be a hammond organ. Cheers and thanks for the listen!

Standalone likes this.
  18. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Thanks for the info it made sense to me old guy jk im 47 and getting up there haha might start greasing the wheel on the c4. Ive had it for a month or so and have been relyinng on a few community uploads but but like to add some more control for the future..been eyeing comp pedals and dirt lately..might just get an hx stomp instead and get lots more other options..ive read nothing but great things with the hx and bass guitar..thanks again for the reply!

19. JackMinion

JackMinion

Dec 24, 2020
    Wow man that looks awesome and i have to check out Forscore that is brilliant. Thanks for the reply I get how it works now and will give her a go. That tablet looks huge what size is it?

fivestringgecko likes this.
  20. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Thanks, man! We decided to do a set of all improv stuff made up on the spot as a group — a mix of guys from a couple of different bands. I clicked on that pedal and this song came out.

Here’s the whole set if you want some more instrumental jams.

Andy V. likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021