1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

source audio c4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    You might have a very low-output bass.

2. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    It’s a stingray.

voodoobassist likes this.
  3. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Fair enough, that should have enough heft to max it out. You do need to keep moving the knob as you’re playing otherwise it times out. (Presumably you don’t have the preamp dialled back on the bass.)

4. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    I should look at instruction book lol.

I did notice that when I was playing if I stopped or held a note and it faded it would then jus turn straight red which seems odd.

5. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Also, once you set calibration and you hit alt button to you the sense part of that knob, when you switch back will it screw with your input level or does it remember where you had it before you adjusted knob for sense on alt.

6. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Adjusting the alt functions does nothing to the underlying primary knob function.

Bear in mind, the input gain needs to be set per patch as it is stored as part of the preset information.

7. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Ok thanks. So it sounds like it’s best to use one bass with the pedal to save constantly recalibrating. Will probably stick with my stingray 5er vs my rick.

8. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    If the basses have a similar output it’s ok, or you could dial the louder one back to match the output of the quieter one.

Witness412 likes this.
  9. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    One last thing for now. Does the input level calibration get automatically saved for each preset if I’m not using phone/desktop yet to save things?

10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    You’ll need to save the preset again in order preserve the change you make.

Bunky likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You know, you really should. There are different 'modes' in how it handles what the knobs not only do but if they 'hold' their values or reset them.

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1- there are lots of things out there that are plug + play, but the C4 doesn't qualify IMO. Too many settings and features available that totally change how it functions and that are not immediately apparent just from looking at the pedal.

BurningSkies likes this.
  13. ReeV0

ReeV0

Apr 5, 2013
    Does anyone have any good pointers for getting the bass tone that's used on Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal, on the C4? It almost sounds like a double bass but not quite...

14. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    I’ve got the pedal configured to my bass but it’s pushing the threshold on my pf-500 any suggestions?

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lower the Master Volume on the C4 on any presets that are too loud. The Master Volume is not global, so you have to edit it per preset just like the Input Level

16. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    A video on calibrating and saving presets to individual basses would be awesome for anyone who’s inclined.

17. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just did a quick search, and Source Audio did it for us quite awhile back! He takes a Cloud preset, saves to the pedal, then adjusts Input Gain and Master Volume then resaves, starting around the middle of the video. Didn't watch to see if he specifically did the input calibration thing, but the beauty of that is that you can find the specific numeric value for a particular bass that you can note and use again on other patches.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I cable 2 basses for every gig. Differing output levels. Your best bet is a gain balancing switcher so that the levels remain consistent regardless of the bass.
    Devices that come to mind are
    1. Radial Big Shot I/O 2 channels. One has a 'dimmer' pot. Use that to turn down the 'ray
    2. Radial BassBone - a very not so sexy but incredibly useful tool
    3. Source Audio EQ2 - Route input 2 to Output 1. Create patch settings to select the input and adjust the gain appropriately.
    I have all 3. Been using the Radial stuff for years. I'm just adding in an HX Stomp and I am considering using option 3 above.

Thinking of adding an internal trim pot to my Marco N1 P which is slightly hotter than my Lull P5. I would do the same with a Fralin equipped P fretless. The 3 P's are quieter than my Valenti J with Big Blades. If I get the P's in balance then they can gang up on 1 channel.

As I am also a sound co owner/operator (if the biz ever comes back anyway...) I'm just going to say that for the most part, unless you are a solo bass artist... It is your responsibility to send FOH a reasonably consistent signal.

With basses as different as a 'ray 5 and a ric. I might be inclined to send 2 separate lines to FOH and decide which should be dry and which should be wet unless you want to invest in multiple efx chains...

19. jkazam

jkazam Supporting Member

May 25, 2007
    This video is OK, but what would really help is one that goes through how to modify and save presets to your library through the app. I know I’m always going to be swapping in and out presets and it would be nice to have them ready to go instead of adjusting the I/O levels every time I burn a preset or move one around.

20. Gibs210

Gibs210 Commercial User

Aug 31, 2019
    Part time Tech Support for Source Audio effects
    If you can figure out your normal input level for each bass, you can make a note somewhere and just set the input gain accordingly depending on the bass your using.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021