1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Southampton Pedals show some love thread!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alien8, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    All this love for the Fifth Gear V1 and the V2, the Ictineo and rumours of more awesome to come!!

Great company, stand up dudes, killer pedals!!

Share your favourite settings, pics on your board and appreciation for what @SouthamptonPdls does for us bass (and guitar!?) players.

Here's my V1, in the magic setting.

image.

There's recent news that Josh of the infamous Broughton has teamed up on a few designs! I'm looking forward to more from these guys!!

image.

I don't have any affiliation other than being a really happy customer!!

blindrabbit, Agosix, speyer and 16 others like this.
  2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
  3. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I want a Bro-ham sammich.

4. nshuman

nshuman Commercial User

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I really want the Broughampton swiss army knife of modulation! Also looking forward to the Indie Dream!

5. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    The Utility Knife is in fact a reality. It is a collaboration between Southampton and Broughton Audio. Josh and Hamish worked out the details, I just get to play them :)

It has 4 common modulation effects in a small box (same size as the Ictineo), Chorus,Flanger, Tremolo and Phaser. Each effect has rate, depth and volume.. Each effect has been tuned to give you optimum sound for that effect. Each one is clean and crisp and sounds great Mio.

This one will be ready soon, and there will be more 'BroHampton" pedals in the future. Thanks for all the interest and all the support everyone!!! We really appreciate it..

6. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    NJ
    Love Southampton, great stuff from some really great guys!

20170420_221636.

I am a big phaser fan. I've owned a bunch and still own 6. That sounds really sweet! I guess I will be going for 7 soon :)

7. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Dat purp!!!

blindrabbit, BrentSimons and nshuman like this.
  8. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    This is awesome! Canadian colours too!

BrentSimons, Jonny5bass and nshuman like this.
  9. nshuman

nshuman Commercial User

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I had not thought of that :)

10. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    That Swiss Army Knife thing looks perfect! I want a trem, and a chorus, but I dont have the board space or often enough use to justify individual pedals, and really don't want any more digital doodads, so...yeah, I'll happily throw more moneys at these awesome people.

11. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Yes, that Utility Knife pedal sounds interesting.....I really don't use Tremolo, Phaser or Flanger but I do sometime use Chorus. So I could just use the Chorus but I have 3 others on that same pedal to experiment with. Who knows, I might just get hooked to mod....maybe I'll get one too.

12. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Does the Swiss Army modulator employ analog or digital processing? Anyone?

That clip sounded thick, nostalgic.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I think everything is analog. I'm definitely in for the swiss army knife pedal. I use tremolo on a few songs and it's nice to have a phaser that has a good tone like that. Board space is at a premium so it's perfect.

The Ictineo continues to impress as well. There are a ton of good tones in there if you're willing to flip switches and twiddle knobs.

14. Lovin' my Ictineo that modulator looks interesting.

blindrabbit, loopee and Somnambulance like this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Great thread!!! I have an Ictineo and a v1 fifth gear. Love both of them. The fifth gear is off my board at the moment though. I have a lot of preamps and boost goin on already so when I add the fifth gear it tends to get smooshy. But I hold onto it simply because it rules, I may end up putting back on regardless and no matter what, I can use it for anything in the future. The Ictineo otoh is on my board and that's where it's staying. Amazing pedal!!! I was extremely happy with my tone before I got it. Post Ictineo, I'm in total love with my tone. That pedal is just pure bliss to me.

16. SouthamptonPdls

SouthamptonPdls Commercial User

Nov 23, 2014
    owner of Southampton Pedals
    The Utility Knife will in fact employ the same chip (digital!) that has brought you such effects as the BitQuest, and everything from Mr. Black's line. Even with the genius @Azure Skies helping out, there's no way we could fit the components for four analog modulation effects in a box this size and not charge you a billion dollars.

The reason I was drawn to the Utility Knife concept is that, fundamentally, I don't like modulation effects. They have their place, but it's so infrequent. However, I play as the only guitarist in a cover band, and there are songs you simply need that sound. So at various points in time I've had chorus, phase, trem, all on my board only to be turned on once or twice a night. The Utility Knife is for players that need a high quality sounding modulation but don't need control over a thousand tweakable parameters. Do you like to change the waveform of eight phase stages individually? If so, you'll hate it. If you have recognized the utility (wink wink) of modulation but don't want to dedicate half your board, this might work for you.

Marikk, blindrabbit, loopee and 19 others like this.
  17. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This is what I assumed, but I thought I'd ask anyway. This is right up my alley and sounds cool. But, Canadian boutique builders going digital, isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Okay, so now I need a Utility Knife in addition to the Ictineo.

The 5th Gear remains one of my absolute favorite pedals.

travel board.

19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
  20. Oneud

Oneud Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I love my Fifth Gear v2....great pedal. Definitely looking forward to the Utility Knife

blindrabbit and Somnambulance like this.