1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Club - Part 69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 3, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Sounds like some fun was had today and soon a new project, that's great ICE!
    I say go for it my friend, let Todd lead you along the process and enjoy the creation!

2. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Excellento!!!:bassist::cool:

3. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nice! I also recommend the upgrade to highly figured quilted maple. JPSbassist has something like what your thinking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    WOWZERS! Classic! Outstanding job! Love the color and maple FB with black inlays! :bassist::cool:

5. puremetal33

puremetal33 ...beware the Hammer of Thor

Apr 8, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah the quilt is so purty! Is it a pure cosmetic thing or does it effect tone in your opinion?

6. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    As bad as it is - the only thing keeping me away from buying a Spector is the active part of it. How long do the batteries in these last? Convince me to get one..

7. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think tone wise, solid maple is solid maple. But if (and only if) you can afford it, the quilted maple is a thing of beauty that you will never grow tired of seeing as you spend the rest of your life playing this bass. :bassist:

I have done this for both my builds. What's cool is you get to pick the wood from what's available and if you're not happy with what you see, just wait for the next batch.

8. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    If the cost of batteries and the effort of replacement are of concern, please know this is not an issue. I've been using active basses for over 20 years. I replace the battery(s) every year whether they need it or not. Just remember to unplug the cable when not in use and it will last a long time.

9. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Depends on use like all active basses. I've had Brownie 3+ years now and changed the 9V once. Not an issue.

10. puremetal33

Apr 8, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Very nice. Todd is sending me a quote tomorrow, that will be the deciding factor for me. Sneaking a $5k+ bass past the girlfriend will be no small task as it is :)

Have any of the Spector-philes here ever tried a 3 band pre in one of your basses? Just interested to know, since the stock preamp Stuart offers is only 2 band in both the 9 and 18V versions, as my other basses all have the 3 band and I've enjoyed having the flexibility to boost mids onboard.

11. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    That's sounds like a great build, either color, but a Steelburst would be AMAZING!

12. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow.. thanks. I imagined it like electric paintball guns - draining the battery and always dying when you go to use it. :p

13. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm selling a Euro5LX that has the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. It's a great sounding bass, but personally I never used the mid controls as they are fixed at 400hz or 800hz and I prefer a sweepable midrange control which I have in all my amps. If you want the classic Spector growl, you'll need to get the USA 9v pre.

14. puremetal33

Apr 8, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a fan of anything "silverburst-y". Would love to see a full pic of a steelburst NS-2 so I have a better idea of what it looks like on the whole bass. Steelburst on a quilt top could be pretty epic looking!

15. puremetal33

Apr 8, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Cool, that's what I had planned on getting anyway. Thanks a ton for the info Jeff.

(sorry for the double post!)

16. yeldarb69 (Brad)

yeldarb69 (Brad) Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I loved the blue as well but, everybody who has one of these has that color and i am way more partial to black.It was a difficult decision,i had to have three Lowenbraus and three shots of Jager to bring myself to take the first piece of sandpaper to it.

17. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Nah not at all. Just make sure to unplug it when not in use and you'll get at least a year's use. I change mine every year just to be safe and use them in my wireless unit til they die after that.

18. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    There are options...you can buy a full active only Spector bass and then there's the Spector Coda that have the active/passive switch. I believe in the Spector advertisements they claim batteries can last 300+- hours of playing. One of our members here said he buys 9V batteries from "The Dollar Tree" and last a long time. I recently bought some from there also and seem to be holding up just great, 2 for $1.00, can't beat it! Good luck on selecting a Spector Bass, they're all outstanding basses! :bassist:

19. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I ordered a custom built Forte 5 with an Aguilar OBP 3 pre. Loved it! If you don't see what you want on the options listed all you need to do is ask your dealer for it. There are almost always more options. :)

20. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I've never got a year from a battery in any active bass, my Rex needed a battery every 3 months, that's playing about 2 hours a day, plus band practice & gigs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.