1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Xmatixx

Xmatixx

Aug 4, 2020
    If you have enough basses, you can probably just pretend it was always there.

pbass6811, tbz, Thundar and 4 others like this.
  2. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    I’m always struck by non-players inability to recognize basses and guitars - so many fall into the same general color ranges and shapes, and they just see ‘bass’ ‘guitar’ or even just ‘instrument’. Granted might not apply if you have only bursts and suddenly there’s a green metal flake, but still.

I’m pretty sure that my wife thinks my new red Spector bantam is my red ‘81 Ibanez rs721

Drifter8230, TinIndian and gclark51 like this.
  3. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Me: So this one's got a Spalted Maple top. Fascinating, really. You see these little lines? FUNGUS! The wood is decaying and starts to grow fungus, so it has to be cut at the right time, it's a delicate process. This one's got a Quilted Maple top. Beautiful isn't it? Look at how three-dimensional the shapes look. And this one's got solid Walnut wings. It doesn't have a top like those. And feel the neck. Feel that? So smooth, very comfortable to play. This one here's got a glossy neck, all that paint. Looks great but can feel a tiny bit stickier to play. Rub it. Feel the difference?

The Wife: Uh, sure. When are you going to throw the garbage out?

johndb, The Rage, pbass6811 and 14 others like this.
  4. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Been there. Done that

TinIndian likes this.
  5. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep. And 2 months later when I’m selling it she goes “I thought you liked that gu*tar?”

6. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I've used that before!

jack7265 and Xmatixx like this.
  7. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

As have I :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

jack7265, Xmatixx and TinIndian like this.
  8. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That is so true. I'm sure you've all been there, "is that a Fender!?" The first time it's "no. It's a _______." Then you get the blank look because they have exceeded their knowledge of instruments. From then on you could be carrying a 7000.00 bass and it's "yes it is".

The Rage, AB Nate, tbz and 1 other person like this.
  9. SS904

SS904

May 12, 2018
    Connecticut
    The beauty of a Fender style bass is you can ease them in part by part. I always have something on my bench (which is located in my studio). A body, a neck, hardware, electronic projects. Just starts to grow. So when it ends up on the wall as a completed bass, it doesn't really get questioned! I've become really good at pretending she doesn't notice. To bad you really can't pull that off with a Spector...

Kitsapbass and TinIndian like this.
  10. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    I understand responses from non-musicians, but I can’t tell you how many ‘musicians’ look at me cock-eyed when I mention Spector. ‘Oh, you mean Schecter?!’ :confused::banghead:

leto, The Rage, jack7265 and 7 others like this.
  11. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    I get the same all the time also. Sad.

jack7265, andynj65, dpaul and 2 others like this.
  12. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    I was this person for about 15 years of my musical career.

13. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

Yep...over and over again ;)

The Rage, jack7265, andynj65 and 3 others like this.
  14. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    Most people I know think my Basses are made by Phill Spector

15. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Yep creepy the Spector. They say the same here many times.
    upload_2021-2-20_15-13-17.png

jack7265, andynj65, AB Nate and 2 others like this.
  16. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    Yup! Then they look at you funny because they are SURE you don't know what you're talking about :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    The Rage, andynj65, dpaul and 4 others like this.
  17. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    To be fair to the uninitiated, I had never heard of Spector before taking my Rebop5 off the wall almost 2 decades ago. I just knew that this is what I want my bass to sound like! It was later I learned all the famous musicians who played them.

18. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    If they’re not correcting you about Schector/Spector, they’re asking, “hey man is that a Warwick?” Or “hey man can you introduce me to *insert other band member here*? They were awesome yo!” :rollno:

19. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    This conversation reminds me why, over time, I've learned to appreciate Spector as a brand. It's not the status quo (like Fender) or the standard alternative (like Ibanez), but their bass guitars are solid products that stand on their own performance and reputation. I feel that they're designed to have that signature sound rather than being designed to be the bass that can "sound like a P-Bass" but isn't a Fender. Not everyone is aware of Spector basses for this reason I guess!

TinIndian, jack7265, andynj65 and 5 others like this.
  20. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

This is exactly why I have one. It’s sounds LIKE A SPECTOR. It does itself very well. :D

TinIndian, jack7265, dpaul and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021