1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Couple of questions re the Dimension basses....
    What's this?
    Screenshot_20210220-181856.png

And finally, would you sell a Euro LX4 to get one, if it was currently your only Spector?

2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    That is a string retainer. It keeps the string down to increase the break point at the nut and hold the strings from jumping out.

pbass6811 and lizardking837 like this.
  3. Ok, it didn't look very aesthetic to me. Is that a necessary evil on a multi-scale instrument?
    And is the nut brass or plastic?

Eddie LeBlanc likes this.
  4. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    Oooo I don't know about selling a Euro to get one, I wouldn't. I'd trade my Rebop and offer some cash, but I'd keep my Euro. That's just me, though :).

bste9, TinIndian, BrentSimons and 2 others like this.
  5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Looks pretty awful to me. And is not necessary if the headstock is tilted on the bass. They are used on Fenders and those type of headstocks.

I don't know if it is necessary on a Multi-Scale.

dpaul likes this.
  6. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    Definitely not a brass but and whatever it is i’ll Be honest it looks pretty terribly cut, like dang, that looks ugly and that retainer doesn’t help it at all. You’d think they would design the retainers so they’d serve to hold the strings both down AND perfectly perpendicular to the nut so the strings aren’t pulling in either direction in the slots but rather the retainers themselves. It’s something you don’t really have to worry about with the brass ones cuz they’re so solid but with plastic ones they will wear over time and will probably need replaced down the road if you play a lot ... plus I’m of the opinion that a brass nut is an integral part of a Spector; I wouldn’t a Spector without one.

Eddie LeBlanc, dpaul and marsquake like this.
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It’s ultimately your call on selling your Euro 4LX. Personally, I wouldn’t.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'd definitely keep the Euro.

9. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I've had a few basses with string retainers like that and to me their pretty much a PITA when you go to restring. Then again, I have a pretty particular process I go by when I'm restringing my basses. It's made all that much easier with Spector's quick release bridge. I'd feel like I was going backwards.

Arthur U. Poon and FunkHead like this.
  10. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    Man I need to stop typing lengthy responses on my phone, because when I reread my posts and see all my horrible grammatical and spelling errors it's embarrassing hahaha :roflmao:

11. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    it looks very much like an after thought.
    Not necessary on multi scale but apparently it is on this head stock.

the dingwall combustion’s use one as well. A great many basses have one or another depending on the headstock design.

pbass6811 and Eddie LeBlanc like this.
  12. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    A few little items on the Dimensions could have been done, to make it a really remarkable bass. Shame. Could have been done. Attention to detail has been a long standing Spector tradition.

13. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    Dingwall has proven that an import multiscale can be a legitimate professional instrument. The Dimension would’ve benefited from a truly angled back headstock to eliminate the string tree and more robust hardware, but that would add to the final selling price. It may not seen like much, but when you multiply a small amount over thousands of units built, it adds up.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Keep the Euro. In my opinion, the Euro LX is basically the classic Spector sound. The Dimension does not have that classic sound. It is different. That's not a knock, but I'd only think you should make that switch if you were really tuning way down for a band and it would make a big difference for you. Maybe if you don't like the classic sound as much could be a factor. Secondly, it is nice, but you are still ditching a Czech made bass for an Indonesian one.My point is don't make the switch for the shiny new thing. There has to be a reason for it.

15. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I agree. That said, a USA version could have the added quality given how much one wants to spend.
    I’d be inclined to get a US model if the shop can keep the QC up.

16. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yup. I usually just say "Yeah. That's what I meant...". Once they think it's a Schecter, it becomes less appealing for someone to try and make off with it.

Totally agree with you guys, that looks pretty awful. Definitely not necessary on a tilt back headstock and, if the designer is inventive and creative enough(i.e. Sheldon Dingwall), you can come up with something that eliminates the need for a string retainer AND still have a flat headstock.

It's hard to see at this angle, but...
    thumbnail-113.jpeg
    On the Canadian Afterburners, the headstock is flat. In order to avoid having a string retainer, Sheldon came up with the idea to countersink the tuning machines so they sit lower.

It's a little easier to see in this pic;
    92052390_221122085777754_757637750047375360_n.jpg

I really prefer the look of a tilt back headstock. At this moment, my Forte 5 is the only bass I have that has a tilt back headstock.

Speaking of Forte 5's, I found an ancient pic of my original Forte 5, along with a Spalted Maple Euro 4 I had!
    P3110452.jpg
    P2090443.jpg
    I can't remember if this was a NAMM show bass, but I do remember that I had to wait until after NAMM to get it. And it came in a gig bag.

Sorry for the long post, folks. This is my routine after gigs, come home, unwind on the interwebz, take a shower(so the wife doesn't kick me out of bed), pass out. I'm now at the "take a shower" stage...;-)

17. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Good-looking modulus you got there.

pbass6811 and BrentSimons like this.
  18. Thanks for all the replies in regards to my Dimension questions. I have to admit, when I was looking at these basses on Reverb yesterday, I saw that thing in a close-up picture and thought it was maybe a cheap knock-off bass due to the crappy looking string retainer and the awful plastic looking nut.

I'm relatively new to Spector, as I only own one Euro4LX. But it is hands-down the nicest bass I've ever had my hands on, let alone owned. I was thinking based on price, that the Dimensions were similar to the Euro basses. The Dimension I saw in photos didn't compare with my Euro, hence my inquiry. I'll be keeping my Euro. I may just put the money into a HAZ now. Maybe some day down the road, the used market on the Dimensions will be there and I can pick one up when I wouldn't need to sell my current Spector. Thanks!

andynj65, bste9, gclark51 and 5 others like this.
  19. What's your opinion on the new US 9V Haz with the dip switches vs. classic 9v HAZ? Are they comparable enough?

The Rage and BrentSimons like this.
  20. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    The last sentence really is true. On so many levels.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021