Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Legend Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Feb 17, 2005.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just wanted to get some opionons on these basses, was looking into a 4 or 5 string legend bubinga top bass.

main stuff im lookin for

1. Nice tight E and B strings
    2. Solid feel
    3. Is it a curved back bass or flat
    4. Good range of sounds

thanks in advance
    Zac

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    It could have been just the one I tried but I played one and I was extremely disappointed with the B string. :(

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Hang tight a little bit until Josh (Curry) gets into the forum, he's probably your best bet for solid Spector info. Or PM him.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I was going to post the same question about a 4, but Pasdabeer beat me to it... I'm looking to grab one in amberburst here in a few weeks.

I do know that they have the curved/carved body, EMG/HZ pickups and EMG preamp-unless they've changed.

Any info will help me in deciding. :hyper:

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, well, I don't own the Legend series, but two NS2000/5s. Here's what I can tell you about those, if it'll help ya any:
    The B string on both of mine is pretty dang good - whether it be the 35" scale, brass nut or insane bridge or NT construction I don't know, but it's awesome, and it balances very well with all the other strings.
    The feel of mine is very solid - neither of them feel like they have a weak component anywhere, nor do they feel like it'll fall apart from use, a draw back from this though is a semi-heavy bass. I don't know how much mine weigh, but I know it's heavier than my ESP P/J, my old Washburn and my old OLP.
    #3 I can't answer, though I'm sure someone will be able to.
    My NS's both have a wonderful range of sound, even with a totally flat EQ at the amp, and just tweaking between pickups or fiddling with the 2 band on board.
    Well, I hope this helped in some way. I know it's not a Legend, but I'm pretty sure the Legends replaced the NSes from Korea, so a lot should be the same.

Ray

Edit: Just buy it, if ya don't like I, I may know someone who would take it off your hands ;)

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    im thinkin about it, gotta see the finances in a month or so.....the bubinga toped 4 string looks mighty fine

7. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    To confirm about the curved body, here's a quote from Spector's website on the Legend series:

Cool!

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The legends are nice, real nice. It may be hit or miss on the B's. I have a Legend 6 and it sounds really good. The B on the Q series I had for 2 weeks did nothing for me. It's a curved body, with a mid sweep EMG EQ. For the money they have to be one of the best basses out there.

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Thanks firk!

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I was curious as to when you'd chime in...
    Thanks to Spector I'm saving my pennies and nickles for a Euro 5 LX. mmmmm

Ray

11. You won't be disappointed!

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Is it the EMG BQC circuit, or an OEM model of some kind?

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Mine has a really tight punchy B, good tones (pretty varied) curved back, my only beef is the finish seems to be weak. It scratches REALLY easily, it got like a gash on the back (buckle rash??) and a little chip on the front and has gotten ALOT less wear than my Carvin.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, I just need to get funds for one now...

Ray

15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    It's a special circuit EMG made for Spector based on the B30EQ circuit.

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i think im gonna go with the legend 4 string bubinga top, when the funds come in that is, thanks guys!

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Pasda, if you get yours before me, let me know how everything is on it. I'm really interested in a Legend 4.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Are the mids sweepable?

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Nope.

20. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Anybody tried one of these yet? :bassist: