1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe 2019

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LkS, Jan 24, 2019.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Great line up . The first run were excellent

CLMSHQ, staurosjohn and dalkowski like this.
  2. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    There are a few differences between the original run and the new 2019.
    The original run was made in China - the 2019's are made in Indonesia.
    The original had basswood bodies - the 2019's are poplar.
    The original had a high-mass bridge with brass saddles - the 2019's have the vintage fender bridge with threaded steel saddles.

I personally like the new bridge. In a way that you can upgrade it now much more easily to a BadAss or Gotoh or Hipshot :) The original run with the high-mass bridge was using wider screw-hole spacing than standard.

3. Is the Classic Vibe 70's pickup placement period correct? If so I would love to get one!

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I wonder if these will be the same quality as they're now being made in a different factory. Is it just rebranded Vintage Modified?

Too bad P bass got only 2 colors.. Daphne blue would have been cool like 60s Jazz got it.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Looks like a winning lineup.

I take it China is now out of Fender’s manufacturing loop? Too bad. I have three MIC Squiers and the build quality is superb on all three. I had one Indonesian VM Squier. And while the quality was still very good, I thought the Chinese build was better than the minor price differential between a VM and CV would have led you to believe.

geof_, coolhang, Mr_O'B and 8 others like this.
  7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Agreed. That's why I'm skeptical that these might just be rebranded VM and their quality on par with VM series and not CV.

8. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Well, if the serial numbers on the back are any indication, it looks like Cort is making both series.

That said, my 70s VM was a top notch instrument, and I miss it to this day.

MCF, RumbleMan3, soulman969 and 3 others like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well…the CVs were just a little too good for the price weren’t they? :laugh:

For me the Chinese CVs kinda put the whole MIM product line into question - with the question being: Is having ‘Fender’ instead of ‘Squier’ on the headstock worth an additional $500?

geof_, saurion, Catbuster and 16 others like this.
  10. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Come to think of it, the tuning machines on the VMs are of higher quality than the Classic Vibes. If I ever get a lefty Classic Vibe, I'd swap them out for some Ping-well's or perhaps get some Gotohs for a good price.

I must say Fender has been treating us lefties recently. Hope it continues :D

Heavy Blue and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  11. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Affordable 70’s spacing??? Take my money now.

wmmj, jackn1202 and InstantEctobass like this.
  12. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    These look like a fine blend of the old CV and VM lineups. Threaded saddles, bone nuts, no more chrome-dome knobs on the 70's Jazz, proper single-pickup Precision, model, lefty versions, new colors. People might complain about Fender rehashing the same old same old, but these look like good new basses.

reddog, RumbleMan3, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Cort, like any other big company in Asia, can make things on a variety of different quality levels. Just like manufacturing here, you get the product quality you pay to build. And Asia can build world class or it can build junk depending on what your budget is.

The big difference is your dollars go further (currently) in Asia due to lower standards in things like labor conditions, wages, waste management, pollution control, etc.

This all comes at a price since nothing is truely free. But as of now the West isn’t paying for any of those costs. The Asian manufacturing nations are absorbing them in order to boost their economies. So the manufacturing “savings” are largely illusory. It’s more like some of the manufacturing costs are being subsidized and paid for by lower standards of living in those countries building our stuff.

But that’s economics for you. “You pays your money and you takes your choice.” ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    MCF, reddog, diverse379 and 13 others like this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if those fretboards were ebony or something nicer than what looks like dry dirt I'd be interested but maybe they'll have plenty of maple and ? to choose from. hoping there's a PJ or '68 Tele in the mix.

Swingin and ole Jason like this.
  15. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Here is a link to an internationally accessible website with similar information than the original OP: NAMM 2019 - Squier Refreshes Classic Vibe Series! | GAK.co.uk

P.S.
    I did this because when you click the link in the original OP and, if you are not in the US, the Fender site redirects to the international version of their site that has not been updated yet.

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think this one will be popular at $379.00:

CV 70s 5

0374550521_gtr_frt_001_rr.

17. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I see that Squier is going more traditional color wise. Most of the basses are sunburst with red tort pickguards. They do look like classics.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both CV and VM has nice and stable tuning mechine. But I prefer the nickel coat ,longer shaft and more accurate vintage shape elephant tuning peg on CV.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Fender has built its enviable place in the music world on “same old same old” spiced up with some new colors every so often.

Why mess with a product formula that’s had a 60+ year winning streak with no end in sight?

They already tried that with the Dimension. And just look what that got them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Arnel M., ppiluk and soulman969 like this.