1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier CV P Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PDK, May 3, 2010.

1. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    For those of you that have the Squier CV P bass what do you think of it compared to other P basses. I have searched this and found a few comparisons but I wanted a more current annalysis. The P bass is not my main bass of choice for everything but I feel I need it in my arsenal for certain sounds I only feel it will do. I love the 62 Fender RI but I can't quite grasp spending that much on it since it's not a primary instrument.

2. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    When I bought my CV P I walked into the store with all intentions on buying a 62 RI, but after trying the Squier I couldn't justify spending that much money on a bass that was not that much better than the CV. IMHO the feel was better on the Squier, though the 62RI did sound better.

3. They had one of the fiesta red's at my local GC this weekend. it was meh next to the 80's Roadstar they had in there. The roadstar needed a side of potato's it had so much beef....

yeah yeah I know.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Those roadstars are built like a tank and weigh about as much as one:meh: I had a CV for a short time and I could get a decent vintage tone out of it although it had the stock roundwounds on it. I know with a set of chromes i would of got my tone ......creamy but punchy out of it. I had to return it to fund a one chance bass but i liked it allot.

5. Sorry... actually it was a Blazer... but either way. I am in love with those Ibanez Super P-4 pickups...

6. I have pretty much a 62 reissue, all 62 parts and neck but warmoth body and i have a CV, my CV is not stock it has quarter pounders in it. I was really into the CV at first but now i never play it. The bass is not bad but its not as good as my 62, would i buy another CV if this one where lost? probably not because i never use mine anymore, but they are well worth the price.

7. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    Thanks for everyone's input. If I get one it will be the fiesta red model. I would probably swap the pu out for Fenders 60's. I primarily want it for old R&B sounds. I'm mainly a Jazz bass guy but for some things it's nice to have a P.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well my one P bass i put the CV up against is a modded MIM with 62 RI and the MIM was warmer ,vintagy sounding. Again, the CV bass had rounds on it so it was harder to tell but i feel a warm 60's tone is there.

9. make sure you replace the pots & cap too.

10. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Mar 6, 2004

11. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    What's up with Ed rockin' the mustache and no beard look?

12. This was my experience as well. Except I was going to buy an MIA Standard P. Liked everything about the CV better.

13. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I went into GC today for a speaker cable. Left putting a down payment on a CV P. My how it sounded! Soon I will have something to take to the buckets-of-blood I frequently play.

Used too, and I got a super awesome deal because it had been on the rack for more than 3 months. I haven't bought a bass at a guitar store since 1997.

No pics yet, but here it is on the wall...

ry%3D400.

I will have two--this CV, and a VM P that was professionally defretted, all for under 300 TOTAL. Geeking.

14. ^ Awesome! :D

15. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    same here. nice build and looked cool as he11, but at $349 plus tax, that puppy would be approaching $400 for a squier and that ain't gonna happen (in my world)...

16. You can usually talk them down about 15% for in stock items. I just got my Fiesta Red CV 60's P for just under $300 before tax.

John

17. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    did GC change their policy? last i heard from them was 'no dickering'...

18. I've been able to talk them down on some things, especially if they only have a floor model.

19. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    well, that's some good news. i'll have to confront them about it. i hadn't been in there in the past several months, even though i live five minutes from one...