Squier Deluxe Dimension Bass (IV & V string)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hank Scorpio, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I saw in another thread that Squier were bringing in Dimension basses, to be announced at NAMM, and my initial hope was that they'd be in line with the Am. Std setup (two humbuckers, passive) - it appears that these are one humbucker, 3 band EQ, now popping up on some UK sites. Definitely competing with the Sterling Ray4 line, IMO.

My initial thoughts are concern about the preamp, especially at this price. I'm a little disappointed they don't have the MM-style truss rod wheel like most other Dimensions, but otherwise they look the part. Oddly for a Squier, the specs say it's a 9.5"-14" (presumably compound) radius - however, it also says they're passive, so worth taking with a pinch of salt.

Can get the IVs and Vs in the same colours - sunburst/rosewood, black/maple, and crimson red transparent/maple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've not found any info on them so far, but I've seen that they're also due to announce what look like MIM passive Dimensions, which may be much more up my street, especially if they've got two pickups.

It seems that they're investing heavily in these models, being able to get Dimensions in the Squier Deluxe, Modern Player, MIM, MIM Deluxe, MIA Std and MIA Deluxe from this year. You can't even get a Precision in all of those models. I'm all for Fender trying to promote something different, though.

Thoughts?

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-bass-guitar-3-colour-sunburst
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-bass-guitar-black
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-bass-guitar-crimson-red-transparent
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-v-bass-guitar-3-colour-sunburst
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-v-bass-guitar-black
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-deluxe-dimension-bass-v-bass-guitar-crimson-red-transparent

Samifon and Lethgar like this.
  2. Stimpy

Stimpy

Nov 17, 2012
    Manchester
    That bridge is the same High-Mass/Saddles as on the Modern Player Jazz (The other deluxes have basic saddles)

I like it more without the Fender Stamp on. Less distracting.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Looks like they are repackaging the Modern Player Dimensions.

walldaja and Lethgar like this.
  4. Lethgar

Lethgar

Jan 22, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Too bad it has to be non standard pickup shape. Hopefully the guys at Nordstrand will whip something up for these. Reallyyy tempted to grab one of the Vs as a knock around for the bar band.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. I think this is intended to be the 'standard' Dimension pickup shape, which makes me agree with Bobster that these could be replacing the MP range, with the triplebuckers.

If these basses catch on as much as Fender are expecting them to, I'd be very surprised if 3rd party pup replacements aren't available in the near future

6. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Cool - love the current era Squier bang for buck and this could be a great way to try out the new design on the cheap (do think I would lean toward the passive 2HB version though..)

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I'm in! The only drawback for me with the new Squier Dimension model is the absence of a "natural" finish. The tradeoff of not getting the neck-mounted adjuster wheel and living with a painted finish for me will be more than offset by the price. I'm doubly pleased that it has the same pickup as the Deluxe Dimension IV rather than the Triplebucker. Another curious thing...is it just my eyes, or does the black model look like its maple board has a "toasted" tint? The red one seems to be the bright white maple, and annoyingly, the 'burst finish has a "rosewood" board. Why the inconsistency? My ultimate "dream" Squier Dimension would be achieved by buying a red and burst model, swapping necks, and selling the red, RW model. This is the same quandary that has kept me from buying a Ray4. I can't get the color I want with a maple board, and would have to buy TWO of them to achieve it. Still....at $299 or $329 street, I'm not complaining.

8. I am surprised at this new release from Squier...

I wonder if this will cause the market value of the Modern Player Dimension with the Triple Bucker to plummet.. or be discontinued all together..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  9. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    After looking at the new Fender site, it would appear that ALL the Modern Player line is on the chopping block, with just a few models appearing in the "Limited" section. I'm guessing that the Modern Player Dimension is not long for the world. Let the massive discounts BEGIN!

10. Daz JP

Daz JP

Aug 12, 2014
    That's a shame; I have a Modern Player Tele and it's amazing. Was considering an MP Jazz V too...

Pyrat likes this.
  11. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Ugh. No lefties.

Any idea from where these babies are made? Fingers crossed they're Indonesian...

12. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone managed to find anything about body woods? I would guess it's going to be basswood. and I wonder if there's a routing templates available for the pickup it would be nice to have a two pickup version...

Bob

13. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Jeez, I hadn't really looked at these. The MP looks like an attempt to re-invent the Ibanez ATK; the whole model is very MM -esque. Too bad they didn't explore any switching options - one of the best parts of multi-coil pups IMO.

DOH! I see now the Am deluxe does have a switch. ne'rmind.

14. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
  15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wonder if Squier Dimensions will be sold in the USA? They would seem to undercut the Mexican Fender Dimensions.

16. You can get most major Fender models in both the Squier & MIM ranges - my assumption is they're really pushing the Dimensions, and want it in as many price ranges as possible. Maybe the plan is to get them into players hands and get the word out about them.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds good to me!

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  18. Yup - the passive Am Std & MIM models are definitely appealing to me!

19. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Leftys, we need lefties, there aren't any lephties.

70s Custom Mod likes this.
  20. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    I'm thinking I'll probably get the five string in black as soon as they hit the market. They're just too gorgeous, and if they're using the same pickups as the deluxe, it's really an incredible bang for your buck.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021