Squier "Perfect Fit Replacement Parts" Mega thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Hi,
    Can anyone help. Tuners for the bass below;

Indonesian Made Squier Precision Bass Special Standard (made in 2009)- yep it's a mouthful!
    I've been through this excellent thread, but I'm not sure I've picked up the definitive answer to the following question.

I see Hipshot HB1's and HB7's mentioned as being replacements for the originals - but I'm not clear whether they are fully compatible with the Standard Series (says Precision, but the neck is a Jazz and it's a PJ).

The HB 7 Certainly looks like a good match.

So if anyone has done this on THIS ironically named "Standard" bass I'd really appreciate some advice.
    Other tuners that fit also welcome!

Cheers!

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The HB7's should fit fine. I've installed Hipshot BT7 Drop-D tuners onto Squier Standards before. They have the same hole pattern as the HB7's.

And yes, the irony of the Standard Series being the most difficult to find drop-in replacement parts for is extremely well-known to anyone who's tried to modify and/or upgrade them. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I don't know how many times I've wanted to point at those inanimate objects and scream, "You're lucky you're so well made, you sonava&$#@*!! :mad:"

If, however, one were to install a set of Hipshot Ultralites, any doubt about tapping a new screw hole would be gone. All they'd have to do is make sure they're properly lined up before screwing them down.

3. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Are there any other brands of black tuners that will fit a VM? My tuners work fine just want black to go with the bridge I'll be installing.
    Not trying to spend $25+ /pc

4. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The search function isn't working properly on my phone.
    Have ppl had luck with gotoh gb707 tuners?

5. Malak the Mad

What’s the diameter of the 707’s string posts?

6. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    @Malak the Mad
    Ppl have recommended them to me, but i have not seen pics of them on a Squier VM.

upload_2021-4-26_13-52-4.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  7. Malak the Mad

I love that “bat wing” look, but I can’t use them on my Squier necks, nor some/all of my Fenders. The posts are 11mm, but standard Fender tuners are 14mm.

8. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    So these wont work on the VMs?
    Yeah i do like the "modern" look tuners

9. Malak the Mad

Not as they are, but I’m working on a simple adapter that, if successful, should let you mount those tuners. If you already have the 707’s, do you wanna be a crash test dummy test subject? :angel:

10. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    i dont have them yet. They are on back order at the shop im getting them at.
    but i could def test em

Malak the Mad likes this.
  11. Malak the Mad

Let me know when they come in, then we'll go from there. ;)

12. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Will do

13. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    @Malak the Mad they are still on back order from the place i was going to order them. I ended up placing an order for Gotoh GB2s. Guess ill keep the vintage tuner look, as long as they are black and of quality. Went ahead and ordered a kickass bridge and wanted to change tuners at same time so could wait for the other gotohs

On another note. For those that have upgraded the pots in your VM Jazz. Are there any issues when switching over to 500k pots? Size wise? i heard that the control panels holes are too small due to the cheaper pots used by squier. I plan to install some DiMarzio Model J and wanted to replace pots and jack at the same time.
    Also if anyone happens to have some Model Js they are looking to sell, hit me up.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. Malak the Mad

No worries. My work space is currently being renovated, so I don't really have any room to work on projects anyway. Thanks for getting back to me, though. :thumbsup:

Take a look at the original control plate. It might be like the one pictured down below, with a 9.2mm for the output jack, but 8.2mm holes for mini-pots. If so, it's quite possible you could find some 500k mini-pots that will fit the existing plate, but here's something to consider;

Which would be the better bang for your buck, three 500k mini-pots that may or may not be of inferior quality (does CTS or some other reputable manufacturer even make 500k mini-pots?) or three standard-sized, good quality pots and a new Fender spec'd control plate?

s-l1600.jpg

15. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the info. I'm just in the planning stage as of now. I'll have to pop off the cp and see what's going on there. With my luck it's going to be the minipots. Any recommendations on an inexpensive black cp? I def hear what your saying and would rather go with standard size pots

16. Malak the Mad

If I were hunting for one (again! :rolleyes:) , I'd check out eBay, but I'd also be sure to select "North America" to avoid ordering something from halfway around the world. Also, I always compare the pics AND any listed specs to make sure they match up.

17. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    Size isn't everything!
    CTS makes mini pots as well as regular pots; the shaft sizes are the same on both - 3/8".
    But those are US pots, and Squiers normally use metric pots, which have a smaller M8 shaft. It follows that Squier control plates have smaller holes.
    Whether or not you need mini pots is going to depend on how much room has been routed out under the control plate - it's not related to the size of the control panel holes.

18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    There are standard square heel fender necks, and standard rounded heel fender necks. A Fender neck will fit.

"Standard" tuners will fit. Anything else you buy will be non-standard, and require you to fit it.

Pickguards, there are so many different versions of fender P and J basses. Just as there are many various versions of Squier P and J basses. You have to find the one for your model.

Bridge: bridges are like necks, 5 hole standard is the bridge size.

19. leonvdb

leonvdb

Jul 19, 2013
    Remember also, if you are going to keep your existing Squier scratch plate and buy a new control plate (which more often than not is based on the Fender shape), that the tip of the control plate is of a slightly different shape. Fender more rounded whilst the Squier is more pointed. Therefore they won’t fit together. Sorry if this has been pointed out already.

MartinB and Malak the Mad like this.
  20. MountainDew

MountainDew

Mar 11, 2021
    Houston, TX
    So if i keep the stock plate regardless of mini or regular ill have to drill out the holes on the plate right?
    Think im going to go that route.
    Also can you guys recommend a good quality replacement control knobs.
    In this style. Not fond on the chrome knobs. There are alot on amazon to choose from but some seem really cheaply made compared to others.

Edit- How much do ppl usually sell the duncan designed J pups for? Plan to change those out soon. Seems like there are ppl that like these.
    0991370000_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021