Squier "Perfect Fit Replacement Parts" Mega thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Harris74

Harris74

Sep 27, 2012
    Italy
    Hi to all:)

I have a 2018 Affinity Precision PJ bass and i want to replace the machine heads with others black. Wilkinson WJBL200-BK will fit?

Thank you:)

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Bought a VM Precision from Reverb last week. Already had the EMG GZR PJ pickups and EMG pots installed. J volume pot was bad but got a partial refund and have another pot on the way. Was thinking about swapping the tuners. I have some that I took off of a Highway One Jazz but they look really close to what’s already on the Squier. I believe the Highway One tuners were MIM. Anyone know if Squier VM/MIM use the same tuners ? The bass is currently with Mo at Nordstrand getting the fret ends cleaned up and a setup. The GZR’s sounded great in the little time I played it. Should be getting it back next week.
    Pics here-

FFFH242 and Robert Darby like this.
  3. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    I THINK they are the same, but dont quote me on it. If it were mine, I would leave the tuners, unless I had a significant upgrade, like ultra-lights.

Cantstandsya likes this.
  4. Harris74

Harris74

Sep 27, 2012
    Italy
    Hi to all,
    i try the Wilkinson WJBL200 and they don't fit because the tuners holes are too close and need to slightly file the tuners plates.

I have another question:D:
    I want to replace the bridge J pickup and i would like to install a Duncan STK-J2b or Quarter Pound. They will fit?

Thank you :)

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Moody Tuner likes this.
  6. velvet_man

velvet_man

Jun 4, 2019
    Hi, I just signed up to TalkBass to ask about this. I recently picked up a cheap Squier Affinity P-Bass with a stripped truss rod nut. He sold it for next to nothing because of that, and I figured it should be easy enough to get the old one out and put a new nut in. But I can't find any information anywhere about what size or kind of nut I need for this bass (or where to buy one for that matter). I tried searching this thread for truss rod nut info, but the quoted post is all that came up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

7. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    As I recall, I emailed Fender support with a description of the issue and the serial number. They responded pretty quickly with the part number and a link to order it.

velvet_man likes this.
  8. When I replaced the truss rod nut on my Squier VM, I just searched online and found a “Squier Bass Truss Rod Nut by Fender” at guitarbass.ca for $6. The site doesn’t appear to be around anymore though.
    It's quite likely that it would fit the Affinity model, but I can’t say for certain.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    velvet_man likes this.
  9. velvet_man

velvet_man

Jun 4, 2019
    Thank you for the reply! I'll try that. Hopefully they'll be able to figure it without the serial number. The guy I bought it from sanded the serial off the back of the headstock and sanded the "Affinity" decal off the front of the headstock. At first glance, it looks normal, but when you get the light just right you can see where it was clearly sanded.

10. velvet_man

velvet_man

Jun 4, 2019
    One final update for anyone else like me who stumbles in here from a google search. After no one could tell me what size truss rod nut I'd need, I took the bass to my local music shop. He took the nut out, put it in a vice, and cut across the top of it with a hacksaw. Presto-Chango, it works with a slotted screw driver now! So problem solved.

It ended up being really good that I took it to him, too. While he was looking at it, he noticed the nut wasn't cut right, so he filed it down and did a proper setup, intonation, the whole 9, all while I watched. Only took about 20 minutes. And now it feels like a whole new bass for less than $80 CND all in. He even said he could gig with it, which is saying something considering he's an experienced bass player with a gold record under his belt.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  11. It's been a while since I've posted in TB.
    I have a ~2010 VM Jazz (maple/maple) unmarked pickups (i.e. Not "Duncan Design")

I dont have the bass with me right now, but I believe it's the later factory.

Could someone point me in the right direction for an as-close-to-drop-in D-tuner?

12. I installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 quarter pounder in my 2013 Squire CV Precision a couple of weeks ago. Fit like a glove and huge improvement in output and tone. I'm going to have to post a photo of it one day.

TD

Zoobiedood likes this.
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The VM's should be wearing the same stock tuners as Mexican-made Fenders, so a BT7 should do the trick. Just to be sure, check what you've got against the website pics.

14. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Howdy, I’ve dug deep into this thread in search of answers to my search for drop in machine head upgrades for my affinity P/J. I can’t find a hint here or elsewhere!

I’ll also be throwing on an AM std string through bridge/ferrules, Swapping the loaded PG from the MIA PJ below (with Aguilar PJ set) onto this bass as well. Trying to bake is as close as possible to my MIA PJ. Should make for a fine backup as I only paid $100 for it... with my favourite strings on it at-boot!

So... is there a drop in machine head for these affinity basses or should I just give up now!? :banghead:

FBD9535D-6580-4045-98AF-FF12359EA5DF.jpeg
    17AA9411-D414-4E15-B761-055AA120FBBA.jpeg

15. There's 2 Affinity Basses... a Cort..... and I don't have the other name at the mo. If you can wait for a day or so.... I'll look it up in my parts catalog.

I own a Cort, and standard Fender tuning machines fit correctly.

Afterthought... I THINK Reliant is the other name... but I could be wrong.

16. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Any luck out there!?:woot:

17. snowblinder

snowblinder

Jun 16, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have a 2019 Classic Vibe 70's Jazz Bass. I'm thinking about modding it to have a P pickup in the middle position, because I have a Dimarzio DP126 PJ set sitting around unused and those are my favorite sounding pickups. I have the exact set in an Affinity PJ and it sounds amazing. Anyway, I notice that Warmoth sells replacement J pickguards that are cut for a P pickup. Does anyone know if those screw holes line up with the screw holes on the current CV body, or will I have to drill new ones?

Malak the Mad likes this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If the new CV's line up with MIM Jazzes, I would suggest looking into a Reggie Hamilton-sig Jazz pickguard from WD Music.
    Quick story…I had a Jazz routed into a P/J using a Fender Blacktop Jazz guard as a template. It was fine and all, but then I read about the extensive experimentation that went into finding the Reggie-sig's pickup placement. So, I got one from WD Music, had more routing done and BOOM!…the sounds it yielded was even better.

There are two additional benefits. First off, I can have them create me a new one using any of their vast selection of materials any time I want. Secondly, since the Reggie-sig has the same screw pattern as the MIM Standard Jazzes, I can switch back to a J/J config anytime I want using any MIM-compatible guard I like.

Before…
    RnWLnqc.jpg

…second time "under the knife"
    tjNwa3C.jpg

…and after!
    TUNGXUz.jpg

TakeABreak likes this.
  19. I just wanted to post an update on this topic above.
    Through my parts-swapping endeavors between the VM and Affinity Series Jazz V’s.
    I wound up swapping the VM neck and WD bridge from the VM onto an Affinity body.
    I have found that the WD high-mass bridge I purchased for the VM (above) has the same screw pattern as the OEM Affinity Jazz V bridge with only one small caveat. Since the Affinity Jazz V bridge is a 5-hole and the WD bridge is a 6-hole, you must drill the 6th hole into the body on the far G-side...if you want. If you are uneasy about drilling the hole, you can just forget about it and use just the 5 original holes.
    Link to the bridge on WD site:
    WD® Standard 5 String Bass Bridge

it’s cheaper on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...ridge+18mm&dpPl=1&dpID=41EjExlowxL&ref=plSrch

and even cheaper than that on eBay
    NEW - Heavy-Duty 5-String Bass Bridge, #GEB2015 C - CHROME 820454004306 | eBay

Sunburst Affinity Jazz V body with VM Jazz V neck and WD bridge (pick guard is “Vintage Tort” from China, less than $10 shipped to my door, took about 2 weeks)

D161F2A2-1897-4863-B5B7-A46721A99FFE.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Malak the Mad likes this.
  20. Here is another fitment discovery...

I purchased a Warmoth Standard Jazz V Fretless neck (with in-line tuners) that is made to fit MIM basses. Roasted maple shaft with ebony fingerboard.
    It fit like a glove onto the VM Jazz V body. Very tight and straight.
    I laid the body down flat and lowered the neck down into the pocket from above.
    I only needed to route a truss rod access channel in the body as it is at the heel rather than at the headstock.
    0F24ACBD-38A7-47A9-99AD-22FE33A6857C.jpeg
    3250169B-0F00-4E5D-922F-7C844DD60A6C.jpeg
    140120F8-2978-461A-B5B1-234CAF51F220.jpeg
    2529B3CF-E635-455F-94E6-6A32BCC27FFA.jpeg

also seen is the black Hipshot KickAss bridge with Squier screw pattern.

Clifford Lee and Malak the Mad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021