1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting out advide/direction

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by lukeb, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lukeb

lukeb

Sep 14, 2008
    Hey David,

I've been playing bass for around 6 months. Now I'd like some hints/direction over a variety of things. Sorry to be so vague. I like to play funk stuff, along with minutemen, gang of four, XTC style bass. i'd like to know the fundamental differences between the P bass and the J bass. I currently play a jazz bass and am looking to get a Fender, are the japanese of a decent pedigree? Also wondering what sorta strings/setup I should use. Tips for developing my slaping/fingerstyle technique. What's good in the way of amplification, as I've only really been using my combo amp in the bedroom. If you could help me out that would mean the word to me!

Luke

2. Hi Luke, I'm sure there are many here whom have their opinions on what is good and what is bad. In the end, it's different for everybody so I think you should go with what works with you. There are many that you can ask about the specific differences between the basses you mention. I try to keep my forum limited to bass playing and not the equipment. Hope you get plenty of responses from others. Good luck.

Dave

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Mr. Overthrow, maybe you can help the newbie with this part of his post. Possibly was overlooked.