Steinberger Brochure, NAMM 1988 (PDF)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Winslow, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    The recent thread on old catalogs and magazines reminded me that I have one in particular I've held on to, and won't be sending to the recycle bin. I've always had an admiration for inventors and innovators, and when Ned Steinberger's line of instruments emerged, he quickly joined my mental list of people I thought were cool for breaking with convention, and trying something new and different.

I haven't the foggiest idea what I was doing at the NAMM show when it came to Atlanta in 1988 (some of the grey cells from that time are hard to access), but somehow, I wound up going, and happened upon the Steinberger booth. Sitting over in the corner, quietly unassuming, was none other than Ned himself. I picked up one of their glossy brochures, made my way over to him, and introduced myself. He couldn't have been more gracious, and chatted with me for a few minutes about his line of instruments. At that point in my life, I was nowhere near being able to afford one of those sleek basses I so coveted, but I figured an autograph would be nice to have in the meantime, so I asked Ned to sign my brochure. He seemed a little bemused at a request more typically made of the famous folks who played his products, but he kindly obliged, with a nice inscription.

[​IMG]

I thought some fellow TB'ers (particularly in the Steinberger and Headless clubs) might enjoy seeing the brochure in its entirety, so I've scanned it into a PDF, and attached it below.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
    JES, Rugmaster, teh-slb and 19 others like this.
  2. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    The XM bass was the innovation that Gibson gaves to the Steinberger to colmate the differences between production/selling/request.
    The Body Spirit that was made after, i Think, was the best bass ever made for ergonomic/sound/portability....

sonojono likes this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Probably the bass I regret selling most was my XL2.
    It was my first seriously expensive bass...can't remember exactly what I paid in 1985, but it certainly took a couple of month's gig money.
    It sounded great, was comfortable, and always got noticed (admittedly it usually got laughed at, until people heard it play!)
    I only kept it for 3 years ... traded it for a Fender P 5-string, which I never gelled with.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time...:sorry:

Spidey2112, mikewalker and Winslow like this.
  4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    I am still GAS'ing for an XL2, and probably still just as unlikely to get one. :wacky:

;)

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Just been looking at what's being asked for one now, I really really should've kept the damn thing, even as an investment.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The XM predated the Gibson purchase.

7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Being a Steinberger player (which I will be playing tonight and tomorrow), that is a very cool, signed catalog. :thumbsup:

Spidey2112, JimK and Winslow like this.
  8. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Thanks Rich! I remembered your mentioning your Steinberger, and thought you might enjoy this.

I'm not sure what's going on with the picture I put in that first post. It was there earlier, but it looks like the forum software is having some difficulty with attachments. (Maybe it's made of some of my leftover 80's grey cells.) :wacky:

But the PDF is still working, so I guess that's what counts. ;)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    When they came out I tried the early version at the local shop thinking it would be much lighter than my basses but it wasn't so I passed.

10. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Hey hey, the pic's back! Thanks much, @kesslari and the Mod Squad! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. oh man, I would love to have that XL25...someday I will have it..

Winslow likes this.
  12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    No tone wood can compete with carbon fiber, for Allan Holdsworth’s Steinberger produced the most surreal guitar tone ever heard in universe.

4001, Spidey2112 and Winslow like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I purchased mine in '86, as a backup for my Ric...

... $1500, new... white, with soft case.

Yeah, they were cool and fun to play.

nixdad and Winslow like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Again, I feel your pain... see you at the counseling session, tonight.

I'll be playing my NS Wav Radius, which is cool, too... but not the same.

Winslow and Oddly like this.
  15. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I've always regretted selling my XL2T. I still have and do play my L2 though.

Winslow likes this.
  16. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    That's so wonderful! As a college student in the late 80's, and a huge Rush fan who saw them for the first time live on the "Grace Under Pressure" tour (on which Geddy played a Steinberger,) I was both a fanboy and very intrigued by the design concept. I actually smuggled a sales booklet that contained numerous pictures and reprints of reviews out of E. U. Wurlitzer in Boston, which was the local Steinberger dealer. I would pore over it for hours in my bedroom for weeks. When they got a white XL2 in stock early in the summer of '88 I paid a deposit and saved all of my earnings from waiting tables while I was home from school for the summer to put toward that bass, which I took home on 8/8/88. I still have it!

Thanks for the post... here's mine:
    DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

17. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    That is another cool design! Yet another thing for the someday-when-I-hit-the-lottery GAS list. :D

I eventually got an NS EUB, which is also a very cool instrument, but again, definitely not the same thing. ;)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    subtlestew likes this.
  19. yeah, interestingly I saw that tour too, and it got me interested in the Steiny as well...I read that Geddy ended up switching basses because he said that he found the steiny to be unsatisfying in the bottom end...

20. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    I read something similar, though I did note that he was still using the Steinberger when I saw them on the Power Windows tour. Of course, he switched from Steinberger to Wal not long after that.