1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Oct 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. I've used Ken Smith custom balanced string sets on my Kubicki Factor for years, but on the XL2UF, I've only played it with the D'addario ESXL170 set that it shipped with. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different gauges and brands.

sonojono likes this.
  2. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

HAHAH so you’re the one that bought them? The original seller must’ve gone insane to sell em at that price. Kept eyeing them and threw an offer which he respectfully declined. Anyway, good deal man. Hope those flats are treating you well.

3. sonojono

The only GHS strings I found worthy on a Steinberger were Roundcore Boomers, Pressurewounds, Progressives, and surprisingly Brite Flats.

Fretlessaurus likes this.
  4. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    The GHS .135 worked quite well with my Streamer, but the L has punch enough to kick bass plenty on the .128 and by the rather narrow spacing one take any 1/10 of an inch ... just kidding, despite i own the XL5W i prefer the L over it, narrow space is a matter of a week and then one forget about all that.

Fretlessaurus likes this.
  5. My apologies if you're already covered it in a different post or thread, but could you elaborate on your experience with the XL5W? Due to their rarity, most of us will never have a chance to play one, let alone see one in person.

Is the difference between the 4-string L/XL and the XL5W as simple as one more string and a wider neck, or are their other, more subtle differences, such as variances in tone, playing feel and response? Is your preference for your L25 more due to a preference for the L over the XL, or do you think you would also prefer an XL25 (narrow) over your XL5W?

Thanks for your insight.

BergerHead likes this.
  6. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    I played a sadowsky 5 string. fantastic string spacing. similar to that of the xl25w, I hope. I need space...;)
    I also like the enormous punch of Steinberger

Attached Files:

Fretlessaurus and sonojono like this.
  7. I played an unlined fretless 5-string Sukop bass (the model that he now calls "the Classic") at Rudy's Music in NYC back in the 1990s. It looked nearly identical to this bass, with the exception of it being an unlined fretless with an ebony fingerboard:

Sukop, 5 String Bass, 1997 - Randy Coven | Tune Your Sound

It remains the best-feeling 5-string I've ever picked up, and that includes the venerable F Bass BNF-5. The Sukop immediately felt comfortable when I started playing it. The neck radius and string spacing was very similar to my Kubicki Factor, to the point that it felt like I was almost playing the same bass with the exception of an added string. I still think about that bass fondly... Stephen Sukop is still making instruments, and his prices are quite reasonable - way more reasonable than F bass, Fodera, etc., especially considering that his basses are neck-through body construction as standard.

8. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Probably could be every kind of Double Ball Better than original discontinued Steinberger.....

9. I have the string adapter on my XT-25 fiver and love NYXLs. All my five strings have NYXLs...

I use Dunlop Super Brights on all my fours...

The NYXLs are not quite as bright DSBs but the low B is not as floppy as DSB fives and the overall tone is balanced across the strings...

sonojono likes this.
  10. sonojono

I currently use an adaptor made from Headless USA on my XM2 using single string NYXL. I did see they also have them in double ball which I’ll gladly convert over since I’m dead set on strictly using NYXL on the XM2.

Should probably try them on both my XZ Spirit models but they both currently have on GHS RC Boomers and GHS Precision Flats. They both sound really good with those strings surprisingly.

11. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    I'm overflown with work for the moment, but asap i'll report you some insights on the XL5W.

guti and Fretlessaurus like this.
  12. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    I'm curious and more than interested ...:D

13. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    First there was Orville G. but he had no clue on electric basses (until present days), then there was Leo F. -a true genius before the Lord, who scripted the electric bass concept into stone and that seemed ok forever and a day ... alright, i drift off, long story short: Nerdy Ned Steinberger gave it another try and the L1 & 2 got birth and why not ride the upcoming 5er mania? He just added a string on it, but this caused a problem in spacing (which isn't a problem at all) so the world demanded a standard spacing on the Ls and nerdy Ned delivered. But Orvilles' progenitors (meanwhile owning all licenses) hated the costly manufacture of the XL5W and stabbed it down to a wooden clone (a deadly sin imo); so now only 65 of this gems were made beside the wonderful XQ5 (same Japanese metric ZEN hardware), pushing it up with HAZLab electrics (which can be pretty capricious on stage) to give it a never known brute bass punch on 3.6kg only. In comparison the L2-5 comes equal to a '62 Preci but with quite more of a bite on low mids (which i like best) but the XL5W is THE bass monster per se, -comfy coming from other 5ers, but this may be the sole comparison, the rest is bass-madness at its best, what ever you want in tone, you'll get it. To be fair on other, i also own a Warwick Streamer 5 and this baby has an extraordinary 5th string like other brands may have as well, but none i've ever tried and played can go equal to the Bergers.

Steinberger XL5WA 10.jpeg

bonruiz, Fretlessaurus and guti like this.
  14. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    :thumbsup: :D

15. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    I left this baby for my XL2. Nice powerful bass, but the XL25 is my dream ... The XL25w must be ...;)

Attached Files:

BergerHead likes this.
  16. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Wazong! Going on the "Collection" link, one opens the pearly gate to musicians heaven; what a superbe collection!
    WarwickStreamer5_zps79d37b72 2.jpg

17. sonojono

18. BreBla

BreBla

Nov 25, 2019
    9F04DA37-C917-41E1-98E3-C205489134EC.jpeg 0AD99A1A-BCF7-46C7-8310-75DBEA01EC9C.jpeg I love my Steinberger, but also love the look of exotic wood basses. So I built a new top with highly figured curly maple.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    palmann, Basehead, edro and 7 others like this.
  19. Very Impressive! Do you have a bass sound demo? Thank you for sharing! All the Best!!!

sonojono likes this.
  20. BreBla

BreBla

Nov 25, 2019
    No demo, but I can’t tell any sound difference from the original top.

bonruiz and sonojono like this.